Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tesco value smurf

cheap dual 8 pin psu

Posted · Original PosterOP

hello, so im looking to get a psu for a dual xeon system im working on. the mobo has 2 8pin cpu connectors. i need a psu with 2 8 pin connectors but i also want one cheap (i dont want to pay more than 80$ but i will if needed). also im looking for something that wont break, about a week ago a psu i bought for 55$ had a capacitor explode or something and i dont want that happening again.

thanks in advance.

I actually ran into this problem myself a few months ago. I ended up canceling the build due to other reasons.

Not only do you need 2 8 pin connectors, but they have to be EPS connectors. Most PSU's with this feature are 850w and up, so they're not cheap. You'd be better off finding one used. 

Something like this would work, but like I said good luck finding a cheap one. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GS-1050-RX

Air Cooling Advocate

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Votivee said:

I actually ran into this problem myself a few months ago. I ended up canceling the build due to other reasons.

Not only do you need 2 8 pin connectors, but they have to be EPS connectors. Most PSU's with this feature are 850w and up, so they're not cheap. You'd be better off finding one used. 

Something like this would work, but like I said good luck finding a cheap one. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GS-1050-RX

well if i cant find one under 80$ ill just have to settle for this. doesnt look like it will explode anytime soon at least. also what does eps mean? and why is it required? just curious

4 minutes ago, tesco value smurf said:

also what does eps mean? and why is it required? just curious

Honestly, I'm not really sure what it means. Maybe one of the PSU fanatics on this forum can reply and help out. From what I gathered during my own research it has something to do with providing more power to the CPU. I'm not sure how it differs from what a regular 8-pin feeds to something like a GPU though.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/help-finding-power-supply-with-dual-8-pin-eps-connectors.8371/

Air Cooling Advocate

There is none for that pricepoint.

For a bit more, there might be something.

What you want to look for is a semi-modular (Or fully) modular PSU that uses the same Connectors for CPU and PCIe.

An example would be the Cougar GX-F, wich is one of the cheapest fully modular PSU.

Or Bitfenix Whisper M.

Then you need to somehow purchase an additional EPS12V Cable from a source. Often they are 1:1, but not always...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"