Graphics card bricking? I'm confused

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
36 minutes ago, Hiro Hamada said:

The system did boot and the motherboard was on(cpu fan=on, mb light=on, etc=on) but no display output from motherboard.

Plug the display cable in to the graphics card. You should only plug in to the motherboard if you're using the integrated graphics from the CPU.

Now my questions and concerns are ;

1. My card usage shows 99% during gaming. Is that a big problem?

2. At first I thought static could brick the card. How does static occur?

3. Where did the old onboard graphics driver go? It's gone but in laptops I see both intel graphics and nvidia graphics

4. The card fans stop at ideal usage and spins at during gaming. Will this feature good or bad?

5. Before the boot, the motherboard displays tje card information and then boots up with the bios menu. Is that good or bad? If bad how to prevent it?

6. I touched the card with my bare hands while power was on. Will it damage the card?

7. Whats the (t junction) the peak temperature or danger point temperature of 1070Ti?

8. How long is safe to run my card playing games? Can I run it 6 to 8 hrs a day? 

9. During the problem I removed and reinserted cmos battery but nothing seems to be the problem. I also reseted the bios settings to optimized defaults. Should I worry anything about it?

1. That's good. That means it's being used to its full potential.
  2. When an electrical charge builds up on a surface, and then is discharged
  3. No longer needed. Use the Nvidia drivers
  4. Fan only spins when it reaches a certain temperature, you can tweak this in the software for your card or disable it. It's normal
  5. What? It shouldn't be booting in to the BIOS. Make sure the storage drive which has your OS install on it is set as the first device in boot priority
  6. No, but don't. Probably end up sticking a finger in a fan and break the fan
  7. 94°C (according to Nvidia specs)
  8. As long as you want
  9. If you cleared CMOS, that will likely be the cause of issue #5. Enter the BIOS and set the HDD/SSD with your OS install on it as the first option in the boot priority list.

MSI Z370 A Pro

Intel i7 8700K

Corsair H45 CPU Cooler

Corsair Veng 8GB 2400MHz LPX

Corsair TX750M

Seagate 1TB 72000RPM

Galax 1070Ti EX

NZXT Phantom 530 Case

(Please tell me this is a budget gaming build)

Next upgrade should be to add a SSD and a RAM upgrade.

So yesterday I bought the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070Ti and I just opened up the side panel of the case and installed straight the card into it without reading any manual. I was stuck for 3 long hours of what to do? The system did boot and the motherboard was on(cpu fan=on, mb light=on, etc=on) but no display output from motherboard. I thought the card was DOA but something popped up on YouTube and I saw it! 

1. I removed the card completely and powered on the pc

2. It booted up and I disabled the old onboard graphics driver

3. Then installed the 1070Ti and then wala! 

4. I did the rest

3. Where did the old onboard graphics driver go? It's gone but in laptops I see both intel graphics and nvidia graphics

4. The card fans stop at ideal usage and spins at during gaming. Will this feature good or bad?

5. Before the boot, the motherboard displays tje card information and then boots up with the bios menu. Is that good or bad? If bad how to prevent it?

6. I touched the card with my bare hands while power was on. Will it damage the card?

7. Whats the (t junction) the peak temperature or danger point temperature of 1070Ti?

8. How long is safe to run my card playing games? Can I run it 6 to 8 hrs a day? 

9. During the problem I removed and reinserted cmos battery but nothing seems to be the problem. I also reseted the bios settings to optimized defaults. Should I worry anything about it?

Here is my config

MSI Z370 A Pro

Intel i7 8700K

Corsair H45 CPU Cooler

Corsair TX750M

Seagate 1TB 72000RPM

Galax 1070Ti EX

NZXT Phantom 530 Case

100% joke

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

Plug the HDMI into the 1070ti, also 99% gpu usage in-game is normal thats what you want, dont worry about the intel display drivers the only driver you need is for the 1070ti you can find it on the manufacturers website by google searching the 1070ti model number on the box, the fans arent suppose to spin until 60c, dont touch the inside of the PC while its on, run msi after burner and set a temperature limit.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

Dont worry about static unless you have sheep running around the house for some reason.

27 minutes ago, Hiro Hamada said:

-snip-

First two questions. Is your monitor plugged into the gpu and did you install the nvidia driver for the 1070ti?

To answer your other questions,

1. depends on the game, generally no, unless it's a demanding game. Could also be at 99% if you didn't install the nvidia driver

2. static can damage electronics but if the gpu is working its fine, "How does static occur?" use google

3. there's a differences between disabling the on-board gpu and uninstalling the on-board gpu driver, you should have both gpu drivers installed. Having the

on-board gpu drivers installed at the same time as the nvidia drivers are installed will not effect the cards performances   

4. good

5 . not sure what you mean

6. It "can" but it shouldn't

7. again use google

8. as long as your not running super high clocks and voltage, and your temps aren't dangerously high, there is no "time limit" 

9. no

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

The system did boot and the motherboard was on(cpu fan=on, mb light=on, etc=on) but no display output from motherboard.

Plug the display cable in to the graphics card. You should only plug in to the motherboard if you're using the integrated graphics from the CPU.

1. That's good. That means it's being used to its full potential.
  2. When an electrical charge builds up on a surface, and then is discharged
  3. No longer needed. Use the Nvidia drivers
  4. Fan only spins when it reaches a certain temperature, you can tweak this in the software for your card or disable it. It's normal
  5. What? It shouldn't be booting in to the BIOS. Make sure the storage drive which has your OS install on it is set as the first device in boot priority
  6. No, but don't. Probably end up sticking a finger in a fan and break the fan
  7. 94°C (according to Nvidia specs)
  8. As long as you want
  9. If you cleared CMOS, that will likely be the cause of issue #5. Enter the BIOS and set the HDD/SSD with your OS install on it as the first option in the boot priority list.

MSI Z370 A Pro

Intel i7 8700K

Corsair H45 CPU Cooler

Corsair TX750M

Seagate 1TB 72000RPM

Galax 1070Ti EX

NZXT Phantom 530 Case

Next upgrade should be to add a SSD and a RAM upgrade.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450