Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrinceNorris

Suing a harassing players in video games

Posted · Original PosterOP

First of all, I'm not asking if it's reasonable (and I'm not going to do it) because in my opinion it isn't even a bit, but I'm curious. If there is actually someone so determined to prove he is better than the player who is harassing him, is it possbile to legally sue a person for offending someone in public place? Or someone just fed up with so many people thinking like 'I can write whatever I want because you can't see me lol'.

Considering that millions and millions of people play video games and they also see what you are typing (in public chat anyways), the game chat can be considered as public place, right?

If so, then is there any chance that suing person would eventually win the case and receive any 'recovery' from it?

And lastly, since we now have GDPR or something in Europe, game developers have to give you chat logs if you ask them. That's how European Union works.

I'm curious what you have to say about that.

Making Internet a better place.

8 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

If there is actually someone so determined to prove he is better than the player who is harassing him, is it possbile to legally sue a person for offending someone in public place? Or someone just fed up with so many people thinking like 'I can write whatever I want because you can't see me lol'.

Depending on what the other person was saying, one just about might be able to sue for defamation, but... eh, I would hazard a guess that the chances of actually winning in court would be rather miniscule. That said, I am not a lawyer and I am only spouting things from what little armchair-insight I've gathered over the years and I could be entirely off the base here.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

At least in the US no, you cannot sue someone for harassing you. 

You can however get an order of no contact between you and the person, and with such they cannot contact you in any way, less they be fined or even arrested by the police. Very similar to a restraining order.

And suing someone for harassing you? Really? "Im offended, so im going to sue you" is really not the kind of attitude you should have. Being offended is core to what we are as humans, we have to risk of offending each other, or else we can never have a true intellectual conversation on any kind of topic. Without the risk to offend no new ideas can be proposed, and that is inherently more oppressive than almost anything else in my mind. Suing someone for the right to not be offended would set such a horrid precedence, if it was set in my country I would rise up in revolution to reestablish the core concepts that made our country the greatest in earths history.

Updated Build 2019 | 4790K @4.7ghz | EVGA FTW 1080 | 16gb 1866mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengance | Asus z97a | Case: be Quite Base 800 | Acer k272hul | Sennheiser 558 + MXL 770 + Soundblaster K3+

26 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

is it possbile to legally sue a person for offending someone in public place?

Yeah, here in Spain it's called "verbal aggression" and, only if it's serious (like, for example, wish your family were dead or something like that), it will have a repercussion. If he only calls you a noob, useless shit, piece of crap and a loser and you have the choice to block the communication and decide not to, it's somehow... half your fault. I play Overwatch, and every time a team mate makes fun of me for whatever reason, I just block that loser, even if it's ranked I don't give a shit. Otherwise, if after blocking that person, s/he decides to create new accounts and bully you, that could be a real aggression and, therefore, you could sue. But that's here in Spain/Europe.

30 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

the game chat can be considered as public place, right?

Of course not, it doesn't take place in a public space. If there's a party in a house and a guest starts bullying another guest, is it public space? Of course not, but it doesn't really matter if it's on public or private, a crime is a crime. Anyway, don't think a game chat is considered a public space or something like that.

33 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

is there any chance that suing person would eventually win the case and receive any 'recovery' from it? 

It seems like you are being a (fuck this word but it's the best to describe the situation) butthurt and want to make money from a person's stupidity? This is Europe, most sues won't make you money, this isn't USA. If that person really bullied you and you couldn't do anything (like I said before, blocking didn't do anything since the person creates several accounts, etc) and that person harassed you so bad (as I said before, calling you noob, useless, loser, etc won't do anything), yeah he could be fined for harassment and bullying depending on countries.

Don't expect much, you should talk to the game support, they are the ones that should help you by banning and removing that person's accounts.

Well, I guess if it is something serious - like murder threats, homophobic and/or racist messages, and I mean for real, not something retarded like "fuck u ur gey" - than I guess you could sue.

That reminds me of a case that happened here: a guy was talking shit about a girl on social media, saying that they had sex and she cheated or her bf with him... She sued and he had to post on his FB page that he was being charged with defamation and everything was a lie. 

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

There's a difference between trash talk and harassment though

Definatley, but i dont see why poeple instantly gets so seriously offended to the point of wanting to bring it to court by  what some loser is typing to you in some game. 

Im also no law expert but its probably a very hard case to give any form of consequnces, had it been social media it would be something completely differnet.

