My girlfriend's birthday present.

SGBudgetGamer
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
Just now, SGBudgetGamer said:

She's mostly in her office, she uses a Dell but she complaints the screen is too small. 

I was thinking either ger her 32 inch monitor with the laptop or a 32 inch ryzen build

so there is a few times she does travel. Get her a laptop then with a good external monitor. 

Should I build her a system or get her a laptop? 

She's an accountant and her laptop is like 7 Years old. 

In Darkness We Seek A Light, In Light We Seek The Darkness.

Dennis Cromwell. 

With Questions We Seek An Answer, With A Answer We Seek Out More Questions.

My Interpretation. 

does she travel for work at all? 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

does she travel for work at all? 

She's mostly in her office, she uses a Dell but she complaints the screen is too small. 

I was thinking either ger her 32 inch monitor with the laptop or a 32 inch ryzen build

Dennis Cromwell. 

My Interpretation. 

Just now, SGBudgetGamer said:

so there is a few times she does travel. Get her a laptop then with a good external monitor. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

stop buying expensive stuff for your girlfriend. She has her own money. She can leave at any moment and your stuff is gone.

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

stop buying expensive stuff for your girlfriend. She has her own money. She can leave at any moment and your stuff is gone.

Ah yes, buying gifts, the ultimate con.

Go be jaded somewhere else.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A sack of baby d...onkeys?

A laptop would be better choice than a full system I guess

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Thanks guys. 

Dennis Cromwell. 

My Interpretation. 

That seems like really expensive gifts. How long have you been together?

Buying expensive gifts might seem like a nice gesture but often times it put a lot of pressure on the receiver to match that when it's your birthday.

How much do you usually spend on presents to each other?

26 minutes ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

laptop

get laptop if portability is an issue

Where are you from? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

bad experiences with ladies? (or guys)

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

U could always just buy her a chromebook for work shit aka docs and chrome. Then when she needs real work done she can use the sub 600 Ryzen build at home or u can spend a bit more like 800 and get a Small form factor PC case. 

1 hour ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

Sorry but blowing money on a Windows laptop that will be outdated once u buy it is just dumb. I wholeheartedly disagree. In this Tech climate the approach I outline aka get a chromebook and a real PC is the one that makes sense for 90% of people. I'd love to see how I'm wrong please show me how I am. Cause I very well could be.

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

19 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

U could always just buy her a chromebook for work shit aka docs and chrome. Then when she needs real work done she can use the sub 600 Ryzen build at home or u can spend a bit more like 800 and get a Small form factor PC case. 

Sorry but blowing money on a Windows laptop that will be outdated once u buy it is just dumb. I wholeheartedly disagree. In this Tech climate the approach I outline aka get a chromebook and a real PC is the one that makes sense for 90% of people. I'd love to see how I'm wrong please show me how I am. Cause I very well could be.

Chromebook wouldnt work for an accountant. The lack of RAM in most and low tier CPU would get destroyed in Excel and accounting software. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

get laptop if portability is an issue

Where are you from? Budget? Usage? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Singapore, $3500(usd$2800), her accountant work and nope. 

Dennis Cromwell. 

My Interpretation. 

8 minutes ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

$2800 USD u shiting me.........

U should change your name man.

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Chromebook wouldnt work for an accountant. The lack of RAM in most and low tier CPU would get destroyed in Excel and accounting software. 

Point made. U can just get a Chromebook........hold up.

Ok his budget is 2800 USD so this gives us some working space. If it was like 1k max then I'd say go with your early option for him aka a mid range Windows trashtop I mean Cough cough laptop with a NICE monitor. 

15 minutes ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

First Option:

But since hes in Macbook pro levels of cash spending I got another idea. Ok so Currently there aren't many Chromebooks with 8gbs of ram, but there are a few. So My idea is to buy one of these for 800 USD which will manage your accountant shit fine. THEN build her a nice PC for 2k USD, with a Nice 4k 27in IPS panel. For home. But again does she need a nice 1k up PC for home unless she games she might be good with a 600 PC and u can invest or pocket the rest.

Second Option:

Is it possible for you to just drop off a PC at her office perhaps? I mean she works at a desk right so why not put a small form factor PC either on the desk or on the ground and bam u don't need to EVER use a shitty Laptop.

