High CPU Temps on Watercooling?

Jeff C
Just now, ad1das said:

... are you serious right now... i have never setup a system like you are suggesting, and i never have heat issues.  There is no such thing as too much exhaust....  and heat rising isnt a myth.  It doesnt apply as much in an application where it is watercooled since nothing is really getting hot enough to make the internal temps high, but the way he has it setup is the correct way.

Please stop now, you're making a fool of yourself, I have the top rad as intake and front as exhaust. I have better temps than our man here. Heat rises when there is no airflow, since we have a small volume of air and fans pushing air around, it's actually impossible for air to rise regardless of watercooling or not. There is too much thing as too much exhaust because thats what we are seeing right now, it will be pulling air from the cracks in the case etc to try and keep up with the lack of air being pushed in.

7 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

Please stop now, you're making a fool of yourself, I have the top rad as intake and front as exhaust. I have better temps than our man here. Heat rises when there is no airflow, since we have a small volume of air and fans pushing air around, it's actually impossible for air to rise regardless of watercooling or not. There is too much thing as too much exhaust because thats what we are seeing right now, it will be pulling air from the cracks in the case etc to try and keep up with the lack of air being pushed in.

If thats the case, then why would I have had lower temps before, When i was running in the Phanteks case I had the top 360 pushing air out, the rear exhausting as default and just a basic 140 rad up front pulling air in.  in the prime95 stress test on that set up my cpu hit 60c after 1.5 hours.  I don't mean to de-credit or disrespect your suggestion, i just dont see how before when I had even less intake i was still getting better cooling.  

Its up to you take my advice and all the experimentation i've done over the last 5-6 years or even better listen to linus or just do what you want. I'll leave this vid here but after that i'm out.

Figured it out.  My PWM controller for the front fans was jacked, fixed, it up and now im getting 50 CPU underload, and 34 GPU

28 minutes ago, Jeff C said:

Figured it out.  My PWM controller for the front fans was jacked, fixed, it up and now im getting 50 CPU underload, and 34 GPU

Tried flipping the fans yet to get better cooling? You might be surprised.

13 hours ago, Benjeh said:

Tried flipping the fans yet to get better cooling? You might be surprised.

no, that will be a weekend thing, im going to replace the TIM as well and play around with everything then.  right now im sitting comfy at 40C on GPU and 52C CPU

2 minutes ago, Jeff C said:

no, that will be a weekend thing, im going to replace the TIM as well and play around with everything then.  right now im sitting comfy at 40C on GPU and 52C CPU

now you're talking! much better.

My temps right now, but my room is boiling!

Spoiler

image.png.99af5b573df3355e9d171c92e56f00d5.png

4 hours ago, Benjeh said:

now you're talking! much better.

My temps right now, but my room is boiling!

Hide contents

image.png.99af5b573df3355e9d171c92e56f00d5.png

NICE!.   If i have the ambition I have a 360 PE Rad in the closet, I might replace the 240 front with that, and get some extra intake

23 hours ago, Benjeh said:

yes, look at your config, you have 4 fans sucking air out, only 2 pulling it in, negative air pressure, you're starving the rads.

It depends on the case and rpm:s. Define r6 has an open bottom with dust filter so there is an easy way for air to enter. Just check the h500 reviews if you think negative pressure is somehow a disaster. I does a bit better than r6 while being a bit louder and a bit of fiddling with fan speeds should pretty much equal it out. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

It depends on the case and rpm:s. Define r6 has an open bottom with dust filter so there is an easy way for air to enter. Just check the h500 reviews if you think negative pressure is somehow a disaster. I does a bit better than r6 while being a bit louder and a bit of fiddling with fan speeds should pretty much equal it out. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

I have a define S, positive pressure nets me better temps. and in my 500R before that, and in the other 6 rigs ive built. Work smarter not harder.

3 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

I have a define S, positive pressure nets me better temps. and in my 500R before that, and in the other 6 rigs ive built. Work smarter not harder.

