Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sinisterweed

m.2 to usb adapter that works with m slotted and B+m slotted

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a m slotted m.2 installed in my pc.  I'm buying a larger m.2 to replace it however the new one is slotted M+B.  I'm pretty sure the new one will work on my MB but I can't find a USB adapter that will work for both.  Anyone know of a USB to M.2 that will work with M slotted and a M+B slotted m.2 drive?

11 minutes ago, Sinisterweed said:

I have a m slotted m.2 installed in my pc.  I'm buying a larger m.2 to replace it however the new one is slotted M+B.  I'm pretty sure the new one will work on my MB but I can't find a USB adapter that will work for both.  Anyone know of a USB to M.2 that will work with M slotted and a M+B slotted m.2 drive?

SATA or PCIE M.2? They use different controllers and the USB adapters are different. 

If I don't respond, please tag me in your post. I'm probably AFK or responding to someone else. 

I know what sarcasm is... Sometimes.
Stille (Primary desktop)

i7-8700k @5.0Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Macbook Pro 2015 (Musicians live and die by these, unfortunately I need one. :/
i7-4980HQ (Liquid Metal mod) - 16GB DDR3 - Radeon M370X (Liquid Metal mod) 

El-BEEFO (FreeNAS server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 32GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware for JBOD) - Kingston 128GB SSD (Scratch/cache) - 5.5TB of mixed HDDs

Corsair CX series Power Supplies are fine

There are no USB M.2 enclosures that support both. Your motherboard has the option to support both because of the extra space and proximity to all the wiring it would need to use either a SATA or NVMe drive. A USB enclosure needs different circuitry to support an NVMe drive than it does to support a SATA drive. You will need to choose between an NVMe enclosure or a SATA enclosure if you need a USB M.2 drive.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10