Should I Upgrade Soon?

So, currently my system is holding pretty strong, but I have been debating getting a CPU upgrade cause mine is kinda old. I am currently running a i7-3770k which I got for a pretty good deal about 3-4ish years ago. I was wondering if other's think I should upgrade it soon or just hold off, cause I am already planning on probably upgrading my ram as I only have 8 gb and if I upgrade, I would have to switch to ddr4 ram.

As a note, I am a college student so I don't have a huge bank account right now, so if I were to upgrade, it in itself would take a bit to save up the money.

If it's holding pretty strong and doing what you need it to....no

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I wouldn't bother right now. CPUs out there right now are better, but not orders of magnitude better than yours, and we *should* be getting Ryzen 3rd Generation this summer, which I'd like to know about the actual performance of before jumping forward. 

You're going to have to replace Motherboard/CPU/RAM together anyway, so you may as well make sure you're getting the best deal.

Does it not do what you need to do adequately? What's the rest of your specs and what do you do with your pc?

If you HAVE to upgrade, I suggest waiting for 3rd gen ryzen for a complete system overhaul.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Like what many members said above , the need of upgrade is always tired with the kind of work you need to be done.

I usually ask the following question:

1. Does the gear you own able to complete the work you need it to?

2. Does upgrading increase productivity (and profit)?

3. Do you have any other limiting factor in your workflow other than the computer?

4. If it is not for work, is there any other thing you could buy for more satisfaction than a faster computer?

I know how good it feels to own new toy, but sometimes there are just something else that provide long term benefits than the excitement of buying new thing. Things don't need replacement because they are old, because we can work (or play ) better in a noticeable way.

3 hours ago, TheCyberNerd said:

So, currently my system is holding pretty strong, but I have been debating getting a CPU upgrade cause mine is kinda old. I am currently running a i7-3770k which I got for a pretty good deal about 3-4ish years ago. I was wondering if other's think I should upgrade it soon or just hold off, cause I am already planning on probably upgrading my ram as I only have 8 gb and if I upgrade, I would have to switch to ddr4 ram.

As a note, I am a college student so I don't have a huge bank account right now, so if I were to upgrade, it in itself would take a bit to save up the money.

If you're starting to notice in game lag etc, I would look in to upgrading like I did. I went from an i7 3930k (that I built in 2011-2012) to the 9900K and the difference in some titles is absolutely ridiculous. As an example, in Skyhold in Dragon Age Inquisition, there are areas on my old setup I would get 45-55 fps regardless of settings. Now with the new system, I'm capped at 100Hz and getting 98-100fps in the same areas. And that's with the exact same video card. 

If you decide to upgrade and you want to build a system to last 3-4 years like I do, make sure you don't skimp on parts, save up as much as you have to. 

I would definitely at least wait til Ryzen 3 is released in July to start buying parts, as that will lower prices on older gen parts in the cpu market. 

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor