Anyone else seeing this ?!?!

xFetusx
2 minutes ago, ZenCarter said:

I feel like you guys quoted my post without actually reading, or never had an anxiety attack in your life.

If you have anxiety, the last thing you should be doing is broadcasting yourself on the internet.

Totally agree with ZenCarter. Carey's chat on that video was very toxic, but what he said in the video is valid. Linus or somebody representing him (or more likely, youtube's broken algorithm) either knowingly or unknowingly issued these copyright claims.

Carey does tend to overreact, but he's the #1 trustworthy source (imo) for PC-related info on Youtube, so I believe him.

There are tons of businessmen who use YouTube and doesn't fully get how the YouTube AI works beyond what they were initially to understand.

I bet if a lawyer who probably knows nothing about YouTube or technology were to post a video and receive a strike from Linus, he/she would also point fingers instantly too.

3 minutes ago, SharKCS11 said:

Totally agree with ZenCarter. Carey's chat on that video was very toxic, but what he said in the video is valid. Linus or somebody representing him (or more likely, youtube's broken algorithm) either knowingly or unknowingly issued these copyright claims.

Carey does tend to overreact, but he's the #1 trustworthy source (imo) for PC-related info on Youtube, so I believe him.

No, nobody actively did this. IT IS COMPLETELY AUTOMATED BY YOUTUBE'S CONTENT ID SYSTEM. The same thing happened to the TechQuickie channel for using content from the main LTT channel. Do you really, honestly think they content claimed themselves?

He is INCORRECT. You can believe him all you want - he's still completely incorrect. 

2 minutes ago, ZenCarter said:

There are tons of businessmen who use YouTube and doesn't fully get how the YouTube AI works beyond what they were initially to understand.

I bet if a lawyer who probably knows nothing about YouTube or technology were to post a video and receive a strike from Linus, he/she would also point fingers instantly too.

He's got 1/4 million subscribers and has dealt with situations like this before. Don't patronize us by saying he doesn't know how content ID works by now. If he honestly doesn't, he's willfully choosing to be ignorant to it.

1 minute ago, ZenCarter said:

I doubt it. A lawyer should know what can happen if you throw misguided accusations around in public.

Just now, Paladin Goo said:

Do you really, honestly think they content claimed themselves?

No, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a network that he's partnered with doing it. I don't know how Linus Media operates or whether they're even part of a network, but I have heard cases where a multi-channel network (or even sponsor) tries to make spurious claims on content they don't own.

I think this is getting out of hand. Obviously yes Carey did over react and was incorrect but he is only a human. A good chunk of us I would hope are human with flaws.

The initial point that I was making was, if you are some one who had been attacked your whole life, response to situations, even small ones, can have massive outcomes because in your head, it seems bigger than what it is.

To prevent moderators here from getting involved, this is my last reply as I feel I've made my point more than once. How you want to take my comments is completely up to you.

4 minutes ago, SharKCS11 said:

No, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a network that he's partnered with doing it. I don't know how Linus Media operates or whether they're even part of a network, but I have heard cases where a multi-channel network (or even sponsor) tries to make spurious claims on content they don't own.

That is COMPLETELY possible (but unlikely, because content ID is known for doing this automatically) - but there's a HUGE difference between saying it's their network, and LMG themselves. Networks do this without even notifying the content creators.

3 minutes ago, ZenCarter said:

I think this is getting out of hand. Obviously yes Carey did over react and was incorrect but he is only a human. A good chunk of us I would hope are human with flaws.

The initial point that I was making was, if you are some one who had been attacked your whole life, response to situations, even small ones, can have massive outcomes because in your head, it seems bigger than what it is.

To prevent moderators here from getting involved, this is my last reply as I feel I've made my point more than once. How you want to take my comments is completely up to you.

To be fair, the reasons Carey often gets attacked are largely brought on by himself. He's done everything from call channels like LTT shills, to say people have a mental illness for thinking it matters how you apply thermal paste. He largely invites that kind of treatment with the way he talks a lot of the time. He may know what he's talking about for the most part, but he's a smug guy with a holier than thou attitude.

Just now, SharKCS11 said:

LTT is part of an MCN but TechQuicke and the other channels are not. The MCN that LTT is under is Full Screen I believe. They talked about it on the latest (but currently unavailable) WAN show

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, SharKCS11 said:

Another post of someone that got hit with these strikes it was claimed by Fullscreen, which is a big network

3 minutes ago, ZenCarter said:

Well next time contact the channel first, make videos later.