To which u spend 1200 on that Office computer and then spend the rest either on a Gaming PC for her at home which I doubt she will use. She might so think would she use it, if not then just pocket the money. Easy

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

7 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

We are not talking about buying an iPhone 7 for cheap, or getting a brand new car which will drop nearly 30% of the price once you set a plate on it, we are talking about real products and it seems like you don't understand what "outdated" means.

"Outdated" means "obsolete" that is no longer relevant nor functional for nowadays work, you claim that Windows laptops are outdated once you buy it and @SGBudgetGamer girlfriend is doing almost fine with a 7 year old laptop with the only con that its screen is too small. "You can do everything with a chromebook" HA. You can do everything with a Chromebook but a modern laptop (i7-8550U/i7-8750H) is already obsolete? Are you a troll? OP has enough money to buy a nice laptop (a nice laptop for her GF could be anything from $600 to $1200) and even a nice monitor for work

Ohh no I'm not stupid I get what u mean. That means nothing tho. Unless u are buying a 2k or above Windows laptop its worthless after 1-2 yrs. Alright the lowest I will go is 1500 USD, but thats stretching it.

I'm speaking generally of course because getting into specifics is gonna take wayyyy to damnnnn long.

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

14 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

We are not talking about buying an iPhone 7 for cheap, or getting a brand new car which will drop nearly 30% of the price once you set a plate on it, we are talking about real products and it seems like you don't understand what "outdated" means.

"Outdated" means "obsolete" that is no longer relevant nor functional for nowadays work, you claim that Windows laptops are outdated once you buy it and @SGBudgetGamer girlfriend is doing almost fine with a 7 year old laptop with the only con that its screen is too small. "You can do everything with a chromebook" HA. You can do everything with a Chromebook but a modern laptop (i7-8550U/i7-8750H) is already obsolete? Are you a troll? OP has enough money to buy a nice laptop (a nice laptop for her GF could be anything from $600 to $1200) and even a nice monitor for work

Ok I'll explain a little.

I say this because while yes for someone like us we could likely get it to last 4 yrs. But we aren't the average joe shmow thats tech illiterate. Those folk aka 90% of the market turn it on and want it to work perfect. For them it won't they are dumb and will get shit on it that will bog it down and ruin it. 

The hardware isn't great in them but its alright and as I said we could get it last 4 yrs easy. But they wouldn't they are again dumb its not there fault they just don't care. So Because of that I don't recommend anything above 1500 for a Windows laptop because combined with the Laptop grade internals and the stupidity of the average person. The thing will be ruined in 1-2 yrs, they will then complain and have to buy another. 

Easy way to think about this is when apple secretly throttled iPhone CPU clock speeds because the battery was horseshit after 2 yrs. The average idiot just said "hey its slow well this sucks. Ohh look theres a new iPhone out anyway lets just get a new one."

Simple people are the majority of population so I am trying my best to account for that stupidity and save them money and time by making them No FORCING them to get a Chromebook. And then if they somehow need more power doubtful but if they do they will need to get a real desktop in the sub 600 range. 

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

23 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

$2800 USD u shiting me.........

U should change your name man.

Budget does not mean I'm poor, I just like to keep myself to a price and get the best value for my money. After all I am 38 I plan to get married. That takes a shit ton of my savings just for wedding reception, the church rental, the wedding gown, the wedding dinner. I'm not poor neither am I a millionaire. 

14 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

Point made. U can just get a Chromebook........hold up.

Ok his budget is 2800 USD so this gives us some working space. If it was like 1k max then I'd say go with your early option for him aka a mid range Windows trashtop I mean Cough cough laptop with a NICE monitor. 

First Option:

But since hes in Macbook pro levels of cash spending I got another idea. Ok so Currently there aren't many Chromebooks with 8gbs of ram, but there are a few. So My idea is to buy one of these for 800 USD which will manage your accountant shit fine. THEN build her a nice PC for 2k USD, with a Nice 4k 27in IPS panel. For home. But again does she need a nice 1k up PC for home unless she games she might be good with a 600 PC and u can invest or pocket the rest.

Second Option:

Is it possible for you to just drop off a PC at her office perhaps? I mean she works at a desk right so why not put a small form factor PC either on the desk or on the ground and bam u don't need to EVER use a shitty Laptop.

