Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XPI Sigma

Do I need integrated graphics?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone!

I recently built a new computer, featuring an i7 8700k, and a GTX 1070 TI. I noticed during driver installation, there wasn't anything about an integrated graphics driver. (the mb: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z390-PRO-GAMING/) I know very well that the 1070TI can handle gaming, however, would having an integrated graphics installed do anything at all? Would it take the strain away from the GPU during gaming, or would it not matter because the processor has to deal with it anyway? 

Other than that, I have a lot of ports (PCI-E of many types) to use. Would it benefit my computer if I were to have a dedicated (but weak) GPU just for handling Windows 10, and non-gaming things? Or does it really not matter too much in the end?

In a nutshell:

-Would an integrated graphics driver help take strain away from a single GPU

-Would having a dedicated (cheap) gpu to fill a PCI-E slot be a nice alternative to integrated graphics

-Does it even matter?

My digital art: Twitter

i7 8700K, GTX 1070TI, Z390 TUF PRO GAMING

No, you don't need, laptops use both integrated graphics and dedicated gpu for power savings. don't mess with things and enjoy that 1070ti beautifying graphics

r5 2400G | Noctua Nh l9x65 am4 | MSI b450i gaming ac | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB ddr4-3000 | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG | Silverstone ML08

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 8GB cheap ram | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Msi rx 560 aero itx | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Since you have a CPU that's Skylake or later you could take advantage of QuickSync encoding in Premiere which is actually pretty damn good (or QS in OBS which honestly just isn't as good as NVENC). Aside from that, honestly all an iGPU is good for IMO in a desktop is if your dedicated card dies on you and you need a stop gap.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

While the "processor' is technically handling it, the integrated graphics is separate from the CPU portion of the processor. Using integrated graphics alone will not cause an increase in CPU usage in of itself. With that said, I don't think it's something you really need to concern yourself with. But it is handy to have for sure when it comes to troubleshooting, and waiting for a replacement graphics card if yours decides to die.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

having the integrated gpu won't slow anything down. It can be beneficial in certain encoding applications like @flibberdipper said. 

If you're having trouble finding it, you should be able to see it in device manager to make sure its functioning properly

You guys are awesome! Incredibly helpful. So a couple things. 

I may as well have integrated graphics, since it won't do anything negative, only help if my gpu decides to *fart sound*

As for getting the integrated graphics to begin with, I can't find it anywhere! It wasn't in the driver list, either. 

Windows usually just takes care of all that stuff for you when you need it, as long as it's enabled in the bios.

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz delidded @1.355v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 UV/OC 1677core/1050hbm // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 120GB PNY CS900/480GB PNY CS1311/1TB Hitachi Deskstar // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248QG // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 

Wife's System: Ryzen 5 1600 3.8ghz @1.3v // Wraith Spire // Gigabyte AX-370-Gaming // 16GB T-Force DDR4 2667 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB // Corsair Obsidian 750D // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital Blue // Displays: Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602

Son's System: i3-8350k 4.8ghz @ 1.35v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i5-4570 // ASUS H81I-Plus // 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333 // Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Mini // Cooler Master Elite 130 // Corsair CX600M // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Western Digital Blue // Display: AOC 20" // HP Business Keyboard // HP Business Mouse

1 hour ago, XPI Sigma said:

As for getting the integrated graphics to begin with, I can't find it anywhere! It wasn't in the driver list

The driver may already be installed, but you can go directly to Intel's site to get the graphics drivers required. This will also insure that you have the latest version installed or at your disposal. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Thank you all for your help! I think the reason why I can't see the integrated is because it was "disabled" by the motherboard automatically. Because windows still showed up before the GPU was even installed.

Thanks again!