Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightBizzare

Overclocking reduce life span?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello im new to overclocking so i dont know a lot. What about overclocking is reducing the life span of a graphics card? Is it the higher power limit? Higer core/memory clock? Higher core voltage?

Can someone explain to me please. Cause im not sure if i should overclock my asus dual 1060 3gb. i have tried and i got 140+ on the core and 360 on memory, and  power limit to 116.And i has worked perfectly fine under stress.  

I have now removed those settings cause i've read that overclocking reduces the life span of a GPU.

You'll only really drop the lifespan of something noticeably overclocking if you're really pushing it to the limit. Y'know, shoving boderline-unsafe volts through it and just yeeting the sumbitch. Just doing the normal stuff inside of Afterburner (or whatever you use) won't really hurt it since it's pretty idiot-proof.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

2 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

You'll only really drop the lifespan of something noticeably overclocking if you're really pushing it to the limit. Y'know, shoving boderline-unsafe volts through it and just yeeting the sumbitch. Just doing the normal stuff inside of Afterburner (or whatever you use) won't really hurt it since it's pretty idiot-proof.

So was my settings ok or were they borderline bad for my gpu? And should i have my fan speed on 80% 24/7

1 minute ago, NightBizzare said:

So was my settings ok or were they borderline bad for my gpu? And should i have my fan speed on 80% 24/7

Yeah your settings were fine. Really it's pretty hard to kill a card overclocking in AB unless you manage to fully unlock it.

And fan speed is completely up to you. If the noise doesn't bother you, go ahead. Really though, as long as it stays under 85C (the generally agreed upon safe zone) it'll be fine. I'd really only be worried if I saw temps getting into the 90s.

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

Here is a picture of my settings while playing fortnite on low settings

So these settings are completly fine? Cause im kinda on a budget and dont wanna buy another gpu cause of a bad oc xd

Skärmklipp.PNG

You'd be reducing it from like 25 years to 24yrs and 6mo

Also overclocking doesn't reduce lifespan by itself, overvolting does, it's not the same.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Don’t see it being an issue. If it fails, it’s from crappy components or user error. 

Do you really need it longer then 10 years?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 16GB, EVGA 1080 SC, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080 SC, Corsair CX850M, Acer xG270HU 2560x1440@144hz