Build guide recommendations megathread (update!)

20 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

b450m-f pro4 gives me cheap choices

But requires that he wait for AMD to ship the boot-kit to update the BIOS to newest so his motherboard will even POST with that CPU inserted.

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

But requires that he wait for AMD to ship the boot-kit to update the BIOS to newest so his motherboard will even POST with that CPU inserted.

I've seen them shipping with recent enough bios

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I've seen them shipping with recent enough bios

But isn't that kind of a gamble unless you're at the store and see the box has a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on it?  Unless you're confirming that all stock through etailers would be updated enough to work?

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

But isn't that kind of a gamble unless you're at the store and see the box has a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on it?  Unless you're confirming that all stock through etailers would be updated enough to work?

i mean... yeah

but you can also just ask the retailer before you buy it

Hey guys!

I was just wondering if someone could take a look at the list below and comment if this makes sense? :) 

The last time I build a pc was in 1998 so times were a little bit different back then :) 

I live in Europe so the parts might be a little different from US/Canada counterparts. But I based this on pcpartpicker and LTT tutorials and then the local providers here.

I was wondering if those parts are fully compatible with each other and/or are the best option for this setup (gaming). Thank you so much in advance!

CPU                                 Intel i9-9900k   

Cooler:                             Corsair Hydro Series H60 CW-9060036-WW

Motherboard                    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS EXTREME           

Memory                            HyperX Fury Black 32GB (2x16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM)   

Storage                            Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512 GB + Seagate Baracuda 2TB 7200RPM          

Video Card                       ASUS Geforce RTX 2070 8GB DDR6 (already have the card)           

Case                                 be quiet! Silent Base 801              

Power Supply                   Corsair RM1000i CP-9020084-EU

I'd appreciate the help!

Thanks!

around 20 000 SEK (2,000 USD / 2,700 Canadian dollars / 1,850 EUR), country is Sweden/Poland, use is gaming.

But as I mentioned, I aready have the video card (just using it in amplifier for the moment).

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

that can use some changes... budget, country and use?

around 20 000 SEK (2,000 USD / 2,700 Canadian dollars / 1,850 EUR), country is Sweden/Poland, use is gaming.

But as I mentioned, I aready have the video card (just using it in amplifier for the moment).

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Thank you so much but..... Nooooooo, I don't want AMD processor, I am an intel fan :)  and why the GPU since I have already RTX 2070? Also, only 16GB of RAM?

56 minutes ago, Schymi Schymiksson said:

Nooooooo, I don't want AMD processor, I am an intel fan

and I'm a person that recommends the best for the money, a 3700x can go on par with that 9900k, while pulling almost half the current in a lot of tasks

57 minutes ago, Schymi Schymiksson said:

and why the GPU since I have already RTX 2070?

you can do a 2070 as well

just keep navi in mind, a 5700xt falls between a 2070 and 2070 super

57 minutes ago, Schymi Schymiksson said:

Also, only 16GB of RAM?

because you simply don't need more in a lot of cases

22 hours ago, Schymi Schymiksson said:

I don't want AMD processor, I am an intel fan :)

Opinions like this make you the reason why Intel doesn't lower prices even when they're bested by AMD on a CPU stack. 

Why should they when people are blindly loyal to a company that likes to force buying new motherboards and has insane levels of arbitrary product segmentation.

(disclaimer, I'm not saying it's good to be loyal to AMD either, but if you don't pick buying performance, you've picked buying hype, and you get what you pay for).

5 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Why should they when people are blindly loyal to a company that likes to force buying new motherboards and has insane levels of arbitrary product segmentation.

Well let me tell you where does that come from in my case. When I was way more into building my own pcs (because there was no other option really) around the end of the nineties, AMD was always a synonym of a worse and limiting choice.

It was always a little bit like: if you buy an AMD processor, you're stuck with all AMD stuff: motherboard, memory, nothing else fits, and even the processor fits only that one type of motherboard and so on...

The thing is that at that time, there was very little option for upgrading AMD system later on, Intel had always more options to pick from, and a guarantee that more components will be compatible with each other, while AMD was very limited in that regard.

So naturally when you're used to a certain type of config, in this case Intel, it's just easier to stick to it, so for me Intel was the go to system now. And remember that until that Ryzen line up rolled out, Intel was really a better choice, it's just now seems that AMD caught up after more than a decade of trailing behind.

14 minutes ago, Schymi Schymiksson said:

it's just now seems that AMD caught up after more than a decade of trailing behind.

Yup, that's why it's being recommended now, since this isn't the 90's.  The last time AMD was the go-to buy was Athlon x64 and in-between they were budget.  Ryzen 3000 is the smart-buy today and since you asked for the best build that makes sense and is the option for gaming: that's why it's being recommended.  Not because we like telling you not to buy a certain brand.