4 minutes ago, Paladin Goo said:

Again, as a business man, he should know better than to speak from emotion like that. He's a man who preaches professionalism as a religion, and coming out with a blame game video like that is about as unprofessional as it gets.

He likely felt the need to get the word out soon as possible fearing his channel would be taken down. Getting 2 strikes is a huge deal, receiving 7 is freaking overkill and the ID system is beyond broken to get hit with so many content ID strikes at once.

2 minutes ago, SharKCS11 said:

Yeah he could have went to twitter first trying to get LTT's and Youtube's attention but the video got it out there,and  I doubt a lot of creators know about the new content ID changes or how it really works.  I like Carey's videos as he doesn't sell out with sponsor videos and his build guides are very detailed, he and LTT is what got me into building PC's.

Just now, Paladin Goo said:

This exactly, again.

The second he made that video, Carey instantly became the only actual person in the wrong. 

This

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

He likely felt the need to get the word out soon as possible fearing his channel would be taken down. Getting 2 strikes is a huge deal, receiving 7 is freaking overkill and the ID system is beyond broken to get hit with so many content ID strikes at once.

It is overkill, yes, but that's how content ID works. That's how it's always operated; and every time Youtube messes with the algorithm, it causes things like this; BUT, like I said before, he's been doing youtube for 10 years, and has 1/4 million subscribers. You can't expect me to believe he doesn't know full well that content ID exists and how it works considering he has dealt with things like this before.

7 minutes ago, Paladin Goo said:

He may know what he's talking about for the most part, but he's a smug guy with a holier than thou attitude.

Yeah, I love his channel but I can't argue with that tbh. 

ContentID doesn't "shut down" a channel... it's not even a copyright claim, it doesn't affect the account's standing...
What a clickbaity title.
Beside, this ain't LTT doing this, it's all Youtube and their trash ContentID falsely ID'ing videos.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, Paladin Goo said:

That is COMPLETELY possible (but unlikely, because content ID is known for doing this automatically) - but there's a HUGE difference between saying it's their network, and LMG themselves. Networks do this without even notifying the content creators.

To be fair, the reasons Carey often gets attacked are largely brought on by himself. He's done everything from call channels like LTT shills, to say people have a mental illness for thinking it matters how you apply thermal paste. He largely invites that kind of treatment with the way he talks a lot of the time. He may know what he's talking about for the most part, but he's a smug guy with a holier than thou attitude.

Except LMG has the choice to drop their MCN,which is seeming to be the better option with how much it could hurt his name for how many auto claims are going out to other channels.

But have you seen how much sponsor spot videos LTT does? I don't have a problem with them at all but some of them are just ads for a product, like the Dyson vacuum video. And i've seen youtubers obsess over how you apply thermal paste, which is pretty funny IMO because it doesn't even matter unless you apply not enough or too much, spreading it out only helps as you know if you've used enough paste.

7 minutes ago, Paladin Goo said:

It is overkill, yes, but that's how content ID works. That's how it's always operated; and every time Youtube messes with the algorithm, it causes things like this; BUT, like I said before, he's been doing youtube for 10 years, and has 1/4 million subscribers. You can't expect me to believe he doesn't know full well that content ID exists and how it works considering he has dealt with things like this before.

No not with the changes Youtube did to the content ID system, its been flagging tons of content lately and no one knows why or what changed.

And Carey's channel AFAIK is just him,versus LMG which is a whole company with a MCN to cover them, so it is understandable that Carey is freaking out over the ID claims.

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Except LMG has the choice to drop their MCN,which is seeming to be the better option with how much it could hurt his name for how many auto claims are going out to other channels.

Yes, let's ask them to change their entire business model because of an automated youtube system.

But have you seen how much sponsor spot videos LTT does? I don't have a problem with them at all but some of them are just ads for a product, like the Dyson vacuum video.

And? He's also criticized said sponsors in video as well. What's your point? Apparently you're against LMG putting food on their families tables? Not sure what you're even implying here.

And i've seen youtubers obsess over how you apply thermal paste, which is pretty funny IMO because it doesn't even matter unless you apply not enough or too much, spreading it out only helps as you know if you've used enough paste.

No, spreading it does not help. It's been shown that unless you use too little, actual temperatures are completely within margin of error. Spreading it out only serves to make a mess. The mount pressure of the cooler is more than enough to spread it out adequately when using the dot/rice/peace/line method, all while making cleaning and replacement far easier later and producing the same results.