In Murica you can sue anyone, anywhere, anytime, for any reason.

i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz

Asus Strix OC 1080Ti

ROG Maximus IX Hero

EVGA G2 850W

32GB DDR4 (16x2) @ 3000Mhz

X62 Kraken

Creative Soundblaster Zx

Windows 10 Pro x64

Phanteks Primo

20 minutes ago, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

Definatley, but i dont see why poeple instantly gets so seriously offended to the point of wanting to bring it to court by  what some loser is typing to you in some game. 

Im also no law expert but its probably a very hard case to give any form of consequnces, had it been social media it would be something completely differnet.

People have been put in prison over tweets in the UK why are games any different? 

And America is so trigger happy on suing people over anything. 

Just because the platform is different doesn't mean it can't be legitimate harassment. I would actually welcome more punishment based on Behaviour in games because online games are full of some of the most toxic idiots on this planet 

1 hour ago, Kriss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) said:

I think trash talking in games should be allowed and if you cant handle it they you cant handle the internet.

your avatar says everything

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

In Murica you can sue anyone, anywhere, anytime, for any reason.

"A woman came to us saying that one of your ancestors was a blacksmith and one day a spark lightened her ancestor's house on fire. She can't provide evidence because it happened a long time ago. Your fine is one billion schillings."

In case someone didn't catch the joke - #MeToo 😉

Making Internet a better place.

I mean honestly, I just mute or block annoying people.  If they try to dox ya, DoS/DDoS ya, cyberstalk ya, and shit along those terms then maybe make it a legal matter.   If you mean in context they call you a lil bitch or something like that then just ignore them.  If they start following you around the net to continue to try and piss you off then it's pretty much reached harassment at that point plus it is technically cyberstalking.  So, that is when you can start making it a legal issue.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

If I am seriously piss off by someone's trolling, I will make it my life mission to track the offending guy down and beat the bloody living daylight out of him to death, even at the cost of my very own life. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

People have been put in prison over tweets in the UK why are games any different? 

Just because the platform is different doesn't mean it can't be legitimate harassment. I would actually welcome more punishment based on Behaviour in games because online games are full of some of the most toxic idiots on this planet 

The level of decency expected on differnt platforms are vastly different. Whats bad humor on one platform is a geniuine criminal charge on another but i guess we'll just dissagree

2 hours ago, aezakmi said:

your avatar says everything

Great argument. You sure showed me 👍

Honestly if I barely know someone, I'm not acting any similar on how I would do IRL, just because we do not know each other, and I do not know if someone is trolling or not, and I would just ignore every mean comment someone can do to me

I'll start to get worry if someone really hates me and start stalking and asking some people to know who I am, where I live and this is the only case I would really be concerned and want to sue someone

But in general please don't get mad at people in video games...

Every community has toxic people, some places are moderated others are not, still I'm not willing to sue someone if he insults my mum on a MOBA, I would just laugh at him, because Its sad getting mad in this way, a bit of counter trolling can be fun in this situation

All of this assuming you are using nicknames, so absolutely not something like Facebook

Edited by Guest
9 hours ago, Atmos said:

At least in the US no, you cannot sue someone for harassing you. 

I should probably elaborate, because what i've said is not quite accurate.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

You can start a lawsuit against anyone at any time for any reason, because we're the land of the free, and to be free, you must be able to do such things. Having some people who are immune from being litigated is well, that's just insane.

Now we get to the real question though. Could you sue someone for harassment. In the US, yes, technically you CAN file litigation against someone for harassment. But, what would you get out of suing for harassment? A court issued no contact order, and or, restraining order. Unless someone's harassment has caused you to lose your job, or impacted your earnings in a significant way then you will get no money from suing them, because they caused you no financial harm.

But you know whats better than wasting our countries already precious court time over in-game disputes because someone offended you?

Muting them, or just ignoring them. Its way faster, cheaper, and easier.

Updated Build 2019 | 4790K @4.7ghz | EVGA FTW 1080 | 16gb 1866mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengance | Asus z97a | Case: be Quite Base 800 | Acer k272hul | Sennheiser 558 + MXL 770 + Soundblaster K3+

18 minutes ago, Atmos said:

You can start a lawsuit against anyone at any time for any reason, because we're the land of the free, and to be free, you must be able to do such things. Having some people who are immune from being litigated is well, that's just insane.

The world isn't America. nor did i insinuate that people should be immune, i'm saying that people will try to sue over anything and just because you CAN and even if you wont get any money, it doesn't make it any less moronic.

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

The results of a necessarily free system lmao.

The stupid people will use it too. Also wasnt saying you wanted immunity from litigation, was just saying the alternative to free and open litigation is inherently just bad