Wipe Any PC in 2 Minutes!

jakkuh_t

We investigate a USB key that claims to irreversibly destroy data.

Buy the RedKey USB:

On Indiegogo: https://lmg.gg/8KV92

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

My hammer can do the same in 2 seconds

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

My hammer can do the same in 2 seconds

With my clumsiness I just have to look at a drive and the data's gone

Check. Mate.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Thats all well and good, but what about secure erasing sensitive data and free space WITHOUT wiping the entire drive and/or OS ?

For HDD its easy, plenty of free utilities that work, but for SSD's ..not so much. Paid sure, but not free.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Linus,

NO, The MBR/GPT does NOT contain the File Tree Structure.

The MBR only holds Data about the Bootloader (if installed there) and the Partition Layout (Part. 0 starts at sect. 1, ends at sect. 1337 has a XFS/HFS/Ext4/ReiserFS/Whatever File System and Flags Alpha, Beta, Delta). GPT works similar.

Your actual directory tree is stored in the File system.

Second: Anything that can trigger an ATA Secure Erase will do the same as the manufacturer's tool (as long as Secure Erase is supported by the drive).

So, a Free tool for SSDs:

hdparm on Linux (USE WITH CAUTION!): https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

21 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

what about secure erasing sensitive data and free space WITHOUT wiping the entire drive and/or OS ?

Securely erasing data from a PC running Windows? Sysinternals to the rescue: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sdelete

I don't know about other platforms.

Edited by TheSebware
Added GPT statement

Please excuse my English, I'm a native German speaker.
Please note: I'm not sponsored or in any way affiliated with any mentioned company or product unless declared explicitly.

Would liked to have seen how different software compared, or even just deleting everything, refilling it with junk, and then deleting it all compared.

30 minutes ago, TheSebware said:

Second: Anything that can trigger an ATA Secure Erase will do the same as the manufacturer's tool (as long as Secure Erase is supported by the drive).

hdparm on Linux (USE WITH CAUTION!): https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

This.

SSDs should be erased with Secure Erase, not overwrites like with spinning rust (eg. CCleaner only does overwrites and refuses to overwrite an SSD).

This USB seems to be overwriting SSDs and not secure erasing them, making it no better than Darik's Boot and Nuke.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

I did enjoy the flashy interface, but like a previous poster says triggering ATA Secure Erase is all you need.

Another option that I use for work is simply rotating the whole disk encryption key and forcing a reboot.. this causes a self-inflicted ransomware scenario. Usually use it if the company is terminating an employee that works from home.

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

"but Linus, the video is 12 minutes, not 2 minutes"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, oskarha said:

SSDs should be erased with Secure Erase, not overwrites like with spinning rust.

Depends on the Threat Model:

Threat Model 1: Someone who can use forensic software, but can't/won't send the drive any instructions apart from "Read Sectors A-B" or modify the drive physically

Defense: One Pass Zeroes is enough.

Threat Model 2: Additionally, the opponent can run any Command they want or even custom Firmware

Defense: One Pass Zeroes, 3-4 Passes Random Data, optionally another pass Zeroes

Threat Model 3: Our Opponent has the capabilities to read the drive platters/NAND chips independently from the controller and the knowledge/tools to make sense of the raw data

Defense: As in Model 2, but additionally: Use strong magnetic fields (especially when using magnetic media), large amounts (>700 degC) of heat for at least an hour, drop in a bucket of ice water to accelerate physical destruction and to cool it down quicker, Try shooting a "Will it Blend" with the burned drive.

Get rid of powder in as many different places as possible.

In all Threat Models: Full Disk Encryption with LUKS or similar will also hinder an opponent from getting the data.

Please excuse my English, I'm a native German speaker.
Please note: I'm not sponsored or in any way affiliated with any mentioned company or product unless declared explicitly.

my two cents is what about the build in windows command how efficient is it, 

1. search "cmd"

2. Run as Admin

3. Type in "DiskPart"

4. List Disk ( so you know what disk you need and recommend opening disk manager to double check when selecting disk)

5. Select disk

6. "Clean" shortest or "Clean All" longest ( i assume with " Clean All" from googling that it takes several hours just like if you do Windows Reset Option, this way you dont need to reformatt windows and able to do individual drives using Command Prompt
 Depending on what your needing done sometimes when installing linux and wanting to reuse the drive in a windows enviorment is the fastest just using the command Clean) 

diskpart.png

So just to clarify, with typical HDDs the space is divided into physical containers, called sectors, if you want to immediately delete a file or even the hole disk you just override each sector with random data. Easy.
But Flash storage on the other hand is divided into blocks, which can wear out and are controlled by a flash controller, which provides an HDD-like interface to your system. Its job is to map sectors to blocks in a dynamic table, which allows the controller to spread the usage on different blocks, even if the operations are always on the same sectors. Which means, if you “overwrite” a sector, usually a new cell gets to be written on and the old one persists.
That's why in practice, flash storage is substantially larger (especially quality ones) than advertised, what allows for degrading blocks over time without losing storage space. All this is dealt with by the flash controller (invisible to user and system)!
BUT:

1. assume you are overwriting sector 0 typically doesn't change block 0, which means the system cannot see the data anymore.
  2. assume you are overwriting all sectors once, it does not affect all blocks, as the real size is larger.
  3. assume you are overwriting all sectors more than once, could work but might also not.

