Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delta5ff

Best value for money?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Im wanting to buy a laptop for gaming and I'm trying to decide between two.

 

They both the same in almost every respect. Both have the same 1080p screen and both ROG g703

 

The only differences are

 

One is £2500 and comes with a 1080 and 32gb ram

 

The other is £1500 and comes with a 1070 and 16gb ram.

 

Is it really worth £1000 to step up one GPU level and an extra 16gb ram?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on what you want to play at which resoloution, but I think you should get the 1070 version, because it has a lower tdp which is better for a laptop temperature and battery life wise. 32GB of ram is also kind of overkill for gaming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, SomeGermanGuy said:

It depends on what you want to play at which resoloution, but I think you should get the 1070 version, because it has a lower tdp which is better for a laptop temperature and battery life wise. 32GB of ram is also kind of overkill for gaming.

Resolution will be 1080p as both laptops seem to have the same screen

 

While the extra ram is probably nice it'll be cheep enough to upgrade that myself if it ever became a problem.

 

Games wise I play everything from 10 year old classics to the newest demanding AAA titles.

 

The 1070 seems by far the better option to me as I don't see a 1080 offering enough extra performance to justify the £1000 price increase.

 

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I ordered it

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Delta5ff said:

GL703 will thermal-struggle with a 1070.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NeedALaptop said:

GL703 will thermal-struggle with a 1070.

This. 

 

There really isnt much point in upgrading the gpu if it's just going to throttle.

 

32gb of ram is silly for most people. Unless you are maxing out 16gb right now it's not worth it.

 

Faster ssd is not going to really be noticable in real life, unless you want some cool benchmark numbers not worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Delta5ff said:

Im wanting to buy a laptop for gaming and I'm trying to decide between two

Only limited to these 2 options?

 

Location? Budget? No preference on weight and battery life? Any other requirements?


Laptop recommender and enthusiast

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

 

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Lenovo Legion Y520 - no.16 most viewed review in LTT forum (as of 25/11)

Illegear Selenite Illegear Onyx Commandos Glock 5 Illegear Raven Acer Aspire 5

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
38 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Only limited to these 2 options?

 

Location? Budget? No preference on weight and battery life? Any other requirements?

The main reason I picked these is there on sale. I normally look to Asus and ROG fist as it's the brand I'm most familiar with. My MoBo GPU and monitor are all ROG.

 

The main requirement I have for the laptop I want is at least a 1070,  and the sweet spot for pricing is between £1500-£2000.

 

If you have any recommendations for laptops that fit these parameters on Amazon one overclockers in the UK I'll gladly consider them

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Delta5ff said:

The main reason I picked these is there on sale. I normally look to Asus and ROG fist as it's the brand I'm most familiar with. My MoBo GPU and monitor are all ROG.

 

The main requirement I have for the laptop I want is at least a 1070,  and the sweet spot for pricing is between £1500-£2000.

 

If you have any recommendations for laptops that fit these parameters on Amazon one overclockers in the UK I'll gladly consider them

I heard that GP/GE 63/73 does well with a 1070.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 1:07 AM, Delta5ff said:

The main requirement I have for the laptop I want is at least a 1070,  and the sweet spot for pricing is between £1500-£2000.

so no preference on weight and battery life?


Laptop recommender and enthusiast

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

 

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Lenovo Legion Y520 - no.16 most viewed review in LTT forum (as of 25/11)

Illegear Selenite Illegear Onyx Commandos Glock 5 Illegear Raven Acer Aspire 5

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

so no preference on weight and battery life?

weight, pretty much none at all. Battery life, obviously more is better but I'll probally always be plugged into the wall anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually you can get a decent RTX 2060/ GTX 1070 laptop under 1500

 

CyberpowerPC Tracer RTX-17 Xtreme / PCSpecialist 17.3" Recoil II RTX (TongFang GK7CP0S)

MSI GE63 8RF


Laptop recommender and enthusiast

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

 

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Lenovo Legion Y520 - no.16 most viewed review in LTT forum (as of 25/11)

Illegear Selenite Illegear Onyx Commandos Glock 5 Illegear Raven Acer Aspire 5

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Actually you can get a decent RTX 2060/ GTX 1070 laptop under 1500

 

CyberpowerPC Tracer RTX-17 Xtreme / PCSpecialist 17.3" Recoil II RTX (TongFang GK7CP0S)

MSI GE63 8RF

I've been looking at two MIS laptops, the GT63 Titan 8RF and GP73 Leopard 8RF.  I think I slightly preferer the GT63 but I'm trying to get as much information as I can before I make the purchase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Delta5ff said:

GT63 Titan 8RF and GP73 Leopard 8RF

Also good, just be aware of MSI QC


Laptop recommender and enthusiast

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

How to undervolt CPU and GPU in laptops

 

Laptop Reviews:

Spoiler

Lenovo Legion Y520 - no.16 most viewed review in LTT forum (as of 25/11)

Illegear Selenite Illegear Onyx Commandos Glock 5 Illegear Raven Acer Aspire 5

Specs of my Y530:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB NVMe SSD+Seagate ST1000LM035 1TB 5400RPM HDD (spare)

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Also good, just be aware of MSI QC

I'm now thinking that maybe I should wait a little longer while I save some more money and get a Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 as it seems to have really good thermals and I'm not sure how good the MSI laptops will be

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Delta5ff said:

I'm now thinking that maybe I should wait a little longer while I save some more money and get a Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 as it seems to have really good thermals and I'm not sure how good the MSI laptops will be

The gt series has been pretty solid.

 

Everything lower than that is pretty much junk from msi. Low qc, poor cooling, driver issues galore (I cant remember the last time I've had a windows update or display driver update without having to ddu and reinstall scm. It never goes smoothly.)

 

I would give them the benefit of the doubt if these issues were limited to one model, but i have experienced it on several.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, markr54632 said:

The gt series has been pretty solid.

 

Everything lower than that is pretty much junk from msi. Low qc, poor cooling, driver issues galore (I cant remember the last time I've had a windows update or display driver update without having to ddu and reinstall scm. It never goes smoothly.)

 

I would give them the benefit of the doubt if these issues were limited to one model, but i have experienced it on several.

I might give MSI a miss then. If there bad build quality and have poor software optimisation I'd rather spend a little more on a quality product 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×