My girlfriend's birthday present.

SGBudgetGamer
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
Just now, SGBudgetGamer said:

She's mostly in her office, she uses a Dell but she complaints the screen is too small. 

I was thinking either ger her 32 inch monitor with the laptop or a 32 inch ryzen build

so there is a few times she does travel. Get her a laptop then with a good external monitor. 

Just now, PacketMan said:

Yeah I read your post above

Again, I repeat that her girlfriend got her laptop for 7 years, 7 fucking years, and OP claim that without problems

Do you think a Chromebook won't throttle? Just take a look at any normal Chromebook, shitty SSD, shitty CPU, shitty RAM, shitty screen; if OP wants a nice laptop then let him get a laptop, any problem she goes by, OP will surely come here and ask, do you really think that with a desktop the non-techies won't have any problem?

I don't know why you are splitting laptops and desktops, those are almost the same: non-techies won't upgrade, won't know how to solve a problem, won't know how to almost anything, it doesn't really matter if it's a desktop or a laptop, Windows computers will have the exact same problems wether it's a laptop or a desktop

Plus, having everything in the same machine is always better than having to switch between two different machines, I start to swear every time I have to turn on my laptop to pick a file because I forgot to upload it to the cloud.

First:

Hmmm I don't know if the OP's situation where his GF had her laptop for 7 yrs is really relevant to the topic of non techies are tech illiterate. One example doesn't prove anything thats basic scientific reasoning (also known as Correlation doesn't equal causation). But I think u were getting at another part. Where as for OP's situation she isn't to far lost when it comes to tech, To which I would agree but to a point. We have no clue the full story of how she managed to keep her Laptop working fine for that long. 

- Let it be she just turned it on and did Excel and turned it off. Therefore no real problems would occur

- Or maybe she used it for barely anything and therefore never felt the need to upgrade since browser based shit is easy to run so she never really felt a slow down. So it lasted her that long. 

We have no clue is my point, So we need to make some educated guesses. He could tell us that but thats just getting into the weeds really. 

Second:

Ugg I really didn't wanna explain all this into the weeds shit. But fine. Ok how can I say this...... with the mainstream folk they would rather do nothing then something. So when something works they will just leave. Simple right. ok

Because of this someone like me or the even the OP could build this mainstream person a good working desktop PC that would work and turn on easy for yrs to come. So..

The only reason something would change would either be:

- it slows down and becomes unusable or

- it breaks and needs troubleshooting. 

So y I say its better to give a mainstreamer a Desktop and a laptop is because we are eliminating one of these steps ENTIRELY by doing this method. WHich is they will never run into the slow down issue. Because its a desktop, simple. Ohh and since its a Desktop Tower aka its using consumer off the shelf parts if there is any issue aka the only other issue I mentioned then if this theoretical mainstream guy could just go to a repair shop and get it fixed much easier and faster then could be done with a Laptop.

YES U ARE RIGHT laptops and desktops will likely have the same issues. But My option (aka the desktop plus chromebook) wont or at the least won't as much. Because laptops are just more complex things. Sorry but laptops aren't they way in most statistical scenarios. A desktop is just better.

Third:

Ohh u also mentioned about how it is harder for a non techie to adapt to swapping files between them instead of just having it on one single thing. Good point really it is. Buttttttt again I'll reiterate non techies are simple things if something works they will stick with it. ALONG WITH THAT they are also human so they adapt quick even if they aren't versed in that field. 

By this I mean once someone that does know what they are doing shows them how to do it right they will figure it out and then stick with it. So this possible organizational error doesn't really stand on its own feet. 

4th thing:

So I hope I explained the possible statistical nature of why the desktop chromebook combo is superior. I'm not blind I know there are outliers I myself have many friends who are one of them and had to do a diff way. But MY OVERARCHING POINT is that for most people (even this OP's GF with her let it be luck or actual effort she took to keep her laptop in good shape). My suggestion would work perfectly for them. 

Also last thing because the OP is somewhat techie and also has access and knowledge of this forum and all the help he can get from it. It makes even more sense for her to get a desktop. Not only for the listed benefits above I outline. BUT when she does run into the dreaded performance is lacking crap with her desktop which won't happen for A WHILE with her workflow but when it does. He can come here to figure how to upgrade the Desktop and what parts to get. 

