How Many People Here Switched to Linux?

8 hours ago, Source Slayer said:

I switched to Ubuntu maybe about 7 years ago. Then I got a new computer in 2016, and was too lazy to install it again until I finally gave in four months later. So it really depends on when I start counting.

You make me envious. I can only dream of having that much experience and time in Linux.

but its good again!

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

Linux was already bad by 2003.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 4/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, Schwarzie said:

Your whole post smacks me with the undertone of "look how Linux is better" which it arguably isnt in all cases. 

Calm down there, buddy.

All I said was that in my personal experience (which I have made very clear, I should think) it was easier to get Linux system up and running out of the box than a Windows system. I didn't say anything about exotic peripherals. I meant connecting a screen, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. And if you read the rest of my post, you'll see that I talk about some devices where I've had issues with Linux (which they didn't have with Windows). So I don't know where you got that impression, but it's wrong. In fact, I'm typing this using my Windows 10 partition right now, because of compatibility things. I don't like Windows 10 for many reasons (this particular install freezes all the time, updates suck so hard, we've all heard it), but I still quite like 7, for example. I'm even okay with 8.1, once you install a proper start menu. 

As for the alleged hostility of the Linux community towards newcomers, I haven't personally experienced any of that - but I guess I'm also more tech savvy than the average user (to be fair, almost everyone on here is more savvy than the average user). So maybe it's there. I don't know. My experience is that other Linux users are quite willing to help others out when they have problems, though, but that may vary from one distro to another. I've heard such things about the Arch community, but I'm on Ubuntu, so I really wouldn't know about that.

1 minute ago, German_John said:

Calm down there, buddy. 

That wasnt ment as an attack

2 minutes ago, German_John said:

once you install a proper start menu

Youre running in open doors here. I even would say that the one from Windows 7 sucked due to the "Superbar"

3 minutes ago, German_John said:

As for the alleged hostility of the Linux community towards newcomers, I haven't personally experienced any of that

The Ubuntuforum actually is a huge step forwards, partially due to the alleged Beginnerfriendliness of this distribution which tends to draw in the people that stress any sanity the most. Now going as a Beginner coming from Windows to say the Debian guys will end worse.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:43 PM, Schwarzie said:

Well thats just you. You will have a hard time to argue that Windows has less driver support then Linux, especially with some extremely exotic garbadge. (for example say high to cheap GDI printers where even big brands arent unproblematic).

Your whole post smacks me with the undertone of "look how Linux is better" which it arguably isnt in all cases. Yes there are some things Linux does more comfortably (Repository and Updates without reboot), there are a lot of things were Linux allows for more customization. Which is main the reason i try Linux from time to time.
I have the fanatical believe that i use my computer the way I want and that an OS is merely a tool that enables my software to run. It has to be as invisible as possible and allow me the workflow im used to. And im fully aware that a lot of that is simply shaped by habbit over time. Im using Windows now for 25+ years (yes i survived Windows for Workgroups...) and therefore there are things where im utterly unwilling to spend any time to bend the OS to my will. For example my detachable quicklaunchbar in the left corner of the screen where i can start all applications with a single (yes that is VERY important!) click or a defined keyboardshortcut if i so desire. Since Windows Vista MS is increasingly hostile to this feature and from Windows 7 on it was outright kicked out. I found at least one Linux window Manager, XFCE, that has the same feature as Windows 95-Windows XP had Out of the box and easy to find (Both Connamon and KDE didnt. Or at least that well hidden that i didnt find it). And yes i tried a multitude of dockersoftware. They ALL(!) suck in various shades. Nothing comes close the the sheer simplicity of such a simple bar (i dont like eyecandy and currently use TrueLaunchBar under Windows. And im not happy to need 3rd party applications for something that i consider a basic OS functionality, especially since that Tool dioesnt come free) No fuss, no animation, just one click. The deletion of this feature was one of my main driving factors, besides curiosity, to switch over to Linux from time to time. BUT everytime you run into anything that doesnt work the way you want out of the box or doesnt work at all out of the box you quickly find yourself delving into the depths of the command console and the, to the eyes of someone who grew up with DOS and Windows, very unusual folder structure and then all ease of use evaporates. I would consider this together with the missing designguidelines for Usability of Software (no no i wont delve into the religious wars between users of Vim and EMACS) to be the two main issues for the lack of Linux success on the desktop. And Endusers usually dont care if an issue is the fault of the OS, the driver or the software, they just see that something doesnt work. In Windows more often then not even a Layer 8 problem can solved by the cause problem itself somehow. While all the time clicking around and having a direct visual feedback without the necessecity of knowing "arcane" console commands. With Linux? Said person is simply out of luck.
Linux still has quite some way to go before it reaches the ease of use Windows has towards casual users, and these are the vast majority. It also doesnt help that a big chunk of the Linux community is outright hostile towards beginners. Especially the non tech savvie beginner types.
So no, Linux isnt outright better. The things it does better usually wont make up for the things it does worse. But at the same time i have to admit that over the course of the last 15 years Linux made huge steps towards ease of use for casuals without giving up its strength. But i cant see great success for it without the console becoming truly optional.

