First pc build looking for advice

Jord179001

Hey everyone I’m new to PC building but recently I got a deal on two GTX 1070’s so I went out and bought a motherboard I ended up getting a msi mpg z 390 gaming pro carbon. I would like to use both graphics cards in sli i am looking for any Recommendations for a CPU a power supply and also the ram requirements any help would be great thank you

16gbs of RAM would work for a system of that caliber. I would get a high end Ryzen cpu or a mid range intel cpu. I also would get at least a 750 watt psu as well. I would recommend putting this build in pcparkpicker to check for compatibilities. Good luck on your build!

If you're going to SLI GTX 1070s, you may as well get an i9-9900K to make sure they're well fed. 16GB of RAM minimum, speed is less significant on Intel than on AMD, but I'd get at least a 2800 kit for good measure. 3200 woudn't hurt by any means, and is reasonably priced. Power supply would require a 750W minimum, and I would probably swing for a 800-850W personally. It would be a bit of a waste to go with anything below 80+ gold, and I'm a big fan of pure digital.

1 minute ago, Elevate said:

16gbs of RAM would work for a system of that caliber. I would get a high end Ryzen cpu or a mid range intel cpu. I also would get at least a 750 watt psu as well. I would recommend putting this build in pcparkpicker to check for compatibilities. Good luck on your build!

Dude he said he has a Z390 board.  

6 minutes ago, Jord179001 said:

Hey everyone I’m new to PC building but recently I got a deal on two GTX 1070’s so I went out and bought a motherboard I ended up getting a msi mpg z 390 gaming pro carbon. I would like to use both graphics cards in sli i am looking for any Recommendations for a CPU a power supply and also the ram requirements any help would be great thank you

If it were me yes 16Gb of any decent speed ram (2666 MHz or higher) and for a cpu a few options:

1. i7-8700K if you plan to eventually upgrade your system and aren't looking to piss away $500 on a Core i9 9900K 
  2. i7-9700K if you plan on gaming and streaming a lot and don't have any reason for 8C /16T
  3. i5-9600K If you need something for straight game and overclocking.

Remember that none of these chips come with coolers so you have to get an AIO or do some sort of high fin density cooler.  Sorry I know this is a lot to digest at once.  For a PSU aim for a Gold or Platinum 850 Watt or higher, because those cards draw 200+ Watts if my memory serves me right and if you overclock one of those chips you're looking in the high 600's for a draw.  Hope this helps :)

6 minutes ago, Elevate said:

He already has a Z390 motherboard...

Let's get an Intel CPU that will work in it. And SLI GTX 1070s should get at least an i7-9700.

2 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

If you're going to SLI GTX 1070s, you may as well get an i9-9900K to make sure they're well fed. 16GB of RAM minimum, speed is less significant on Intel than on AMD, but I'd get at least a 2800 kit for good measure. 3200 woudn't hurt by any means, and is reasonably priced. Power supply would require a 750W minimum, and I would probably swing for a 800-850W personally. It would be a bit of a waste to go with anything below 80+ gold, and I'm a big fan of pure digital.

He has a Z390 board

1 minute ago, RobFRaschke said:

He already has a Z390 motherboard...

Let's get an Intel CPU that will work in it. And SLI GTX 1070s should get at least an i7-9700.

Did I break it down well above?

Awesome thanks I am also looking at the i5 9600k or a i7 8700k any thoughts ? 

1 minute ago, RobFRaschke said:

should get at least an i7-9700.

Even the 9000 series are so hot and expensive,  you will sure regret not to have hyperthreading.

get the 9900k instead of 9700k. 

4 minutes ago, GateToTheFuture said:

He has a Z390 board

2 minutes ago, GateToTheFuture said:

Did I break it down well above?

I'm not sure you're responding to the right person. I made the same point as you, in contrast to Elevate's suggestion of an AMD.

8 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Power supply would require a 750W minimum, and I would probably swing for a 800-850W personally.

How did you come to that figure?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Jord179001 said:

Are there any power supply brands to avoid?

many, most of them you never heard of (eg: GTR)

there is a psu tier list here , Tier 2 looks reasonably good and affordable to me 

9 minutes ago, Jord179001 said:

Awesome thanks I am also looking at the i5 9600k or a i7 8700k any thoughts ? 

Good all around

4 minutes ago, Jord179001 said:

Are there any power supply brands to avoid?

Avoid everything except cosair, evga, seasonic or silverstone.

14 minutes ago, GateToTheFuture said:

Dude he said he has a Z390 board.  

If it were me yes 16Gb of any decent speed ram (2666 MHz or higher) and for a cpu a few options:

1. i7-8700K if you plan to eventually upgrade your system and aren't looking to piss away $500 on a Core i9 9900K 
  2. i7-9700K if you plan on gaming and streaming a lot and don't have any reason for 8C /16T
  3. i5-9600K If you need something for straight game and overclocking.

Remember that none of these chips come with coolers so you have to get an AIO or do some sort of high fin density cooler.  Sorry I know this is a lot to digest at once.  For a PSU aim for a Gold or Platinum 850 Watt or higher, because those cards draw 200+ Watts if my memory serves me right and if you overclock one of those chips you're looking in the high 600's for a draw.  Hope this helps :)

While I may not be the smartest I know a z390 isn’t an am4 chipset, he could also purchase a new mobo and return the older one.

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

How did you come to that figure?

Rough brain math. TDP on the 1070s is 150 in stock form. The 9900K is 95W theoretically, and in stock form, misc power for the system, theoretical BARE minimum is probably 500W. Any overclocking will increase that number pretty drastically, and pretty quickly, and power supplies are their most efficient between fifty and seventy five percent. Relatively off the cuff.

thanks For the advice everyone I am Hoping to grab a CPU and a power supply this week I’ll keep everyone posted I may need more help along the way thanks again

3 minutes ago, Elevate said:

While I may not be the smartest I know a z390 isn’t an am4 chipset, he could also purchase a new mobo and return the older one.

WHY?!? Intel has better IPC, better max clock rates, and ostensibly the best performance for gaming.

6 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

WHY?!? Intel has better IPC, better max clock rates, and ostensibly the best performance for gaming.

Have you ever questioned value? OP might have spent most of the money towards the motherboard and 1070s

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

10 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

For a budget build amd wins, but for this intel is better.

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Have you ever questioned value? OP might have spent most of the money towards the motherboard and 1070s

I have not, I have a 2600 in the system I'm typing from. And a 2400G in the system I just built for my nephews. And a 200GE(which I admittedly overpaid for on ebay) getting ready to go into my new home media server.

However the presumption that he could, or would want to return a perfectly good motherboard that he already picked out, to get the better value, is borderline preposterous.

Just now, RobFRaschke said:

I have not, I have a 2600 in the system I'm typing from. And a 2400G in the system I just built for my nephews. And a 200GE(which I admittedly overpaid for on ebay) getting ready to go into my new home media server.

However the presumption that he could, or would want to return a perfectly good motherboard that he already picked out, to get the better value, is borderline preposterous.

Honestly I don't see it as bad, but thats just for OP's case. I think this, because he has a $220 (on newegg) motherboard that he could sell and get a way better motherboard that costs less. A Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite is significantly cheaper and overclocks much better than the MSI board and even the Asus Maximus Hero XI.

Also I think he should sell the 1070 because SLI is not a good choice right now (power consumption, low support in games).

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I bought the gpu s for 500 for the pair and I chose the msi board because it seemed like a good value for the money and it was  on sale