U can't say that about a laptop your stuck with whats sautered to the damn stupid thing.

I rest my case....

Just now, PacketMan said:

TL;DR: windows laptops and desktops -> same problems and same knowledge for a non-techies; 1 device > 2 devices for work; a laptop CPU won't degrade faster than a desktop CPU, so the performance loss is the same in a laptop than in a desktop; needless to say a chromebook is a joke for kids and students who just want to edit a few papers file

I'll stop replying here because I'm not sure if you are trolling me tho or if you are taking this seriously with real experience.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... I wasn't trolling there bud.  I know the consumer base and I know how their mindset works. Because of that I'm swaying them into a safer less expensive direction that won't end in complete disarray as it does for pretty much all of them. 

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

14 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Funny how some people react here.

On one side, yes people might call your mental for buying your misses something valued at anything over $500.

On the other side, people really shouldnt care - it aint your money, it's that persons money and his decision. Also we didnt know at first the relationship to his girlfriend. I personally would say less than 2 years together be bit mental, but if you been together for like 5 years and planning to get married. 

Fuck sky is the limit really... (and your bank balance). I bought my ex a watch once - She actually offered to give it back when we broke up, told her to keep it)

I get what u mean but like come on who the fuck spends more then 500 bucks on your partner unless its your damn proposal. The only reason is if u make more then the average salary for your country which this OP does but thats not the point. Y we are put back is because we do not make more than the average salary where we live (Most likely speaking of course).

Now imagine if the girl u broke up with in a another universe. DIDN"T go down well meaning u hated each other after the breakup. So instead of giving the watch back to u nicely and rationally she because she was emotional at u said "Nah I fucking hate you Im taking it or I'm throwing it away."

I'm pretty sure that would leave quite the bad taste in your mouth for the next GF or BF wouldn't it now. Now u understand where we are coming from....

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

Read the title and was hoping this wasn't just going to be a dick pic that hadn't been removed yet, as the girlfriends birthday present...

Anyway, one suggestion, if she is going to do accountancy on it, find out how much Excel usage she does - if there are plenty of formulas that recalculate a lot of stuff when one thing might be all thats changed in it. If she does (a lot of accountants do for various things) then get something with a really good processor - one with all of the threads and a decent clockspeed otherwise she'll just be wasting time waiting for things to recalculate (yes, I know you can disable auto recalc). Also, would suggest a minimum of a 15" screen if should does a lot just on that without a separate monitor as Excel on laptops makes me want to headdesk most of the time anyway.

43 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Funny how some people react here.

On one side, yes people might call your mental for buying your misses something valued at anything over $500.

On the other side, people really shouldnt care - it aint your money, it's that persons money and his decision. Also we didnt know at first the relationship to his girlfriend. I personally would say less than 2 years together be bit mental, but if you been together for like 5 years and planning to get married. 

Fuck sky is the limit really... (and your bank balance). I bought my ex a watch once - She actually offered to give it back when we broke up, told her to keep it)

lol, we've been together for 6 years and 8years as colleagues. 

11 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

I get what u mean but like come on who the fuck spends more then 500 bucks on your partner unless its your damn proposal. The only reason is if u make more then the average salary for your country which this OP does but thats not the point. Y we are put back is because we do not make more than the average salary where we live (Most likely speaking of course).

Now imagine if the girl u broke up with in a another universe. DIDN"T go down well meaning u hated each other after the breakup. So instead of giving the watch back to u nicely and rationally she because she was emotional at u said "Nah I fucking hate you Im taking it or I'm throwing it away."

I'm pretty sure that would leave quite the bad taste in your mouth for the next GF or BF wouldn't it now. Now u understand where we are coming from....

First off her company provides hardware maintenance every year making sure none of us (the employees) don't download viruses, keyloggers, and other crap and also maintenance. 

If she breaks up with me I could always fire her, or send her to the worst on site office in China Muahahaha.. Just kidding

In Darkness We Seek A Light, In Light We Seek The Darkness.

Dennis Cromwell. 

With Questions We Seek An Answer, With A Answer We Seek Out More Questions.

My Interpretation. 

I'm in the laptop camp. If it's for business and budget is not really an issue, a good old decked out ThinkPad T5xx with a docking station + a nice monitor setup would be my go to.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB