Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FullTank1337

Controller VS Mouse/Keyboard

Posted · Original PosterOP

I couldn't find any threads about this so...

I want to discuss gaming (on PC ofc) with a game controller, as opposed to gaming with a mouse and keyboard. I keep seeing all these fancy shmancy optical mice and mechanical keyboards costing hundreds of dollars online and at my local tech shops, and while they are very nice, I find myself always sticking to cheap 20y/o $3 membrane Dell/HP mice and keyboards from the thrift store (after cleaning them ofc). They seem to work just fine for web browsing and typing word documents, meanwhile, as a video game collector, I've got bins full of old controllers for dozens of old game consoles and even a few actual PC controllers. For any kind of gaming, I just kinda look at my bin and ask myself "what would be the best controller for this game?" and then grab/buy a USB adapter for like $5 on ebay. I find that the Xbox 360 controller is all-around the best controller for 3D games, while PS1/PS2 controllers are perfect for 2D games.

Yes, I know, nothing beats the accuracy of a mouse (especially newer laser/optical ones) and that I'd get clobbered in a First Person Shooter, strategy game, or an old-school point-and-click adventure, but for everything else, I just see no reason to deal with a mouse and keyboard for anything outside of regular computery stuff.

Any fans of Dance Dance Revolution out there? Can't afford to buy or build a metal pad? just take your craptastic fold-up pad, get a USB adapter, download StepMania, and you're good to go. Got an Xbox 360 pad? Just plug it right in, you don't even need an adapter.

The whole idea of a gaming mouse or keyboard just contuses me. It's simply not the right tool for the job. The mouse was invented to navigate a GUI, the Keyboard was invented to type papers, while the controller was invented for gaming. So from my perspective, trying to game with a mouse/keyboard is like hammering a nail with a wrench instead of a hammer. Yeah, it works, but why would you do that?

TL;DR Mice and Keyboards are great, and essential for FPS, strategy, and adventure games (and ofc everything non-gaming) but for everything else, a controller just makes more sense. ESPECIALLY on the PC, where you can use any controller you want with any game you want.

But that's just my opinion. What do you guys think?

I personally prefer a gamepad for 3rd person games, such as The Witcher and GTA. Not that they aren't enjoyable with a mouse and keyboard...I just like a gamepad with those sorts of games more. But like you said, the best part of pc gaming is the flexibility to use whatever interface you like most with whichever game you choose. 

I played GTA 5 on both Xbox 360 and PS4 from 2014-2018, so I was well-accustomed to the Dualshock 4 controller. I now find myself still reaching for a Dualshock 4 if I'm playing on PC GTA 5, I'm too used to it.

Same for Rocket League, I played it on PS4 from 2017-2018, and now on PC, I still reach for a Dualshock 4.

It depends on the game in the end, some are more enjoyable with a controller, others a keyboard and mouse.

Hell, sometimes when playing PC Overwatch, I play with a controller because I played PS4 Overwatch for so long.

S E O Z

Custom Build Log  Arctic Freezer 33 eSports One Review  i5-8600K 5.3GHz CPU-Z Validation  Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Perspective

Main PC:

CPU: i5-8600K 4.7GHz Cooler: Arctic 33 eSports One Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 GPU: Asus GTX 1060 3GB Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 + 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD PSU: Corsair CX450M Case: NZXT S340

Keyboard: EagleTec KG011 Mouse: Logitech G305 Monitor: LG 29WK600 Sound: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

Brother:

CPU: Ryzen 2200G 3.5GHz Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper 4 DDR4-3000 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Storage: Integral V2 250GB SSD PSU: BQ PP 10 400W Case: DeepCool Frame

Keyboard: Redragon K552 Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB Monitor: AOC E2270SWHN + Acer KG221Q Sound: Earbuds

Asus ZenBook UX410-UA:

CPU: i3-8130U 2.2GHz RAM: 12GB DDR4-2400 Storage: 256GB SK Hynix M.2 SATA SSD Screen: 14" 1920x1080p IPS

imo, mouse > controller, as you get much more precison, ditto for WASD, however for switching weapons, reloading, etc, controller is fine.

its your own personal preferance, you don't need to spend 200$ on a keyboard, there are plenty of good 30$ keyboards, and tons of great 30$ mice, also, keyboard and mouse are multipurpose, you wouldn't write an email with a controoler,

47$ for controoler + 15$ for basic mouse + keyboard = 40$ mech keyboard + 20$ mouse.

PC (Main)

CPU: i5-8400 CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus   Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M DS3H | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8 DDR4-2400

Boot/OS SSD: Inland 480GB SSD | Video Card: RX 570 4GB Strix OC | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White TG (11/10) PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750

Monitor: Sceptre 24" 1080p 75hz

NAS:

Synology DS418J w/ 4x WD Red Pro 6TB RAID 10 (used 7.3/12TB)

Phone/Tablet:

iPhone 8 64GB iPad Mini 4 128GB

Laptops:

Dell XPS 15 9570 i7-8750H + 1050 ti + 20GB ram (16+4) + 1TB EX920 SSD

My old computers:

Athlon x64 + R9600 Pro 256MB Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 3.4ghz + GTX 275 | i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz + GTX 670

Depends on the game, playstyle, and what you're used to.

Even on games that give you a legitimate advantage on a controller (For Honor, GTA V) I use KB/M because I grew up using those peripherals. I never had consoles as a kid.

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, Fractal Define Mini C TG, Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody. C2D P7350, nVidia 9800M, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Mojave. Also my editing laptop (FCP > Adobe Premier)

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 8.0

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, Firewrath9 said:

imo, mouse > controller, as you get much more precison, ditto for WASD, however for switching weapons, reloading, etc, controller is fine.

its your own personal preferance, you don't need to spend 200$ on a keyboard, there are plenty of good 30$ keyboards, and tons of great 30$ mice, also, keyboard and mouse are multipurpose, you wouldn't write an email with a controoler,

47$ for controoler + 15$ for basic mouse + keyboard = 40$ mech keyboard + 20$ mouse.

I dunno, I like the mouse sensitivity, but IMHO, using WASD controls (or even arrow keys) just kinda feels like using a D-pad. A really good D-pad for 2D games and such, but kind of a wonky replacement for an analog stick in 3D.

Also, for me it's like, $3 for controller + $3 for mouse + $3 for keyboard... I gotta stop shopping for PC accessories at thrift stores.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:09 AM, SenpaiKaplan said:

Depends on the game, playstyle, and what you're used to.

Even on games that give you a legitimate advantage on a controller (For Honor, GTA V) I use KB/M because I grew up using those peripherals. I never had consoles as a kid.

*shrug*

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. I will admit, I do use Mouse/Keyboard for Touhou, even though I usually swear by PS1 pads (or similar) for shmups. IDK, just feels more right I guess.

I promise I'll get a mechanical keyboard some day. They're so... clicky!

Hate keyboard and mouse. Love controllers. I wish pc games could show me PlayStation buttons instead of Xbox ones, it's super annoying. I love just straight chilling, and selecting stuff with the controller (on an optimized menu, like 99% of video games) is faster

I had a dream where Linus picked me up. It was wonderful. 

#BringBackLuke