Please help me! Overclock old GPU! URGENT!

Dijon
22 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Where does this "32-bit Windows is faster" stuff come from? I've never seen 32-bit Windows as faster or slower than 64-bit. The only difference is in the memory requirements. 32-bit usually requires a bit less, but that's not an issue here. The 4GB installed is well above the minimums for W7. If anything, a downgrade to 32-bit would be counterproductive, because it would put a hard 4GB cap on RAM right before the OP bumps up to 8. Please don't suggest people step back to an old, vulnerable, badly-supported architecture. The only reason to run 32-bit Windows today is a 32-bit CPU, and if you're running a 32-bit CPU in your main PC today, you need a new PC.

You will be limited in GTA by a Q6600, no question, but an E6750 would be lucky to even run the game. Once the Sandy or Ivy chip (or later generation--you never know when you'll find a deal) is in the cards, life is going to be much better.

I have the same CPU for my Dell Laptop.  32-Bit runs much faster

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

6 minutes ago, Dijon said:

What do you think of the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400? Its only £4 extra from the Q6600 and I believe its a bit more powerful. Another problem is that I searched up power consumptions and the E6750 only takes 65W TDW, while the other two, Q9400 and the Q6600 take 95W TDP, what is TDP? Will my PSU support the extra 30?

The Q9400 is basically an updated Q6600 in terms of performance. Your board does support overclocking (at least FSB overclocking), so you should be able to get it to the same 3.0GHz that you could get the Q6600 to, if not higher.

TDP has a lengthy explanation behind it. The short version is that you can closely estimate a part's power draw using it. A 95W CPU will draw roughly 95W of power at stock. So if you overclock, you're going to see that number go higher. HWMonitor is a good way to see how much power your CPU is drawing. I think a 300W PSU, especially a decent one like an FSP, should be able to handle an overclocked Q9400 and a 1050 Ti. The 1050 Ti is capped at 75W, and the 240 you have should only be drawing something like 60W under full load. Upgrade the PSU to 450W+ when you can, but don't buy a crappy PSU because it says "500W" on the label. Lots of 500W PSUs would be lucky to hit 250W before the internals release magic smoke and the whole thing goes bye-bye. You should be ok for now with what you have.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, THraShArD said:

I have the same CPU for my Dell Laptop.  32-Bit runs much faster

You have an E6750 Core 2 Duo desktop CPU socketed in an LGA 775 board in your Dell laptop?

It's the same crap, just mobile version.

CPU came out in 2007 and Windows XP Service Pack 3 came out  April 21, 2008.  It's technically supported for XP and not really good for 64-Bit Windows 7

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The Q9400 is basically an updated Q6600 in terms of performance. Your board does support overclocking (at least FSB overclocking), so you should be able to get it to the same 3.0GHz that you could get the Q6600 to, if not higher.

TDP has a lengthy explanation behind it. The short version is that you can closely estimate a part's power draw using it. A 95W CPU will draw roughly 95W of power at stock. So if you overclock, you're going to see that number go higher. HWMonitor is a good way to see how much power your CPU is drawing. I think a 300W PSU, especially a decent one like an FSP, should be able to handle an overclocked Q9400 and a 1050 Ti. The 1050 Ti is capped at 75W, and the 240 you have should only be drawing something like 60W under full load. Upgrade the PSU to 450W+ when you can, but don't buy a crappy PSU because it says "500W" on the label. Lots of 500W PSUs would be lucky to hit 250W before the internals release magic smoke and the whole thing goes bye-bye. You should be ok for now with what you have.

Thanks man thats all the info I need, I know this might  be a bit off topic but I really wanted to know

if my mobo can support this type of RAM:

PC2:5300P 

Currently my mobo (which is the: MS-7358) support 240 PIN, up to 800MHz and up to 8GB of RAM in total, 1.8V max.

Currently it has 4 GB (1GB in each slot) of ddr2 667MHz of ram

2 of the 1GB are PC2-6400

and the other 2 1GB are: PC2-5300

Im a budget gamer, like really budget. I wanna upgrade the RAM but this PC2-5300P and the PC-6400U is a lot cheaper than the PC2-5300.

So is there a difference, will my mobo support? Is there a speed difference in the two that might affect game play?

