Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DAWWolfX

Graphics Card Recommendation

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am almost done with my system. I only need two things to start using my new computer, a graphics card, and Windows 10 (yay!). I will have about $500 to spend. I will have about $300 to spend since I am buying a key from Microsoft. For that price, what should I choose? If I can get one, should I get a Vega 56, or a GTX 1070? If not that, should I buy the RX 580/590 or a GTX 1060? I could wait to see what Navi has to offer but I would like to finish my system soon. I hope I can find a good deal on a new card or maybe even a used card. although I would prefer new. Anyways, open to suggestions. I will list my system specs if that helps:

Ryzen 5 2600, 12GB Mixed RAM, 750 Watt Power Supply, 1 TB Hard Drive, 128 GB SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AlphaXWolf1M said:

I am almost done with my system. I only need two things to start using my new computer, a graphics card, and Windows 10 (yay!). I will have about $500 to spend. I will have about $300 to spend since I am buying a key from Microsoft. For that price, what should I choose? If I can get one, should I get a Vega 56, or a GTX 1070? If not that, should I buy the RX 580/590 or a GTX 1060? I could wait to see what Navi has to offer but I would like to finish my system soon. I hope I can find a good deal on a new card or maybe even a used card. although I would prefer new. Anyways, open to suggestions. I will list my system specs if that helps:

Ryzen 5 2600, 12GB Mixed RAM, 750 Watt Power Supply, 1 TB Hard Drive, 128 GB SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower. 

 

Grab a 580 for 150 bucks.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4505 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1911 @ 9CL & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus m.2 Card

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 4.50BT SE / Logitech G910 & G700s & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Intake / NF-P12 Exhaust

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Grab a 580 for 150 bucks.

Why would he do that when that's only half of what he has to spend?


Please, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not a professional, just a moderately knowledgeable nerd. 

 

"They misunderestimated me."

-George W. Bush

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What monitor are you using?

 

Also, save some money and get windows off ebay for a few dollars 

Right now a really old cheap TV from 2008 that's probably 720p. I know, yikes. But I may be using a newer 32 inch TV or I may just buy a 1440p Monitor, but I don't know yet... 

I also feel more comfortable buying a new key from Microsoft, but I may look into it on eBay... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For that price range on a GPU go with whichever you find for cheaper between the Vega 56 and the 1070. If you can't find either of those in your price range get a 580 instead of a 1060.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Grab a 580 for 150 bucks.

I may do that since and then buy a better display or use it as a reserve if I need money for something else, so not a bad idea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get Windows 10 product keys cheap off ebay and other sites, OR you can run it totally free (just means you have an "activate Windows" watermark and can't use personalization options. Which you can still personalize Windows by using other methods anyways). 

 

I'd take your entire budget and spend it on a GPU. I would get a 2060, otherwise get a 1070 since those are fairly comparable to a 2060.


Primary PC: Lazarus https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pf6fBb (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: *name pending*https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bz62P3 (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Radeon HD 6350 (Windows 10 Pro)
Oher PCs:          

*name pending* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 260 + EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nknj6s (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Radeon HD 5350 (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 (Windows XP)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

In progress project PCs:

*name pending* - Pentium G4400, 8GB DDR3, Asus H110

*name pending* - AMD A4-6300, 8GB DDR3

*name and purpose pending* - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

*name and purpose pending* - Asus Strix 1070

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Why would he do that when that's only half of what he has to spend?

 

8 minutes ago, AlphaXWolf1M said:

Right now a really old cheap TV from 2008 that's probably 720p. I know, yikes. But I may be using a newer 32 inch TV or I may just buy a 1440p Monitor, but I don't know yet... 

I also feel more comfortable buying a new key from Microsoft, but I may look into it on eBay... 

Thats why


𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂𝓪

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slottr said:

 

Thats why

$10 on Windows key.  Hell, I'll sell you one for $20 :)

 

$150 max for a monitor, $350 for GPU. 2060 6GB and a decentish monitor.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

 

Thats why

Well, if he's planning to get a new monitor, it'd make sense to make the upgrade preemptively. 