That said, the most hillarious things with my issues were that actually out of all the stuff that didnt work out of the box 2 times it hit a networking device which usually is THE strongpoint of Linux. The (actually unfixable) behaviour around the screen closed sensor in the Thinkpad was something that at least didnt surprise me totally, even though it was highly annoying.
At least the fontrendering was apparently fixed. Due to this thread (and to much free time over the holidays) i put Linux Mint on a spare disk and i cant find a difference to Windows or MacOS anymore. *thumbs up* to whom it belongs.

Linux user for 2-3 years and the only reasons I have ever had to use the terminal when I didn't freak my system is installing certain things when I sshed in and to install .tar.gz (complicated zips) I have had linux compatibility problems with one aircard and I think there was a way it however did require heavy terminal use. In conclusion for me the only reason you use the terminal not because (now this is only with debian based OS and any with .deb installability) they didn't turn it into a .deb or (for all installs) use the .run format and at most use 2 terminal commands you can copy paste from the 3rd to top on google for .run. And the sensor proble is just kind of weird.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

53 minutes ago, will1432 said:

install .tar.gz (complicated zips)

The Linux Mint 19 im currently trying actually can actually open and run these with a semi-Gui so you dont even have to see the terminal for installing anything from them.

1 hour ago, Schwarzie said:

The Linux Mint 19 im currently trying actually can actually open and run these with a semi-Gui so you dont even have to see the terminal for installing anything from them.

where can I get this for ubuntu???

Just now, Mr. horse said:

They arn't bad

I've seen multiple systems brick to the point of not booting to GUI anymore. the fix all those times was boot to recovery mode and uninstall the Nvidia drivers. then it would work again. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Mr. horse said:

They arn't bad, They are however a pain to install.

The free open ones that come with most distros are junk.

They're good enough for a 400-series card, so that covers any school computer usage quite easily (also, I don't think Nvidia even supports those cards anymore).

3 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Sounds like your not installing them right. Like I said there a pain to install and if you don't do everything right X will not run after you install them.

I installed them through Ubuntu's driver manager. and I always install the one's labeled as tested. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Mr. horse said:

That is the problem. I never gotten the free or none free drivers form the Ubuntu repository to work right. And I'm not the only one.

Try getting the drives from nivida's website.

I don't have a linux machine with an Nvidia card anymore. I switched to an AMD card for my workstation a while ago because I didn't wanna deal with all the headaches anymore. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, will1432 said:

where can I get this for ubuntu??? 

I have no idea, worked for both veracrypt and truecrypt, i downloaded them, then were asked if i want to run them in the console and then some, rather oldish looking windows popped up with the licensestuff where i only had to click yes proceed or no. Very simple and no typing necessary.

Mint is based on Ubutunu, but thats as much as i can help you with this ;)

Switched to Solus for my main system on PC and laptop. I don't do much gaming and the games I do play works fine. I only do occassional video/image editing so that's not really a problem for me. AMD Pro drivers aren't available here so I can't use OpenCl but that's not really something I would need. I'm waiting for the Fedora developers to successfully package ROCM so I can try using Resolve comfortably. So, might switch to Fedora Budgie soon. Honestly, can't go back to Windows now. Just seeing the Windows taskbar and panel makes me sick in the stomach now.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had switched to Linux for a week and then switched back to Windows. Mainly because SVP performs much worse on Linux and watching anime with SVP is pretty much what I do everyday. Plus all Quick Chinese input methods on Linux have compromises when compare to Windows 7's Quick. Also I own the Social Club version of GTA V which couldn't run using Steam Play/Proton directly. I tried the Wine/DXVK version using Lutris and the FPS is quite a bit lower than Windows. I really was hoping to switch to Linux due to EOL of Windows 7, but the experience does hold me back.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:57 AM, firelighter487 said:

I don't have a linux machine with an Nvidia card anymore. I switched to an AMD card for my workstation a while ago because I didn't wanna deal with all the headaches anymore. 

The only Nvidia card I owned is the gtx 950m in my laptop. Driver always work without an issue. The thing about Linux hardware support is that if your card is ancient, software driver is likely going to be shit. If it is too new like an RTX cards, driver is also gonna be shit. It it is just about right like a gtx 900 series or 1000 series, problem are rarely there 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 3:50 AM, Fatih19 said:

Switched to Solus for my main system on PC and laptop. I don't do much gaming and the games I do play works fine. I only do occassional video/image editing so that's not really a problem for me. AMD Pro drivers aren't available here so I can't use OpenCl but that's not really something I would need. I'm waiting for the Fedora developers to successfully package ROCM so I can try using Resolve comfortably. So, might switch to Fedora Budgie soon. Honestly, can't go back to Windows now. Just seeing the Windows taskbar and panel makes me sick in the stomach now.

I am not sure how you would check if OpenCL capabilities are available, but I think that Mesa has its own OpenCL stack, like with OpenGL, and there is a package in the dev-libs category, dev-libs/ocl-icd (I am running Gentoo, so I am uncertain as to how the package may be called in Solus), whose short description states:

Alternative to vendor specific OpenCL ICD loaders

Take this with a grain of though, I guess, since LibreOffice still refuses to launch with OpenCL enabled.

Edited by elsandosgrande
Grammar, grammar, grammar