PC+Monitor combo at about $1000

Nobaris

Hello guys! Nobaris back here again. (This post is unrelated with my last.) My dear friend, Johnny, is looking for a good PC setup to run mainly light work as well as overclocked gaming. However he has an extremely tight budget, at $1000-$1500 for both a PC and a monitor, and is looking to find great value for his money. Anybody who would comment on what PC parts he should get, please try to put it in a PCPartPicker web link. (Note: He is fine with both prebuilt and custom PCs.) He has been running into a lot of trouble regarding price and quality, so I am here helping him find a sweet spot for his PC via the LTT forum. Any ideas, opinions and feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance!

That's definitely not an extremely tight budget, unless it's Australian or New Zealand dollars. What is "light work", what games will he be playing, and what kind of monitor are you looking for (high resolution, high refresh rate, both, neither).

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Also were is your friend located? Just the country, I don't need their home address.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I just put something together that has everything he might want or need and more:

If he really likes his money and doesnt need more cores:

On 2/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, LukeSavenije said:

any preferences on resolution, refresh rate or something else on the build?

To be honest, he has no burning desires on this build, the best performance you can squeeze out would be the most desired option. However, on the monitor, he definitely prizes refresh rate (144hz minimum as far as possible) over other specs like resolution or response time. This is most likely because he might be using the PC to game too. All he wants is the best performance (70/30 gaming/working) for the budget mostly for  AAA games. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, Cereal5 said:

That's definitely not an extremely tight budget, unless it's Australian or New Zealand dollars. What is "light work", what games will he be playing, and what kind of monitor are you looking for (high resolution, high refresh rate, both, neither).

It’s SGD. “Light work” would mean opening emails, working on Microsoft Excel, or using Skype, for example. On the games, he most usually plays AAA games of similar taste to mine?, like Overwatch, CS:GO mainly. For the monitor, he definitely prizes refresh rate (144hz or around there as much as possible) more than other specs. Thanks for replying!

On 2/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, martward said:

Also were is your friend located? Just the country, I don't need their home address.

He is from Singapore. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:56 PM, Mephi00 said:

Video Card

Might be a bit tough, but could we squeeze in an RTX card? If not, maybe a 1660 Ti might be possible. This could be difficult though, as we might have to skimp a little more on the other parts, but I think it is possible. 

On 2/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, LukeSavenije said:

This...this is actually quite perfect! It meets all his needs, under the budget. Well thought-out! However, I have a few opinions. I don’t think an 8-core CPU is necessary. We could definitely reach 4GHz with lesser cores at around that price point or a bit more. Also, the power supply efficiency (80+ Gold) kind of sucks and could burn a hole in his electricity bill. Could we reach at least 80+ Gold, if not Titanium or even Platinum? Other than that, this build is close to perfect! ? Thanks for this amazing suggestion!

8 minutes ago, Nobaris said:

This...this is actually quite perfect! It meets all his needs, under the budget. Well thought-out! However, I have a few opinions. I don’t think an 8-core CPU is necessary. We could definitely reach 4GHz with lesser cores at around that price point or a bit more. Also, the power supply efficiency (80+ Gold) kind of sucks and could burn a hole in his electricity bill. Could we reach at least 80+ Gold, if not Titanium or even Platinum? Other than that, this build is close to perfect! ? Thanks for this amazing suggestion!

platinum or titanium is possible, but i don't see why here, gold should be more than enough. for the notice, 80+ bronze isn't going to burn a hole in the bill. and i can tell you, i have one

added a cooler too by request

On 2/25/2019 at 5:31 PM, LukeSavenije said:

added a cooler too by request

What about the CPU? Any chance we could reach 4GHz? As I’ve said above, both he and I think an 8 core CPU ,honestly, isn’t necessary. However, if you struggle to find one, it’s all right. I’ll try my best to find one myself too. 

58 minutes ago, Nobaris said:

What about the CPU? Any chance we could reach 4GHz? As I’ve said above, both he and I think an 8 core CPU ,honestly, isn’t necessary. However, if you struggle to find one, it’s all right. I’ll try my best to find one myself too. 

i mean, i can't say what silicon lottery does, but normally they can hit 4,1-4,3

43 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i mean, i can't say what silicon lottery does, but normally they can hit 4,1-4,3

I’m currently considering either the i5-9400F or the Ryzen 5 2600, however I’m not sure of which to pick. The i5 can reach higher clock speeds of about 4.1-4.2MGHz, which is definitely better for gaming. On the other hand, the Ryzen can only reach 3.3GHz max, but can be overclocked to 3.9GHz and has more cores/threads. Can someone help me male a decision and reasons why? Alternatively, if you have other CPU suggestions, it must be a) about or more than 4.0GHz, b) $200 or less, and c) hopefully overclockable. (It’s going to be used mainly for gaming, so a high number of cores/threads are not as important.) 

Is anything wrong with that? And yes, I am reminded that the i5-9400F isn’t overclockable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question, is the Phanteks P350X a good option for this build? Its cheap, reasonably featured, as well as very stylish. Need a little opinion here!