Making my 1980's Garage Door Smart!

jakkuh_t

After getting IMO ripped off by Chamberlain, I decided to take smart-ifying my garage door into my own hands.

Buy the Garage Door Opener:
On Amazon: https://lmg.gg/8KV9L

Buy the Roost Garage Door Sensor:
On Their Site: https://lmg.gg/8KV9N 

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

image.png.32fef9bd505359265362e4cd1cf6348c.png

same with the Wan show 

happening way too much since last 3 weeks. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

The cringe factor is what makes this so good and bad at the same time.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I have a feeling that soon after a home project this this.. the old garage door openers will fail and then he'll have to install that/those subscription based openers anyway

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Do you really trust that Chinese company's security though? I've seen a lot of dives into these cheap WiFi controlled switches where it turns out the API is just an incrementing serial number so anybody can hit your switches with commands. 

Does the door-open / door-close status (Roost module) work when you are not on your local wi-fi (from work for example)?

6 hours ago, Mitty996 said:

Does the door-open / door-close status (Roost module) work when you are not on your local wi-fi (from work for example)?

Yes. Ewelink is a cloud service for those kind of devices. Sonoff devices uses this cloud, too. You got IFTTT, Google Home and Alexa support.

12 hours ago, jamstruth said:

Do you really trust that Chinese company's security though? I've seen a lot of dives into these cheap WiFi controlled switches where it turns out the API is just an incrementing serial number so anybody can hit your switches with commands. 

This is why I flashed my sonoff devices with tasmota. But you'll lose the cloud functionality. But you can regain it when you use openHAB or something similar.

55 minutes ago, OhNoItSJoe said:

This is why I flashed my sonoff devices with tasmota. But you'll lose the cloud functionality. But you can regain it when you use openHAB or something similar.

This is exactly what I do: I like Sonoff's hardware, but I replace the firmware with Tasmota and control them and query their status over MQTT with OpenHAB, and I can access it all over the Internet as well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

What about nold.io ?

it use Bluetooth to connect

and use cloud and API

Also on iPhone you can open the door when you get in range ( maybe later also on Android ? ) 

But it is a bit more expensive then 30$

and it is more to share acces then to just open your garage xd

but atleast it can make all kind of stuff “smart”

greets from powerchaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

I converted my garage door opener as well, but I used there Meross Smart Garage Door Opener, so I can control it via the app, Google assistant, and can use IFTTT or Stringify to add more features.  The smart opener came with the sensor that tells of it is open or closed.

anyone have a good idea/link to some kind of sensor to check if the door is closed?

I can wire up my own switch/sensor, just need some kind of feedback from it foe me to view remotely?

(roller shutter doors at work)

best I can find are temperature sensors ?

EDIT: I really want wired too, not battery power

2 minutes ago, alanknight1981 said:

anyone have a good idea/link to some kind of sensor to check if the door is closed?

Hall-effect sensor.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Is there a more thorough walkthrough for this sort of thing for the less-than-genius of us who are enthusiastic to do this DIY project? Specifically, wiring guides and shopping guides? Like there are *so* many "inching relays" on Amazon, I don't even know what I'm looking at to compare them.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Hall-effect sensor.

the bit I'm stuck is feeding something back into the network so I can check the status remotly

2 minutes ago, alanknight1981 said:

the bit I'm stuck is feeding something back into the network so I can check the status remotly

So, you're just looking for some readymade thing that's plug-and-go? Then I don't have anything to suggest. I'm more a DIY kind of a girl, I'd just use an ESP8266 or ESP32 with a hall-effect sensor feeding to an OpenHAB-server.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So, you're just looking for some readymade thing that's plug-and-go? Then I don't have anything to suggest. I'm more a DIY kind of a girl, I'd just use an ESP8266 or ESP32 with a hall-effect sensor feeding to an OpenHAB-server.

I want something in the same way I can find wifi temperature sensor, but wifi "is this switch open or closed sensor"?

I don't know if it's just me or my brain isn't working today ?

13 minutes ago, alanknight1981 said:

I can wire up my own switch/sensor, just need some kind of feedback from it foe me to view remotely?

(roller shutter doors at work)

best I can find are temperature sensors ?

EDIT: I really want wired too, not battery power

Do they not discuss this with the Roost Smart Garage Door Sensor in the video?

that's just a level sensor, checks the angle the sensor is at, so won't work with my roller shutters and its battery powered

I can wire switches up to open/close if the door is open/closed... but how do I feed that back into my network?

3 minutes ago, alanknight1981 said:

that's just a level sensor, checks the angle the sensor is at, so won't work with my roller shutters and its battery powered

I can wire switches up to open/close if the door is open/closed... but how do I feed that back into my network?

Ah, my bad. Sorry. I suppose you could go with a cheap security camera mounted on the garage door mechanism and pointed towards the door. It might not provide notifications of open or closed, but you could open the feed to look and see. (Added bonus - slightly more security.)

I already have ip cctv.... problem is the android app (dahua) is pap.... I'll have another play with it

thanks for the ideas everyone ?

Great video.  and something i've been thinking of doing to my garage door for a while now.

But can you configure this thing to NOT log into the cloud (other than adding firewall rules for that device) ?
I can just VPN to my (tomato) router whenever i need to access my network from afar anyway. 

Can someone point me in the direction of the board that he used?  I can't seem to find anything like it on Amazon.

You should do more smart home videos like this,, smart speakers and LED's are the most you've done in the past

You can make something like this for a fraction of the cost with a NodeMCU, relay board, and reed switches

I made one for two garage doors for around $15 total if I remember right (it's been a while)