=> So if someone would take the flash media apart and insert their own controller and read block by block, he can definitely (potentially) recover the (all) data.

Of course there are solutions for secure deletion, but they typically require controller support and work by encrypting all cells, store keys in dedicated cells and if a file gets “deleted”, it does this by erasing the key cell. But in a nutshell this solution is far from being perfect and there are still no standards to date.

---------------------------------------

FYI: There is no intention in me sounding nerdy or anything like that, I just wanted to give a brief overview on how HDDs and SSDs differ in file deletion and the problem of Flash memory when wanting to securely delete data.

49 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

1. search "cmd"

2. Run as Admin

3. Type in "DiskPart"

4. List Disk ( so you know what disk you need and recommend opening disk manager to double check when selecting disk)

5. Select disk

6. "Clean" shortest or "Clean All" longest ( i assume with " Clean All" from googling that it takes several hours just like if you do Windows Reset Option, this way you dont need to reformatt windows and able to do individual drives using Command Prompt
 Depending on what your needing done sometimes when installing linux and wanting to reuse the drive in a windows enviorment is the fastest just using the command Clean) 

Just saying, this won't delete the data just the file system and partition table. You can easily recover files after this. If you want to wipe a drive you have to do a ata secure earse or write over all the data

3 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

We investigate a USB key that claims to irreversibly destroy data.

Buy the RedKey USB:

On Indiegogo: https://lmg.gg/8KV92

Lol. Love you guys. My Laurel and Hardy of tech. 

2 hours ago, TheSebware said:

Linus,

The MBR only holds Data about the Bootloader (if installed there) and the Partition Layout (Part. 0 starts at sect. 1, ends at sect. 1337 has a XFS/HFS/Ext4/ReiserFS/Whatever File System and Flags Alpha, Beta, Delta). GPT works similar.

Securely erasing data from a PC running Windows? Sysinternals to the rescue: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sdelete

Completely agree with this.

Seriously, it's such a basic mistake that maybe you should take the video down and correct it and reupload it.

Did nobody detect this in the week or so this video was on floatplane?

I have some notes stashed away somewhere but have some special DOS Debug commands that will wipe the drive and a Nuke Blast. Takes 2 seconds and under 2 minutes ?

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just saying, this won't delete the data just the file system and partition table. You can easily recover files after this. If you want to wipe a drive you have to do a ata secure earse or write over all the data

from what i understood " Clean All " is similar to the Reset Option like Linus did, but also from what i understood is " Clean All" secure erases the drive and writes all 0's but it takes a really long time i assume an hour per 320gb of data for the traditional drive shorter for SSD's here is a link to a fourm i found

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

I could do this mostly with Ubuntu and shell, Windows and batch (with admin privileges tbh), or macOS and shell... Granted, the different could be between 2 hours and 2 days depending on the drive and CPU tbh.. Also, I do mean "secure data erasing" which is typical mostly of macOS and Linux since diskpart (as posted above) usually people stop at "clean" which doesn't do any erasing until you get to `format fs=ntfs` WITHOUT the quick specifier will only do a single pass for 0's.

But hey, at $45 I could get like 5 of these things made (maybe not as a key, but just a flash drive with some code on it can be done).

5 hours ago, TheSebware said:

Linus,

Yeah, correct.

In a FAT (8/12/16/32bit) partition its stored in the FAT  (File Allocation Table, often 2 copies on a partition depending implementation/version)

In a NTFS (New Technology File System, many versions over the years since Windows NT 3.x) partition its stored in the MFT (Master File Table, can be multiple parts over the drive, has journallling, tiny files that are smaller than I believe 4kb will be stored inside the MFT itself instead of outside with a pointer)

And so every filesystem has its own "table" or system with where files are being located and managed with.

Seems like somebody didn't do their homework writing for the video.

The point of that key is to wipe the entire drive, which includes the partition table and the partitions with their filesystem on it.

Edited by DataStorm
incomplete sentence.

6 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

1. search "cmd"

2. Run as Admin

3. Type in "DiskPart"

5. Select disk

diskpart.png

i was gonna comment this, but yeah works fine, didnt do a test, but i know it wrote over all my data 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy