Can I connect the power and data USB wires to different things?

Computernaut

I want to make a phone stand with a built-in charger, I want to have it connect to my computer for file moving etc. but I also would like it to charge the phone when my computer isn't on. So I though I would build a wall adapter into the stand and attach the power wires to the wall charger and the data wires to a cable that would go to the computer. Would this work?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Theoretically yes. I don't believe there is any sense line in the system that requires the detection of 5V power draw from a particular port before it opens data communication.

This is something you could test really quick'n'dirty. Just try it on a computer you don't care very much about first to make sure nothing goes wrong. 5V going into the data lines probably wouldn't be good.

25 minutes ago, James Evens said:

be aware that most hubs are dangerous

What. That's not even remotely true.

Yes. A powered USB hub would be a cheap option to do this without messing with USB wires. Your motherboard may even have USB ports that give power all the time already, check your manual, it would probably be some of the USB 3.0 ports.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

58 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

What. That's not even remotely true.

Yes. A powered USB hub would be a cheap option to do this without messing with USB wires. Your motherboard may even have USB ports that give power all the time already, check your manual, it would probably be some of the USB 3.0 ports.

Except that my motherboard is from ~2009, has no USB 3.0 ports, and is just generally weird.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

3 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

Except that my motherboard is from ~2009, has no USB 3.0 ports, and is just generally weird.

That's probably not happening then. A powered USB hub is the way to go in my mind.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11