REDUNDANT SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION

Lanez
1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

Wish I had that fucking luck

I mean earning probably 20k+ /mo and not knowing anything about the job? where do I apply?

Trust me, you would not like that. Beside the ever present fear you would get caught out, It would eventually come back and bite you where you sit.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

7 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It was worded a bit harshly but it is true. Sadly, too often, I have seen the same scenario where IT Departments hired people (including in management) who didn't know squat about their job. t's one reason, now that I'm retired, I do not miss working for Corporate America (the other being it felt like I was working in a Dilbert cartoon).

In hindsight that was worded fairly harshly, but still I think that people who are hired for this should not be asking for full instructions on how to implement a system. I think if you're out of your depth and need to ask for help on specific questions, that's more acceptable. 

I'll use my own dumb question as an example: 

Was helping a friend out installing some Ubiquiti hardware for a church. He wanted to block outbound email on the guest network, so I went to work setting it up in the firewall settings. Thought I had it configured properly, but I had it in the "GUEST_OUT" Rule set, which doesn't apply to traffic heading from LAN to WAN, so I had to move the rule to WAN out, and set it as data from Guest group to Email Port group is blocked. 

Dumb mistake, but I posted on the ubiquiti forums asking for help on it cause I was lost as it was my first network with Ubiquiti hardware. 

I digress. 

I'm all for helping people, but I wanted to make it clear that I don't think this should become normal. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

21 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

In hindsight that was worded fairly harshly, but still I think that people who are hired for this should not be asking for full instructions on how to implement a system...

Uh, I was totally agreeing with you (and still do). I just thought you could have said it a bit more gently.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Is this what you were hired to do or is it something that you want to do? Because if it's the later I can't imagine the company will be happy that a new staff member is asking them to spend a massive amount of money, you might be overstepping your bounds. 

If it's the former then..... I mean, it's your job, they hired you for it, you should have already had a plan before you got to this point, you should also have other colleagues who you can talk to, this is not a task acomplishable by a single person 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