To which u spend 1200 on that Office computer and then spend the rest either on a Gaming PC for her at home which I doubt she will use. She might so think would she use it, if not then just pocket the money. Easy

She doesn't game just yet, I picked up gaming so that I could understand computers abit more so I could fix hers if I needed to. And share gaming with her when she's not working. 

5 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

She was complaining the screen was small, it looked ugly (white turning brown) and it took forever to load windows XP. Plus her birthday was coming up in 2weeks.

Dennis Cromwell. 

My Interpretation. 

1 minute ago, PacketMan said:

You are kidding me. Are the 4th gen Intel laptop CPUs outdated? No, we are not talking about gaming performance here where you have the fps counter to show you the "real" performance, we are talking about accountant stuff and that's just about CPU power and RAM. Tell me about a 3 year old laptop that is already outdated (not for gaming).

Here you have the performance comparison between the i7-6700HQ from 2015 and one of the most used CPUs for Chromebooks N3060

Yeah, I clearly see what you mean by outdated while recommending a Chromebook lol

Dude I'm not stupid I know this lol. Your missing the point we here are all biased techies therefore when I say anything anything below 2k is worthless I'm talking NOT ABOUT US but about that girlfriend of this OP. She doesn't know tech that is who I'm accounting for by saying this. U probably didn't see my above post yet. That explains my point better.

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

7 minutes ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

Budget does not mean I'm poor, I just like to keep myself to a price and get the best value for my money. After all I am 38 I plan to get married. That takes a shit ton of my savings just for wedding reception, the church rental, the wedding gown, the wedding dinner. I'm not poor neither am I a millionaire. 

She doesn't game just yet, I picked up gaming so that I could understand computers abit more so I could fix hers if I needed to. And share gaming with her when she's not working. 

She was complaining the screen was small, it looked ugly (white turning brown) and it took forever to load windows XP. Plus her birthday was coming up in 2weeks.

First:

Nah I get that was just making a funny ? 

Second:

Ya kinda thought that. Hmmmm alrit ask yourself this when u do if ever play games with her does she have an interest in them genuinely or is she just doing it to be nice for you sort of thing. It can be hard to read such a thing but if u can its important. Because if u do see a spark within her for gaming and I MEAN SEE one u have to be for sure. 

Then I would say get her a sub 800 USD PC. But if u have doubts she genuinely likes games (Ohh hint if she played games when she was sub 25 age wise then thats an easy way to answer it with out reading her as u are playing. FYI) then I wouldn't just blow more of it on a nice laptop and Display oddly enough.

Second:

U didn't get back to me about the possibility of you buying a sub 600 USD PC that you can just bring into her work and set up at her desk. Is that something she could do if so that would SAVE U shit tons of money. 

edit:

I'm being picky because thats how cheap or budgty folk go. So.....

Storage:

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

58 minutes ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, SGBudgetGamer said:

Jesus Christ, you looking for a new (boy) girlfriend?!

Funny how some people react here.

On one side, yes people might call your mental for buying your misses something valued at anything over $500.

On the other side, people really shouldnt care - it aint your money, it's that persons money and his decision. Also we didnt know at first the relationship to his girlfriend. I personally would say less than 2 years together be bit mental, but if you been together for like 5 years and planning to get married. 

Fuck sky is the limit really... (and your bank balance). I bought my ex a watch once - She actually offered to give it back when we broke up, told her to keep it)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

26 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

First:

Nah I get that was just making a funny ? 

Second:

Ya kinda thought that. Hmmmm alrit ask yourself this when u do if ever play games with her does she have an interest in them genuinely or is she just doing it to be nice for you sort of thing. It can be hard to read such a thing but if u can its important. Because if u do see a spark within her for gaming and I MEAN SEE one u have to be for sure. 

Then I would say get her a sub 800 USD PC. But if u have doubts she genuinely likes games (Ohh hint if she played games when she was sub 25 age wise then thats an easy way to answer it with out reading her as u are playing. FYI) then I wouldn't just blow more of it on a nice laptop and Display oddly enough.

Second:

U didn't get back to me about the possibility of you buying a sub 600 USD PC that you can just bring into her work and set up at her desk. Is that something she could do if so that would SAVE U shit tons of money. 

edit:

I'm being picky because thats how cheap or budgty folk go. So.....

I won't get her a second hand pc because it's a birthday present, it's not really nice to give pre-owned stuff as presents when you can afford new. 

Dennis Cromwell. 

My Interpretation.