6 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

It's the same crap, just mobile version

Ok, I can't account for your experience, but in mine, 32-bit is no faster than 64-bit unless you're trying to run a 64-bit OS on a system that barely meets the minimums for 32-bit. Unless you're CPU-locked into 32-bit, all you're doing is putting yourself on an architecture that's just this side of unsupported, isn't patched or maintained as well as 64-bit systems, and places major limitations on the rest of the system. The internet seems to agree with me that there's no noticeable difference in performance between the two. Your better performance on 32-bit is probably because you had programs and features installed in 64-bit that don't work with 32-bit, so they aren't running in the background. Speaking of unsupported, NVIDIA doesn't support 32-bit Pascal, so that 1050 Ti would be another really, really expensive waste of time and money.

Please don't give bad advice, and in 2019, telling someone to go from 64-bit architecture to 32-bit is terrible advice, even if we don't factor in that they're about to upgrade to 4GB of RAM. You're telling the OP to go with an architecture that's totally useless for what they're trying to do. If you want to live on 32-bit for the rest of time, that's on you, but don't encourage others to do the same. It's a terrible, terrible piece of advice to give.

2 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Thanks man thats all the info I need, I know this might  be a bit off topic but I really wanted to know

if my mobo can support this type of RAM:

PC2:5300P 

Currently my mobo (which is the: MS-7358) support 240 PIN, up to 800MHz and up to 8GB of RAM in total, 1.8V max.

Currently it has 4 GB (1GB in each slot) of ddr2 667MHz of ram

2 of the 1GB are PC2-6400

and the other 2 1GB are: PC2-5300

Im a budget gamer, like really budget. I wanna upgrade the RAM but this PC2-5300P and the PC-6400U is a lot cheaper than the PC2-5300.

So is there a difference, will my mobo support? Is there a speed difference in the two that might affect game play?

The PC2-6400 would be faster. It runs at 800MHz. The PC2-5300 runs at 667MHz. The PC2-5300P is ECC server RAM, and almost certainly incompatible with your motherboard. Don't buy that one.

This is silly expecting miracles on a 12yo CPU, even overclocking.  It's outrageous to spend any money upgrading for this PC.  It's a total waste of time, sorry to say.

Use the PC as a file server is what Id suggest

22 hours ago, Dijon said:

So Im on a budget till I get my hands on some cash in a few months im stuck with a ASUS Nvidia Geforce GT 240 DDR3 GPU. I was checking GPU overclocking and I thought hey why not? But Im clueless on these things so I need help, please. I have a 300 WATT powersupply, I want to know to how much O/C I should put my GT 240 on and not destroy my PSU. Also if someone could guide me through it, I would be very pleased, as I have no clue how to do that too. Any help much appreciated. ❤️

My current specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz (will upgrade)

4GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM, 2.75 GB usable, according to Windows (Will upgrade soon)

PSU 300 WATT (Look below for picture of PSU) (will upgrade this too but will need time to do so)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

500GB HDD

250GB HDD

MS-7358 Motherboard

ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT 240 DDR3 (will upgrade to either GT 1030 or GTX 750 Ti, but again in a few months)

PIC of PSU:

20190218_130311.jpg

I don't think it will give major performance change even after overclock as your GPU is not so powerful or potato GPU. Don't waste your time on overclocking it, just enjoy games which can be run by your GPU

Well ty all for the info much appreciated, I got all the info I needed, ❤️

11 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The PC2-6400 would be faster. It runs at 800MHz. The PC2-5300 runs at 667MHz. The PC2-5300P is ECC server RAM, and almost certainly incompatible with your motherboard. Don't buy that one.

What about the PC-6400? Does the "2" account for anything, in the description it still said it was DDR2.

And what about the PC-6300U? Is it the same as the PC-6400P, incompatible?

Thanks for the previous help though.

9 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

This is silly expecting miracles on a 12yo CPU, even overclocking.  It's outrageous to spend any money upgrading for this PC.  It's a total waste of time, sorry to say.

Use the PC as a file server is what Id suggest

Ik bro but Im on a budget and I seriosly cant get much more money. But Im not expecting much, if I can get at leats 30FPS, 720p on medium settings on games like GTA V and Fortnite, Im happy.

I'm not sure about Fortnite but heard the graphics are lax in design for better performance on older systems.  GTA 5 can require some performance but  you'd have to really lower stuff down.

My brain can't process 30 fps in 720p, It's like one of the rare occasions I'd suggest just getting a Playstation 4.   Heck, even an original PS3 with hardware emulation. You could load Linux or something and would run faster than your setup.  

Just now, THraShArD said:

I'm not sure about Fortnite but heard the graphics are lax in design for better performance on older systems.  GTA 5 can require some performance but  you'd have to really lower stuff down.

