Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaocoonsBane

First Build

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for any help I can get here. I would say I'm somewhere in between novice and intermediate when it comes to pc's but this is the first time I'm putting one together myself 100%. I did try and do some research before hand though. This will be used predominately for gaming, but I would like to be able to work on large Photoshop files, Blender and maybe some video editing down the line. I want to overclock my cpu to 5ghz, I want to overclock the ram to at least 3200ghz. I would like some RGB or at least the option to upgrade to it down the line. Is this build coherent? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, LaocoonsBane said:

Thanks for any help I can get here. I would say I'm somewhere in between novice and intermediate when it comes to pc's but this is the first time I'm putting one together myself 100%. I did try and do some research before hand though. This will be used predominately for gaming, but I would like to be able to work on large Photoshop files, Blender and maybe some video editing down the line. I want to overclock my cpu to 5ghz, I want to overclock the ram to at least 3200ghz. I would like some RGB or at least the option to upgrade to it down the line. Is this build coherent? Thanks.

one suggestion i can make is going with a z370 instead of a z390 board while also ditching the 2 1tb hdds and instead going with sth like a 4 tb hdd

Hi, I don't know what your budget is, but I'll try to help you.

First, you need a z370 motherboard, not a z390. Second, I'd take at least 240/256gb on the SSD if I were you. Instead of 2x HDD of 1TB you could buy 1x SSHD of 2TB since your primary goal is gaming, you wan't your games to load fast.

And yes, I have the same RAM as you and I successfully overclocked it to 3400mhz, but I keep it at 3300mhz for stability reasons.

Buying a GPU right now sucks because value is really low. I'd go for a 2nd hand 1070/80(ti) tbh.

Check my RGB guide if you want to bling your system down the road.

Good luck!

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Hi, I don't know what your budget is, but I'll try to help you.

First, you need a z370 motherboard, not a z390. Second, I'd take at least 240/256gb on the SSD if I were you. Instead of 2x HDD of 1TB you could buy 1x SSHD of 2TB since your primary goal is gaming, you wan't your games to load fast.

And yes, I have the same RAM as you and I successfully overclocked it to 3400mhz, but I keep it at 3300mhz for stability reasons.

Buying a GPU right now sucks because value is really low. I'd go for a 2nd hand 1070/80(ti) tbh.

Check my RGB guide if you want to bling your system down the road.

Good luck!

I was under the impression that the z390 boards were backwards compatible with the z370s. However, I only chose this board because of price and reviews. The z370 boards that were recommended are for some reason more expensive or around equal price but with less features. What board would you recommend for easy overclocking and good features.

7 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

First, you need a z370 motherboard, not a z390.

OP can use a Z390 motherboard, just needs to make sure bios is up to date, there are no issues there.

Noctua NF or Corsair ML? ‖ PSU Tier List

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds

Blueberry Pi : R7 1700 OC@3.9GHz ‖ Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz ‖ EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB ‖ EVGA 850W P2 ‖ Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue) ‖ Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Server + Streaming PC : i7-8700k OC@5.0GHz (Delid) ‖ Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB (Black) ‖ EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB ‖ EVGA 750W P2 ‖ Corsair H100i Pro ‖ 4x IronWolf 8TB 7200RPM (Raid 10) ‖ Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower

New Build In Progress: R7 1700 ‖ Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Gaming ITX ‖ G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz (Grey) ‖ Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB ‖ Corsair SF 450W ‖ Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB ‖ Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

Big White : i7-6700k OC@4.8GHz ‖ Asus Z270I ROG Gaming Wi-Fi AC ITX  ‖ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White) ‖ Asus GTX 1060 Dual Series OC 6GB ‖ Corsair RM650i ‖ Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 (White) ‖ Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition Mini ITX Cube

Mini IPC : Pentium G4600T ‖ MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX ‖ Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2400MHz (Black) ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ Built-In 150W Inwin PSU ‖ Cryorig C7 ‖ Inwin BQ696 Mini ITX Case W/ PSU Black

Laptop: Dell XPS13 (2017) ‖ i7-7550U ‖ 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ 512GB m.2 SSD ‖ QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Just now, LaocoonsBane said:

I was under the impression that the z390 boards were backwards compatible with the z370s. However, I only chose this board because of price and reviews. The z370 boards that were recommended are for some reason more expensive or around equal price but with less features. What board would you recommend for easy overclocking and good features.

Z390 motherboards are compatible with 8gen CPU's, there are no issues with your selection.

Noctua NF or Corsair ML? ‖ PSU Tier List

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds

Blueberry Pi : R7 1700 OC@3.9GHz ‖ Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz ‖ EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB ‖ EVGA 850W P2 ‖ Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue) ‖ Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Server + Streaming PC : i7-8700k OC@5.0GHz (Delid) ‖ Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB (Black) ‖ EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB ‖ EVGA 750W P2 ‖ Corsair H100i Pro ‖ 4x IronWolf 8TB 7200RPM (Raid 10) ‖ Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower

New Build In Progress: R7 1700 ‖ Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Gaming ITX ‖ G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz (Grey) ‖ Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB ‖ Corsair SF 450W ‖ Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB ‖ Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

Big White : i7-6700k OC@4.8GHz ‖ Asus Z270I ROG Gaming Wi-Fi AC ITX  ‖ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White) ‖ Asus GTX 1060 Dual Series OC 6GB ‖ Corsair RM650i ‖ Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 (White) ‖ Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition Mini ITX Cube

Mini IPC : Pentium G4600T ‖ MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX ‖ Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2400MHz (Black) ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ Built-In 150W Inwin PSU ‖ Cryorig C7 ‖ Inwin BQ696 Mini ITX Case W/ PSU Black

Laptop: Dell XPS13 (2017) ‖ i7-7550U ‖ 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ 512GB m.2 SSD ‖ QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

It depends on what games you play and on what resolution, but you could have better performance with Ryzen 2600 oc'd and a rtx 2080. Will cost about 40$ more(total 1430$ with mail-in rebates).

9600K should be a lot faster in Photoshop but anything gpu rendered should favor 2080.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

-= Moved to New Builds and Planning =-

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER