9900k or 9800k for a new PC Build

TigerClaw

I'm thinking about a new PC build as an upgrade to my previous build. My current system is an Intel i7 3930k with 16GB of DDR3 1600mhz Ram. It currently has a GTX 1080 Ti, a Soundblaster Recon3D Fatality Champion Soundcard. An Elgato Game Capture HD60 Capture Card, Pioneer Blu-ray Writer. 5 SSD Drives. The CPU Cooler is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. The case is a Cooler Master HAF X.

The upgrade would be simply swapping the Motherboard, Ram, and CPU from the case. and putting in a new ones. I will still us my existing hardware.

Based on the research my 3930k has 40 PCI-E lanes. The 9900k has 16 PCI-E lanes and the 9800x has 44 PCI-E lanes.

I'm not running a dual SLI setup or anything. Just that I have 3 PCI-E cards in this system which I mentioned above.

Its a known fact that the CPU with the most PCI-E lanes is for running a system with dual GPUs. But I never really intended to do that. The 3930k was considered a high end gaming CPU at the time. Its the reason I built it in the first place. It was an enthusiast class CPU that does everything. I dabbled very little on video editing. For example shooting home movies with my video camera which only records in SD quality. and then adding the files together to create a DVD.

So I have two options. Either the 9900k or the 9800x. Both have there strengths and weaknesses. So I don't know what's best for me. Both of these CPUs are 8 cores and 16 threads. My 3930k is 6 cores and 12 throws. and I would love to make the jump from 6 cores to 8 cores.

Will having a GPU, Soundcard, Capture Card, along with Blu-ray Writer and 5 SSDs mean I need more then 16 PCI-E lanes? The 3930k has 40 PCI-E lanes.

CPU: I9-9900k CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz Dual Channel Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Soundcard: Sound BlasterX AE-7 Capture Card: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1TB SSD Storage Drives: WD BLACK SN750 NVME 1TB SSD WD Blue 1TB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2 WD Blue 500GB SSDs Blu-Ray Drive: Pioneer BDR-2207 Power Supply:  Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD 850W 80+ Platinum Case: Cooler Master HAF X OS: Windows 10 Pro

Sound card and capture card will probably run on chipset lanes, so I'd go 9900K for better gaming performance.

You could also use your old system as a dedicated capture PC so you free up even more resources for gaming.

No signature found

56 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Sound card and capture card will probably run on chipset lanes, so I'd go 9900K for better gaming performance.

You could also use your old system as a dedicated capture PC so you free up even more resources for gaming.

What about the 5 SSDs drives that I have?

Also I haven't really stream any PC games. Just console games which is why I have that Elgato Capture Card. I don't stream all the time. Just sometimes depending on the game I want to play.

CPU: I9-9900k CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz Dual Channel Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Soundcard: Sound BlasterX AE-7 Capture Card: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1TB SSD Storage Drives: WD BLACK SN750 NVME 1TB SSD WD Blue 1TB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2 WD Blue 500GB SSDs Blu-Ray Drive: Pioneer BDR-2207 Power Supply:  Seasonic PRIME 850 Platinum SSR-850PD 850W 80+ Platinum Case: Cooler Master HAF X OS: Windows 10 Pro

Reduce the number of SSD's. Use a large NVME for boot and caching for a large hard drive and sell the other drives, at least that's what I would do.

No signature found

40 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Reduce the number of SSD's. Use a large NVME for boot and caching for a large hard drive and sell the other drives, at least that's what I would do.

I moved away from hard drives and went SSD for boot drive and storage drives. I no longer want to use mechanical drives for storage. Which is why I have 5 SSDs. I have 2 512GB SSDs from Samsung. 2 500GB WD Blue SSDs. and 1 1TB WD Blue SSD. I like to use them all for media storage and backups.

I'm assuming the following config:

gpu and capture card: 8x 8x (won't make a big difference over 16x)

soundcard and nvme ssd: chipset

blueray writer and other ssds: SATA

so you can use a 9900k and be happy with what you saved

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'm assuming the following config:

gpu and capture card: 8x 8x (won't make a big difference over 16x)

soundcard and nvme ssd: chipset

blueray writer and other ssds: SATA

so you can use a 9900k and be happy with what you saved

Ok so your saying having the GPU and the Capture Card forces the GPU at 8x PCI-E on a 9900k. That is something I'm not comfortable with. Because i want the GPU at its full 16x PCI-E. Its why i went with the 3930k in the first place.

I may have to settle for the 9800x. Because it has 44 PCI-E lanes. That's 4 more PCI lanes then my 3930k. and I feel more comfortable with that. After all the 9800k is part class of CPU configurations for enthusiasts. Which is what I consider myself to be. Someone who just wants a computer that does everything. I'm also comfortable with the whole quad channel memory setup as well.

Is it overkill? Yes! But that is the point. I want something that's completely overkill. that will last me for a couple of years. Kind of like how the 3930k has last me for a couple of years since 2012.

31 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

Ok so your saying having the GPU and the Capture Card forces the GPU at 8x PCI-E on a 9900k. That is something I'm not comfortable with. Because i want the GPU at its full 16x PCI-E. Its why i went with the 3930k in the first place.

yes, but it doesn't matter as a 1080 ti on 8x vs 16x won't perform any different

31 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

After all the 9800k is part class of CPU configurations for enthusiasts. Which is what I consider myself to be. Someone who just wants a computer that does everything. I'm also comfortable with the whole quad channel memory setup as well.

no, it's part of a outdated hedt platform that has been surpassed by consumer hardware except for the i9's. they are a waste of money imho.

33 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

Is it overkill? Yes!

is it overkill? no

is it unnecessary? yes

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes, but it doesn't matter as a 1080 ti on 8x vs 16x won't perform any different

no, it's part of a outdated hedt platform that has been surpassed by consumer hardware except for the i9's. they are a waste of money imho.

is it overkill? no

is it unnecessary? yes

So your saying the 9900k is the one that is the overkill?

2 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

So your saying the 9900k is the one that is the overkill?

no, I'm saying that hedt (x299) is a waste of money except if you want to go to the I9, which you shouldn't, because you won't benefit from it in gaming workloads. I'm saying you won't go wrong with a 9900k on a good motherboard (please don't get asus on z390 btw) or wait for x599

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, I'm saying that hedt (x299) is a waste of money except if you want to go to the I9, which you shouldn't, because you won't benefit from it in gaming workloads. I'm saying you won't go wrong with a 9900k on a good motherboard (please don't get asus on z390 btw) or wait for x599

What's wrong with Asus on the z390 platform? My current system which is the x79. is running on an Asus Motherboard. and its been working fine ever since.

1 minute ago, TigerClaw said:

What's wrong with Asus on the z390 platform? My current system which is the x79. is running on an Asus Motherboard. and its been working fine ever since.

asus cheaped out on the vrms, everything except for the maximus line is a parallel 4+2 phase, and with gigabyte offering 12+2 for the same price or less you shouldn't go asus on z390

i don't say asus is bad, but they're getting worse

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

asus cheaped out on the vrms, everything except for the maximus line is a parallel 4+2 phase, and with gigabyte offering 12+2 for the same price or less you shouldn't go asus on z390

i don't say asus is bad, but they're getting worse

Is that due to overclocking? Because that isn't something I'm doing with my current system. I just have the system using the XMP Profile of my ramp and setting the CPU at Turbo Mode and in all cores. So its always running at around 3.8Ghz.

