Liquid cooling worth the premium?

thedemoncowboy

I got a digital storm being built now. I got the 280MM AIO closed loop, for my i9 and 2080 TI, I AM NOT OVERCLOCKING IT. 

Is it worth it over the AIO? Or not really?

I just plan to play games, and write documents. 

I am a noob too, so I could pretty much just top the cooler off, not more than that.

So far, manger told me they build 20 - 1 (AIO - Liquid Cooled), same with Digital storm and even Origin. 

Just want to make sure I don't regret getting liquid cooled, or would I regret getting it with the maintenance and headache of shipping back?

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

if its closed loop (aka AIO), it requires 0 maintnace, just take off the side panel and dust off your whole pc every once in a while (3-6 months)

Correct, but will I regret it?

I love gaming, I don't have air conditioning in my apartment (Montana), would I regret not getting full liquid cooled for my system, or should I be okay?

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

Although AIOs don't require maintenance like CLCs can, they're often more loud and expensive (though price doesn't seem to be a problem for you) than a nice air cooler like the D15 or the DRP4.

Personally, I'd go air (D15 / DRP4); however, since you're running high-end high-wattage components, an AIO also makes sense for you.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Imbellis said:

Although AIOs don't require maintenance like CLCs can, they're often more loud and expensive (though price doesn't seem to be a problem for you) than a nice air cooler like the D15 or the DRP4.

Personally, I'd go air (D15 / DRP4); however, since you're running high-end high-wattage components, an AIO also makes sense for you.

Im getting it through Digital Storm, so I got the 280mm on my build now AIO. Or I can spend another $500 (which will be a stretch) and get the full open loop cooling. I just am curious If I will need it or won't need it?

OP if you have no ac i would REALLY recommend a super beefy air cooler, the efficiency of AIO's drops exponentially as the ambient temp's increase, what would you say your average ambient is?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Personally, I'm of the mindset that it isn't worth it unless you're just getting it for the aesthetic. 

High end air cooling, like Noctua NH-D15 provide almost the same cooling performances as the highest end AIO coolers out there at a fraction of the cost while still being quiet.

If you want Water Cooling that surpass high end air by a relatively "significant" margin(like 5 to 10 degrees), you'll need a much more expensive custom loops. Is it worth it though? I'd argue that it isn't unless you have a lot of money to spare.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, thedemoncowboy said:

Im getting it through Digital Storm, so I got the 280mm on my build now AIO. Or I can spend another $500 (which will be a stretch) and get the full open loop cooling. I just am curious If I will need it or won't need it?

Nope - a 280mm radiator should be fine for you. I would recommend against going for a custom loop. Generally, the computer assemblers (The correct term escapes me right now) know what they're doing.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

3 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

they're often more loud and expensive than a nice air cooler

They're loud because users are dumb enough to use dynamic "fan curves" on static pressure radiator fans making them go faster or slower depending on the CPU temperature instead of the coolant temperature but hey whatever floats their boat I guess

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

OP if you have no ac i would REALLY recommend a super beefy air cooler, the efficiency of AIO's drops exponentially as the ambient temp's increase, what would you say your average ambient is?

Right now, my office is like 50 degrees, because its winter. 

In dead summer, its probably 70-75 in apartment. 

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Personally, I'm of the mindset that it isn't worth it unless you're just getting it for the aesthetic. 

High end air cooling, like Noctua NH-D15 provide almost the same cooling performances as the highest end AIO coolers out there at a fraction of the cost while still being quiet.

If you want Water Cooling that surpass high end air by a relatively "significant" margin(like 5 to 10 degrees), you'll need a much more expensive custom loops. Is it worth it though? I'd argue that it isn't unless you have a lot of money to spare.

I am getting thru digital storm, I can do their custom loop, or the 280 mm AIO (which they recommended for me).

I've heard 75/25 so far regarding this. 

The pc will be about 4 feet off the ground, almost. Summer, which lasts in montana typically is 3 months of 75-90 degree heat depending. the middle room which my computer is in always seems the coolest. 

But I can keep the 280 MM AIO (Closed loop), or I can opt another $1,000 to have them open liquid cool it. But If we're talking marginal performance to a person that doesn't build computers then I would rather listen to you guys. 

6 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Nope - a 280mm radiator should be fine for you. I would recommend against going for a custom loop. Generally, the computer assemblers (The correct term escapes me right now) know what they're doing.

Okay, thank you for this. . . 

3 minutes ago, thedemoncowboy said:

Right now, my office is like 50 degrees, because its winter. 

In dead summer, its probably 70-75 in apartment. 

actually op that's not that bad, even in the summer. you should be fine with any solution especially if you aren't overclocking. but your ambient temps will rise with a PC trust me

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

1 minute ago, thedemoncowboy said:

I am getting thru digital storm, I can do their custom loop, or the 280 mm AIO (which they recommended for me).

-snip-

But I can keep the 280 MM AIO (Closed loop), or I can opt another $1,000 to have them open liquid cool it. 

If those are your only two choices, then just get the 280MM AIO

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, Emanbaird said:

actually op that's not that bad, even in the summer. you should be fine with any solution especially if you aren't overclocking. but your ambient temps will rise with a PC trust me

I just don't want to get the PC, which is already costing me $5500 and be like shit, well I should of got full liquid cooling. But seems so far the majority of people say with me not overclocking that it should never be an issue. 

Maingear also notified me even with higher temps inside, the solution could also run warm which ultimately would be the same thing just another $1,000 expense

Just now, TetraSky said:

If those are your only two choices, then just get the 280MM AIO

THOSE are the only 2 choices. I can do their liquid cooling on GPU/CPU for about $1,000 extra

or for current build the 280 MM AIO closed loop cooling

OP, i'd just go for the aio unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking, it'd be a waste of money to go with anything more unless you are gonna go for a big OC 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

20 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

OP, i'd just go for the aio unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking, it'd be a waste of money to go with anything more unless you are gonna go for a big OC 

Nope, just stock 2080 and i9 no overclocking

Yeah op go for just some off the shelf aio

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just now, Emanbaird said:

Yeah op go for just some off the shelf aio

done!

just get a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT and you’re done

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

1 hour ago, jtomasrl said:

just get a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT and you’re done

Unfortunately digital storm doesn’t offer that