Please, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not a professional, just a moderately knowledgeable nerd. 

 

"They misunderestimated me."

-George W. Bush

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I know the appeal of using cheap windows keys but I came to the conclusion that it's something I am not very comfortable trying seeing the risks. I could use the Windows Installer and just use it for free for a while or indefinitely. That would be an option for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AlphaXWolf1M said:

Right now a really old cheap TV from 2008 that's probably 720p. I know, yikes. But I may be using a newer 32 inch TV or I may just buy a 1440p Monitor, but I don't know yet... 

I also feel more comfortable buying a new key from Microsoft, but I may look into it on eBay... 

The sellers on eBay will usually give you a new key if one is bad. I've bought 3 Win10 Pro Keys for $7 or so each, only had one go bad but I couldn't be arsed to ask for a replacement since I didn't really need it right then, so $21 for two Win10 Pro keys that would be $400 retail is a pretty damn good savings. You'd have to get a lot of bogus keys before you came close to the price of windows 10 retail. Pretty scummy of MS to try and run Windows 10 as a service and collect your data but then still charge $120-200 for keys for consumers. 


 If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

 

X99 rig:

Spoiler

CPU: 5820K at 4.5-4.6Ghz, working on getting my OC 100% stable
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: EVGA Classified X99
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4
Storage: 120GB HyperX Savage SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDDs
GPU: Radeon VII
Case: Corsair Air 540, Black
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

CPU: X5670 at 4.56GHz/1.5v for now, planning to push higher on that voltage

CPU Cooler: Heatkiller IV CPU block and custom loop with 360mm slim rad
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Storage: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD, HyperX Savage 120GB SSD
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
Random Celeron, 8700K died so I gotta get my hands on an i5 8400

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

The sellers on eBay will usually give you a new key if one is bad. I've bought 3 Win10 Pro Keys for $7 or so each, only had one go bad but I couldn't be arsed to ask for a replacement since I didn't really need it right then, so $21 for two Win10 Pro keys that would be $400 retail is a pretty damn good savings. You'd have to get a lot of bogus keys before you came close to the price of windows 10 retail. Pretty scummy of MS to try and run Windows 10 as a service and collect your data but then still charge $120-200 for keys for consumers. 

Yeah, I wish Windows 10 was like Android, free and open source... but nope... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, AlphaXWolf1M said:

I know the appeal of using cheap windows keys but I came to the conclusion that it's something I am not very comfortable trying seeing the risks. I could use the Windows Installer and just use it for free for a while or indefinitely. That would be an option for me. 

I am afraid of grabbing a key that was bought with a stolen credit card... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlphaXWolf1M said:

I am afraid of grabbing a key that was bought with a stolen credit card... 

Just use it free for a while and purchase a key off the Windows Store later on when you have more money saved up, or find a way to hide the watermark for good and bypass the whole system.


Primary PC: Lazarus https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pf6fBb (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: *name pending*https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bz62P3 (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Radeon HD 6350 (Windows 10 Pro)
Oher PCs:          

*name pending* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 260 + EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nknj6s (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Radeon HD 5350 (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 (Windows XP)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

In progress project PCs:

*name pending* - Pentium G4400, 8GB DDR3, Asus H110

*name pending* - AMD A4-6300, 8GB DDR3

*name and purpose pending* - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

*name and purpose pending* - Asus Strix 1070

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AlphaXWolf1M said:

I am afraid of grabbing a key that was bought with a stolen credit card... 

What happens if you do?  


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Eastman51 said:

Just use it free for a while and purchase a key off the Windows Store later on when you have more money saved up, or find a way to hide the watermark for good and bypass the whole system.

That is something I would be willing to do. What is good for about $500 since taxes are an issue. Let's say $450ish? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AlphaXWolf1M said:

That is something I would be willing to do. What is good for about $500 since taxes are an issue. Let's say $450ish? 