11 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

Is that due to overclocking? Because that isn't something I'm doing with my current system. I just have the system using the XMP Profile of my ramp and setting the CPU at Turbo Mode and in all cores. So its always running at around 3.8Ghz.

a bit, but I've seen 9900k powertrottle on z390 crosshair boards, so i would highly recommend the gigabyte aorus linup, even if you aren't overclocking

29 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

a bit, but I've seen 9900k powertrottle on z390 crosshair boards, so i would highly recommend the gigabyte aorus linup, even if you aren't overclocking

I see. Though I want a bit of overclocking. I read the 9900k turbos up to 5.0Ghz on 1 or 2 cores I think. and hopefully my current CPU air cooler can handle it. If not. I'll have to go with a Noctua NH-D15. I don't want to deal with liquid cooler. since my system is already running 24/7.

The HAF X case provides plenty of air flow because of the fans it has on the front. side, top and back of the case.

29 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

I see. Though I want a bit of overclocking. I read the 9900k turbos up to 5.0Ghz on 1 or 2 cores I think. and hopefully my current CPU air cooler can handle it. If not. I'll have to go with a Noctua NH-D15. I don't want to deal with liquid cooler. since my system is already running 24/7.

The HAF X case provides plenty of air flow because of the fans it has on the front. side, top and back of the case.

yeah, should be fine. as said, gigabyte aorus is kind of the king, it's just how far you want to go is what mobo you should choose. you could run a oc on the aorus elite without problems, but features are a thing too

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, should be fine. as said, gigabyte aorus is kind of the king, it's just how far you want to go is what mobo you should choose. you could run a oc on the aorus elite without problems, but features are a thing too

As far as features are concern. It needs to have 6 sata ports due to having 5 SSDs and a Blu-ray writer, and plenty of USB ports on the back. on my current system. the only things connected to the USB are the keyboard, mouse, webcam, blue yeti mic. and a powered USB 3.0 hub.

Also this current system is using a LEPA 850 watt Gold PSU. Its been working since 2012.

Just now, TigerClaw said:

As far as features are concern. It needs to have 6 sata ports due to having 5 SSDs and a Blu-ray writer, and plenty of USB ports on the back. on my current system. the only things connected to the USB are the keyboard, mouse, webcam, blue yeti mic. and a powered USB 3.0 hub.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10#kf

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#kf

these are some great examples of what you could go for

4 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

Also this current system is using a LEPA 850 watt Gold PSU. Its been working since 2012.

yeah... i can't do much without model number, but if it's a midrange, it might be a good idea to swap it for something more recent

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... i can't do much without model number, but if it's a midrange, it might be a good idea to swap it for something more recent

This is the PSU in my current system.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817494009

2 minutes ago, TigerClaw said:

ah okay. it's still a good enough psu, but since it's 6 years old, you might want to swap it now. you save time because you don't have to do it again in a year of two when it will probably die. most of the psus at this class survive around 7-9 years when correctly handled. and it will make the system quieter too

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah okay. it's still a good enough psu, but since it's 6 years old, you might want to swap it now. you save time because you don't have to do it again in a year of two when it will probably die. most of the psus at this class survive around 7-9 years when correctly handled. and it will make the system quieter too

My system isn't really quiet. I have the fans always running at 100%. The ambient temps in this room wouldn't be ideal for a quiet system. Because this room is usually around 80F or more. and I need really good cooling all the time.

1 minute ago, TigerClaw said:

My system isn't really quiet. I have the fans always running at 100%. The ambient temps in this room wouldn't be ideal for a quiet system. Because this room is usually around 80F or more. and I need really good cooling all the time.

i mean... it's your choise

and a nhd15 should be great for that, but look around for a dark rock pro 4 too

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

i mean... it's your choise

and a nhd15 should be great for that, but look around for a dark rock pro 4 too

I'm thinking about the NHD15. The current CPU cooler is similar to it. But Phanteks hasn't done a refresh or a new model of this cooler for years.

What if I were to get one of those Motherboards with more PCI-E 16x slots? Would that even work better? I read you can do SLI on a Z390 board I believe. Not that I want to do that. But still. The motherboard has to provide you with plenty of PCI-E lanes.

Theoretically, Having the Capture Card and Soundcard on the last two PCI-E slots shouldn't interfere with the 1st PCI-E 16x slot.