No not with the changes Youtube did to the content ID system, its been flagging tons of content lately and no one knows why or what changed.

This happens every year or so. It's entirely youtube. it recognizes video similarity and nothing more. It's flawed as hell, but that's just how it is unfortunately. 

And Carey's channel AFAIK is just him,versus LMG which is a whole company with a MCN to cover them, so it is understandable that Carey is freaking out over the ID claims.

It's understandable to not be happy, sure; but again, he's a content creator with 1/4 million subscribers who has dealt with this situation before. To expect us to believe he doesn't know how content ID works, completely automated, is nuts. His blaming (which will backfire on him big time) as well as asking for a public announcement/apology from Linus would make most people think he just wants free promotion. I mean, he *has* expressed disdain and resentment for his lack of channel growth compared to other tech channels in the past.

If Google turned in the Youtube copyright algorithm as homework, I'd put down my red pen, pick up my red sharpie, give them a big, fat, bold zero that  bleeds through the top two or three pages.  It is an utter failure for which they should have to repeat the semester.

It throws an unacceptable number of false positives, claiming unrelated content for being even vaguely similar.  Hey guess what?  No one owns the copyright on *saying things about computers.*  I'm surprised it hasn't flagged every video that features a guy standing in front of some shelves.

It makes claims on others behalf without their permission, and says so.  "You've been flagged as using content owned by Linus Media Group."  Well I didn't, so have they decided to attack me?  No, a server somewhere running code no one wrote attacked you for them.  Now say thank you.

It fails to recognize actual blatant copyright theft, being completely fooled by minor changes in video speed, a gradient filter or audio pitch.  Youtube is full of pirated movies and TV shows that are thus distorted.

It flags content in the public domain.  Scott Manley was flagged for using NASA footage.  AvE was flagged for a USAF performance of Gustav Holst's Jupiter.  Both of these are government works and thus in the public domain. The problem is, these works have ever been used by anyone else in a copyrighted work.  According to Youtube, it is illegal to be the second guy to re-publish a public domain work.

It does not respect fair use.  Journalists and critics constantly have their videos discussing and critiquing works flagged, despite being obviously within fair use.

It does not respect licensed use.  Collaboration videos get flagged when simultaneously posted on both channels that worked on it, or when one youtuber guest stars on another's channel.

It has no mechanism to determine relationships.  If TechQuickie is getting flagged for using LinusTechTips content, that means that it has no functioning way of deciding "Yeah, that's the same corporate entity posting it's own intellectual property in two different places, that's legit.  Carry on."

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, it operates on a guilty until proven innocent basis.  Because of course it does.

I won't even count how easy and encouraged it is to weaponize the copyright claim system, wherein it gets used not as a tool to protect profits from intellectual property, but to silence discussion or just hurt someone you don't like, as that is outside the automatic "no one can ever know how it works, it just "does"" section.

I think we're going to have to have a parent-teacher-principal conference about this child's performance on this assignment.

rant videos created in cars are never a good idea. it shows that no thought has been put in at all and just "i'm angry, i need to create a video RIGHT NOW".

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I wonder how much of this is the users of content ID ignoring what it says on the tin, and how much is youtube:

What we have here is someone, 'player T', producing a piece of software that produces 'software visuals'. T then non-exclusively licenses it to two other players, 'A' and 'B'.

A and B now hold rights to the software visuals, but they do not hold exclusive rights.

Then players A and B record videos yapping about about what they observe. The resulting videos contain two components: The yapping, and the software visuals. They hold exclusive rights to the yapping. They can upload their videos just fine, since they hold non-exclusive rights to the remainder.

So, do they hold exclusive rights to all of the video contents?

Now read youtube's 'Qualifying for Content ID', and I can see why this might be happening.

I'd also like to add, as an addition to everything I've said thus far - if you don't think this is about attention seeking, take a look at the clickbait title. "LinusTechTips Trying To Shut Down My YouTube Channel".

It's just so crude how he keeps coming back to the implication of Linus intending for this to happen, and also the hilarious irony of "these people don't really tend to understand technology" but not understanding this claim system is a hoot.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

It's just so crude how he keeps coming back to the implication of Linus intending for this to happen, and also the hilarious irony of "these people don't really tend to understand technology" but not understanding this claim system is a hoot.

He does that a lot. "Linus and all these hobbyist channels don't understand technology" all while conveniently ignoring how LTT actually started. A bunch of techs who worked for NCIX...doing exactly what he does in his videos. This guy is ignorant to anything that isn't a consumer computer system.