For a GPU? I'd look at 2060's, those should only be around $350-389.

edit: Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Gaming-Graphics-06G-P4-2061-KR/dp/B07MJDBTD6/


Primary PC: Lazarus https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pf6fBb (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: *name pending*https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bz62P3 (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Radeon HD 6350 (Windows 10 Pro)
Oher PCs:          

*name pending* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 260 + EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nknj6s (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Radeon HD 5350 (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 (Windows XP)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

In progress project PCs:

*name pending* - Pentium G4400, 8GB DDR3, Asus H110

*name pending* - AMD A4-6300, 8GB DDR3

*name and purpose pending* - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

*name and purpose pending* - Asus Strix 1070

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, jstudrawa said:

What happens if you do?  

I am pretty sure you're key can get revoked and also accepting stolen goods (knowledgable or not) is likely considered illegal if they find out who you are. I don't want to run that risk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlphaXWolf1M said:

I am afraid of grabbing a key that was bought with a stolen credit card... 

They're usually OEM keys, I assume they buy them in bulk then resell them or whatever. I haven't had any issues with mine on my main rig or laptop or whatever PC I happen to sign into, it's linked to my MS account and activates exactly like Windows is supposed to, it's rather nice. 


 If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

 

X99 rig:

Spoiler

CPU: 5820K at 4.5-4.6Ghz, working on getting my OC 100% stable
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
Motherboard: EVGA Classified X99
Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator 3200MHz DDR4
Storage: 120GB HyperX Savage SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDDs
GPU: Radeon VII
Case: Corsair Air 540, Black
PSU: EVGA 1000W G3

X58 rig: 

Spoiler

CPU: X5670 at 4.56GHz/1.5v for now, planning to push higher on that voltage

CPU Cooler: Heatkiller IV CPU block and custom loop with 360mm slim rad
Motherboard: EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI X58 motherboard
Memory: 24GB HyperX Savage DDR3 (Red). Running ~1600MHz 10-10-10-28 for now, it'll to 9-9-9-24 but I'm planning to push to 2000MHz, thus the looser timings. 

Storage: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD, HyperX Savage 120GB SSD
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti 11G 
Case: Mountain Mods mobo tray, PSU mount off etsy, some rad mounting hardware and a board of plywood and such from Lowes. 
PSU: Corsair RM1000i

Laptop:

Spoiler

Clevo P750TM1-G
Random Celeron, 8700K died so I gotta get my hands on an i5 8400

16GB 2400MHz DDR4

GTX 1070

250GB 960 Evo, 2TB Seagate Firecuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda Pro

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlphaXWolf1M said:

I am pretty sure you're key can get revoked and also accepting stolen goods (knowledgable or not) is likely considered illegal if they find out who you are. I don't want to run that risk. 

Key can get revoked, sure.  Accepting stolen goods?  Uhm.... nm.  Buy your Windows key and keep your peace of mind.  :)


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Link to post
Share on other sites

i suggest you to save 60$ and buy cheap RTX 2060. Best in this price range probably is Radeon 590 but cheaper 580 is much better pick because it have very good performance per dolar ratio.

 

And 7$ Windows keys are not legal... do you guys love paying for pirates?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

For a GPU? I'd look at 2060's, those should only be around $350-389.

edit: Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Gaming-Graphics-06G-P4-2061-KR/dp/B07MJDBTD6/

2

Yeah, 2060 looks like a good option. Thank you! 

I am keeping my options open so I may go ahead and buy a lower end card and Windows but I may just use Windows free for a while and buy the key later. I am considering options I haven't thought of before so this is good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Bogo Mogo said:

i suggest you to save 60$ and buy cheap RTX 2060. Best in this price range probably is Radeon 590 but cheaper 580 is much better pick because it have very good performance per dolar ratio.

 

And 7$ Windows keys are not legal... do you guys love paying for pirates?

I could go to about $330 on graphics and $140 on Windows Home if I do $500, plus maybe a bit extra in change. This is considering taxes which is 6.25%

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×