My brain can't process 30 fps in 720p, It's like one of the rare occasions I'd suggest just getting a Playstation 4.   Heck, even an original PS3 with hardware emulation. You could load Linux or something and would run faster than your setup.  

True but PS4 I have checked and its over £160, plus remeber you need PS GOLD to play online...

1 hour ago, Dijon said:

What about the PC-6400? Does the "2" account for anything, in the description it still said it was DDR2.

And what about the PC-6300U? Is it the same as the PC-6400P, incompatible?

Thanks for the previous help though.

The 2 means that it's DDR2. First-gen DDR would be (for example) PC, DDR3 is PC3, etc. I'm guessing that "PC-6400" is a listing error by the person selling it, because there is no first-gen DDR I'm aware of that runs at 800MHz.

RAM that ends in a U is unbuffered and should work on just about any board that uses that generation of RAM. P or R RAM is ECC, and only works on boards specifically designed to work with it.  There's also RAM that ends in an F, and I'm pretty sure that's also ECC. Generally speaking, if your board doesn't specify ECC support, assume it doesn't have ECC support. Some DDR2 boards are really picky about RAM, and won't even POST if you don't have a matched set. That's more common on prebuilts like Dell, HP, etc. than on aftermarket boards, and your board already works with different types of RAM, so you should be good there.

A Q9400 with a GTX 1050 Ti wil be much more than capable of 30FPS 720p in those games. I'd say 1080p is definitely on the table for Fortnite, and probably for GTA 5 as well. With your current GT 240, 30FPS at 720p, probably with low settings, is a realistic target once the Q9400 is in place.

54 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The 2 means that it's DDR2. First-gen DDR would be (for example) PC, DDR3 is PC3, etc. I'm guessing that "PC-6400" is a listing error by the person selling it, because there is no first-gen DDR I'm aware of that runs at 800MHz.

RAM that ends in a U is unbuffered and should work on just about any board that uses that generation of RAM. P or R RAM is ECC, and only works on boards specifically designed to work with it.  There's also RAM that ends in an F, and I'm pretty sure that's also ECC. Generally speaking, if your board doesn't specify ECC support, assume it doesn't have ECC support. Some DDR2 boards are really picky about RAM, and won't even POST if you don't have a matched set. That's more common on prebuilts like Dell, HP, etc. than on aftermarket boards, and your board already works with different types of RAM, so you should be good there.

A Q9400 with a GTX 1050 Ti wil be much more than capable of 30FPS 720p in those games. I'd say 1080p is definitely on the table for Fortnite, and probably for GTA 5 as well. With your current GT 240, 30FPS at 720p, probably with low settings, is a realistic target once the Q9400 is in place.

Man thanks so much for your help, I really do appreciate it, you have basically answered all my questions, thanks so much man, ❤️

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Also the business I found the ad was on CEX. They are a HUGE company selling parts for PC so why would they make a mistake? Here is the link to prove it>> https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smem8bxd&categoryName=memory-desktop-ddr2&superCatName=computing&title=2-gb-pc6400-ddr2-800mhz-240-pin-memory

22 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Also the business I found the ad was on CEX. They are a HUGE company selling parts for PC so why would they make a mistake? Here is the link to prove it>> https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smem8bxd&categoryName=memory-desktop-ddr2&superCatName=computing&title=2-gb-pc6400-ddr2-800mhz-240-pin-memory

Ah, CeX. The company that once:

• Sold me a 2GB DDR2 DIMM and sent a 4GB DDR2 DIMM instead...bank error in my favor!
  • Sent me an HD 7970 and forgot that one of the cooling fans was missing some blades.
  • Sold me a 750 Ti and sent me a 750.
  • Sold me a 750 and sent me a 750 Ti.
  • I'm serious about those last two.
  • Sold me a 500GB 2.5" laptop hard drive that was actually an SSD.
  • Sold me 16GB worth of DDR3 as multiple items on the same purchase, shipped it all tossed into the same anti-static bag, put it in a thin bubble mailer and sent it off. By the time it got to me, about half of it hadn't be physically damaged, and about half of what was left worked.
  • Sold me 4GB of DDR2-1066, which was actually DDR3-1066.

So, yes, they are definitely capable of making a mistake. Don't get me wrong, when they were operating in and shipping to the US, I hit them up constantly for dirt cheap RAM and GPUs. When I was in Scotland over the summer, I made a point of visiting a CeX in Edinburgh purely so I could come home with a G3258 and a 4GB stick of DDR4 from a CeX store. Probably sunk well over a thousand bucks into their US operations, but they are 100% capable of mislabeling something.