Anecdotes from an opinionated person vs methodical tests. Hard to know what to believe in :D

2 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Anecdotes from an opinionated person vs methodical tests. Hard to know what to believe in :D

Ah so my real world experiments account for nothing because of one youtube video? I best make a video then.

Isn’t that simple. Million variables. Not a real test, especially with the lack of a control. 

Just personal results. Like what every one has. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

@Benjeh i flipped the fans on top as intake, it lowered the average temps by maybe 3-5 degrees. I feel like its my fault for not specifying more clearly my question.  My cpu temps dont sit at 60 consistently, they jump 24-40-30-60-28-50, usually when Im loading an application or waking from sleep or oddly enough going to sleep.  While I know cpu temps should increase when a new instruction set is delivered i dont think it should be spastic.  My next tests will be Tim application, and fan controller, maybe the fan hub that came with the case is just basic.

Anyway I'll update with more testing but I am chipping away at it slowly

9 hours ago, Jeff C said:

@Benjeh i flipped the fans on top as intake, it lowered the average temps by maybe 3-5 degrees. I feel like its my fault for not specifying more clearly my question.  My cpu temps dont sit at 60 consistently, they jump 24-40-30-60-28-50, usually when Im loading an application or waking from sleep or oddly enough going to sleep.  While I know cpu temps should increase when a new instruction set is delivered i dont think it should be spastic.  My next tests will be Tim application, and fan controller, maybe the fan hub that came with the case is just basic.

Anyway I'll update with more testing but I am chipping away at it slowly

Your temps are lowing on average because the rads not getting starved now, 3-5c is a good show of what i was saying. Temp jump what you're describing is normal, I get peaks of 70c but I don't know why as when I stress test etc It won't got that high at all. I think its down to a read error. the only way my rads get hot is if my fans aren't spinnning fast enough for the given load, but its very varied so even if i set my fans up in speedfan they're always not quite right ever so slightly.

It will be fine when I fit my 1080mm rad, there's literally no way in hell the coolant will get warm to the touch.

I was also thinking read error.  I'm not really concerned about the safety of the system so much as I hate how the fans go from quiet to jet engine so much.  But those are things I plan on switching down the road

On 2/19/2019 at 1:10 PM, Benjeh said:

The fractal case is perfectly fine for watercooling, it has mounts for it, they converted some of the internals to produce the Define S which is a full on supported watercooling case. My temps are from the define S with front panel fitted with 10mm space between the front ran mounted externally behind the front bezel, you can see in the image if you look close enough the rad through the bezel.

Here is my set up

An Aquero can do all that. Or wait till you get a better board. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, Jeff C said:

I was also thinking read error.  I'm not really concerned about the safety of the system so much as I hate how the fans go from quiet to jet engine so much.  But those are things I plan on switching down the road

Here is my set up

The image isn't showing up for me my dude, If you want to stop your fans going insane then download speed fan and it will give you a lot of control over your fans. You can buy an Aquero like @Mick Naughty Suggested too but they're very pricey and I can't justify that cost right now, it is however a future purchase down the line. The only issue with speedfan is it takes ages to in order to set everything up how you like it.

• 6 months later...
On 2/19/2019 at 4:57 PM, Jeff C said:

I think my GPU temps are fine for my card tbh, lower than it use to its, only the cpu thats the concern..maybe the fans, what your opinion on the vardars, i been eyeing the vardar 120?  Im using the EK TIM on the GPU, and Cooler Master TIM on the CPU, thinking of maybe replacing that with either EK or A.S

I would be fairly amazed if using liquid metal TIM didn't bring down CPU temps quite a lot. I can't understand why one would go to one extreme (putting water inside a PC!) and not go to the other (metal on the heat spreader).

Don’t think water is a pc is that extreme. Especially given how common place aio’s are. 

My 9900K hits 45c during gaming when not overclocked, and when overclocked to 5.3 it goes up to 60C more or less.

How much voltage have you crammed into the CPU?

EDIT: 1.3V okay, so I think maybe the pump or fans are running too slow? / rads are slim and you need to compensate with fan speed.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.