Is Star Citizen a giant scam?

Rosss
3 hours ago, Rosss said:

Yeah you can't really deny it's been terribly mismanaged. Not only when looking at the roadmaps they promised from the kickstarter, but the absolutely mental amount of funding it received. How could they not come even close to delivering within that amount of funding? It's like quoting someone to do a project, and choosing to deliver a shell or milk the customer out of money. They indeed chose to do both, and it's going to leave a lasting sour taste probably for the remainder of the project. 

Its going to leave more than a sour taste if the project never gets done because it ran out of steam. If there is any sense of justice left in this world, then its only a matter of time before it does. Hopefully gamer's will use more common sense and scrutiny the next time another Chris Roberts type comes along promising them the whole universe. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

22 hours ago, Rosss said:

Yeah you can't really deny it's been terribly mismanaged. Not only when looking at the roadmaps they promised from the kickstarter, but the absolutely mental amount of funding it received. How could they not come even close to delivering within that amount of funding? It's like quoting someone to do a project, and choosing to deliver a shell or milk the customer out of money. They indeed chose to do both, and it's going to leave a lasting sour taste probably for the remainder of the project. 

This is really a one sided view.

The "mental" amount of funding paid/paying for the full build up of 5 studios and development of 2 games.

So it's not that mental if you put it into perspective.

Same for the delivery of the game/ development time.

500 employees seems a lot just like the 8 years development time...but if you put it into perspective again, GTA V took 7 years to PC with more than 1500 ppl working on it, and having all the infrastructure/team/funding from the beginning. RDR2 took 8 years again having everything from the beginning and around 2000 ppl worked on it altogether. 

Meanwhile CIG had to build up everything from zero and they are working on 2 games one of which is a big MMO. And they didn't have 500 devs from the beginning.

So asking a startup to push out a singleplayer and an MMO while building up the whole company on the fly and have fraction of the team (on average over the dev time) in the same timeframe some big established studios spend on single player games is not really fair.

I think the biggest problem with Star Citizen's development is that they keep trying to add new features when the current features aren't even remotely fleshed out or finalized.

I've played Star Citizen for ~25 hours or so and if they had just focused on expanding server capacities, increasing the responsiveness of the controls, refining the UI/quest tracking, fixing the few game-breaking bugs I've found, and creating a substantial friends list/chat client I think the game would be enjoyable enough to the point that people spend more time and money on it than they do now.

There doesn't need to be a ton to do in the game, but what little there is to do needs to work well and be enjoyable. If I could go on a mining run in my epic ship with my friends, chat with them, and not lose everything in my ship and have all quests reset after a game crash, I would spend a lot more time in it.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

3 hours ago, -ism said:

I think the biggest problem with Star Citizen's development is that they keep trying to add new features when the current features aren't even remotely fleshed out or finalized.

Feature list has been pretty much locked down for like a year now. 

Only time they add new features now is when they run into some roadblock on existing features and need to create a solution for a problem they’ve encountered. 

3 hours ago, -ism said:

I've played Star Citizen for ~25 hours or so and if they had just focused on expanding server capacities, increasing the responsiveness of the controls, refining the UI/quest tracking, fixing the few game-breaking bugs I've found, and creating a substantial friends list/chat client I think the game would be enjoyable enough to the point that people spend more time and money on it than they do now.

They are working on basically all of those things. 

3 hours ago, -ism said:

There doesn't need to be a ton to do in the game, but what little there is to do needs to work well and be enjoyable. If I could go on a mining run in my epic ship with my friends, chat with them, and not lose everything in my ship and have all quests reset after a game crash, I would spend a lot more time in it.

These are things they are actively working on. Have a look at the progress tracker/roadmap for details, but bug fixes and stability are priorities in every single new update. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 9 months later...

Oh, I wish I was here for the c00face v. george357 argument.

Looks like it would be so much fun.

I'm glad I look logic and critical thinking in middle school.

Anyway, my thoughts:
I've never heard of Star Citizen before this.

From what I learned from this, sounds like basically every other ship simulator thing - kinda like Everspace, maybe.

If it ever comes out and is at a decent price, I might try it.

elephants

47 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Oh, I wish I was here for the c00face v. george357 argument.

Looks like it would be so much fun.

I'm glad I look logic and critical thinking in middle school.

Anyway, my thoughts:
I've never heard of Star Citizen before this.

From what I learned from this, sounds like basically every other ship simulator thing - kinda like Everspace, maybe.

If it ever comes out and is at a decent price, I might try it.

It's suppose to 'eventually' be F2P but like hard mode F2P