Also, right after saying PC-6400, it says "DDR2". Also also, if the ads they have there are true and they really have 4GB and 8GB DDR2 DIMMs available, buy all the shit. As long as they're not ECC, 4GB and 8GB DDR2 DIMMs are worth their weight in gold right now because comparatively few are left in existence.

10 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Ah, CeX. The company that once:

• Sold me a 2GB DDR2 DIMM and sent a 4GB DDR2 DIMM instead...bank error in my favor!
  • Sent me an HD 7970 and forgot that one of the cooling fans was missing some blades.
  • Sold me a 750 Ti and sent me a 750.
  • Sold me a 750 and sent me a 750 Ti.
  • I'm serious about those last two.
  • Sold me a 500GB 2.5" laptop hard drive that was actually an SSD.
  • Sold me 16GB worth of DDR3 as multiple items on the same purchase, shipped it all tossed into the same anti-static bag, put it in a thin bubble mailer and sent it off. By the time it got to me, about half of it hadn't be physically damaged, and about half of what was left worked.
  • Sold me 4GB of DDR2-1066, which was actually DDR3-1066.

So, yes, they are definitely capable of making a mistake. Don't get me wrong, when they were operating in and shipping to the US, I hit them up constantly for dirt cheap RAM and GPUs. When I was in Scotland over the summer, I made a point of visiting a CeX in Edinburgh purely so I could come home with a G3258 and a 4GB stick of DDR4 from a CeX store. Probably sunk well over a thousand bucks into their US operations, but they are 100% capable of mislabeling something.

Also, right after saying PC-6400, it says "DDR2". Also also, if the ads they have there are true and they really have 4GB and 8GB DDR2 DIMMs available, buy all the shit. As long as they're not ECC, 4GB and 8GB DDR2 DIMMs are worth their weight in gold right now because comparatively few are left in existence.

xDxD sounds like CEX but I dont think they would make a mistake for me as I will go to them directly, not get delivered, but thanks alot for the info, much appreciated, ❤️

4 hours ago, Dijon said:

xDxD sounds like CEX but I dont think they would make a mistake for me as I will go to them directly, not get delivered, but thanks alot for the info, much appreciated, ❤️

If you're going in store and can inspect what you're buying before paying, you're golden just about anywhere.

37 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If you're going in store and can inspect what you're buying before paying, you're golden just about anywhere.

Hi got the 8GB (4x2gb RAM) (yeah on the casing it did say PC2-6400) at home I installed all of the RAM succesfullly, went in contral panel ...a problem, says 8GB installed but, 2.75 usable still?

I check in task manager and yup, 2.75 GB is max it will go, does not make sense because it even says its an 64bit operating system? Please help this is really important.

24 minutes ago, Dijon said:

Hi got the 8GB (4x2gb RAM) (yeah on the casing it did say PC2-6400) at home I installed all of the RAM succesfullly, went in contral panel ...a problem, says 8GB installed but, 2.75 usable still?

I check in task manager and yup, 2.75 GB is max it will go, does not make sense because it even says its an 64bit operating system? Please help this is really important.

There's an obscure setting in the Northbridge of some older motherboards that can affect how much RAM the system reads. Can you take a picture of all of your RAM, label side facing the camera, so I can see if there are any known compatibility issues? Also, can you take a screenshot of Task Manager showing RAM usage and available RAM, then double-check in your System tab to be certain that it shows a 64-bit OS?

21 hours ago, Dijon said:

Ik bro but Im on a budget and I seriosly cant get much more money. But Im not expecting much, if I can get at leats 30FPS, 720p on medium settings on games like GTA V and Fortnite, Im happy.

Whats ur budget, around 200$? 

If thats so, it can be managed to go i5 second gen and at least 4gb of ddr3.  I would advise that for you, actually ask you to do that first :)

15 minutes ago, filippalfi said:

Whats ur budget, around 200$? 

If thats so, it can be managed to go i5 second gen and at least 4gb of ddr3.  I would advise that for you, actually ask you to do that first :)

my budget is around, $150 till max $180

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

There's an obscure setting in the Northbridge of some older motherboards that can affect how much RAM the system reads. Can you take a picture of all of your RAM, label side facing the camera, so I can see if there are any known compatibility issues? Also, can you take a screenshot of Task Manager showing RAM usage and available RAM, then double-check in your System tab to be certain that it shows a 64-bit OS?

Sure here it is, I got all the RAM exactly the same model and brand BTW:

Doc1.docx