Linus put it well when he said (in so many words): "I want to point out why it doesn't make sense to be loyal to a certain company.  They're in it to make money, they don't care about being loyal to you, they don't return the feeling, their loyalties are mostly to shareholders.  You shouldn't give your loyalty to them for nothing."

On 8/29/2019 at 8:03 PM, Schymi Schymiksson said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Follow up question. Since I couldn't for some reason find the motherboard suggested in my pcpartpicker, I chose this one: 

Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

In the comments below I got a compatibility warning saying: 

Warning! Some AMD X470 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

What's that about? Does it apply to this motheboard?

55 minutes ago, Schymi Schymiksson said:

Does it apply to this motheboard?

yes, you need a certain revision of the bios

but a lot of them come included with a new enough one these days

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm going with ITX on ryzen, have CPU ram and gpu ready, need MOBO.

Fire away with recommandations.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

G'day,

If you have the time please consider helping me this will be my first build, i stood from afar when my current build was being put together ?

The primary use will be gaming, however some light CAD may need to be done once in a while idk possibly 1 time a month if that. 

I'm currently struggling with a decision, to go with a Ryzen 5 2600 with a rtx 2060 or a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 1660 super. I'm leaning towards the 2600 because Zen 3 is right around the corner and i'm expecting price cuts. 

Budget:                                $1000 ~ $1200 AUD - buying from a retailer MSY - my postcode is 4305

CPU:                                    Ryzen 5 2600 / Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler:                                 Stock Standard Wraith cooler, however i am open to suggestions, AIO or Air cooling.                          

Motherboard:                       MSI B450-A Pro MAX - ATX

Memory:                              G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 

Storage:                               I have a 2TB Segate hdd and a 240GB SSD - HHD for games / file storage and SSD for operating system

Video Card:                          Rtx 2060 / Gtx 1660 Super

Power Supply:                     again open to suggestions i currently have a 500w 80+ bronze Antec PSU, i was considering this: PSU 

Case:                                   Open to suggestions but i am probably going for the Deepcool MATREXX 55

OS:                                       Win 10 - where do i buy cheap keys? ?             

I would really appreciate help, thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm pretty new here. I've followed the LTT channel for a couple of years now and would like some advice when it comes to upgrading/replacing my existing PC.

Currently I have an older PC running an i5 3570k that's really starting to show its age when trying to stream and/or playing some more CPU-intensive games. I'm trying to figure out which parts of my previous build I could migrate over without worries. Here's the build I was looking at building, with the parts that I'd like to carry over below the PCPartPicker list:

Storage               Intel 520 120GB
                            Samsung 750 EVO 250GB
                            SeaGate Barracuda 4TB @ 5400RPM

Graphics            MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G

Peripherals        AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2

Power Supply    Seasonic G Series 650W
Case                   Bitfenix Shinobi

PCPP mentions how the M.2 SSD takes up additional SATA bandwidth, causing some of them to be unavailable. When I swap the motherboard out for an X570 one this no longer seems to be the case which sounds better to me for when I want to add additional storage, but from what I understand that chipset is overkill/overpriced for what I intend to use the PC for.

As for the old PSU and case, I'm not sure how wise it would be to carry those over given how they're about 7 years old by now. I haven't really had any issues with either of them so far.

For the time being I'd like to stick with my GPU with the intent to replace it one or two more generations down the line. Currently I don't see the merit in having ray tracing support whereas getting a 16XX card seems like not too much of an upgrade for the money.

Are there any red lights in this build or am I good to go with this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

7 hours ago, CFG said:

Hi! I'm pretty new here

That's ok, but since that isn't just a quick question about THIS thread, that much info and questions for your needs merits it's own thread.  It'd be a good idea to do your own thread so it doesn't derail this one.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 12:15 AM, CFG said:

Hi! I'm pretty new here. I've followed the LTT channel for a couple of years now and would like some advice when it comes to upgrading/replacing my existing PC.

Currently I have an older PC running an i5 3570k that's really starting to show its age when trying to stream and/or playing some more CPU-intensive games. I'm trying to figure out which parts of my previous build I could migrate over without worries. Here's the build I was looking at building, with the parts that I'd like to carry over below the PCPartPicker list:

Storage               Intel 520 120GB
                            Samsung 750 EVO 250GB
                            SeaGate Barracuda 4TB @ 5400RPM

Graphics            MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G

Peripherals        AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2

Power Supply    Seasonic G Series 650W
Case                   Bitfenix Shinobi

PCPP mentions how the M.2 SSD takes up additional SATA bandwidth, causing some of them to be unavailable. When I swap the motherboard out for an X570 one this no longer seems to be the case which sounds better to me for when I want to add additional storage, but from what I understand that chipset is overkill/overpriced for what I intend to use the PC for.

As for the old PSU and case, I'm not sure how wise it would be to carry those over given how they're about 7 years old by now. I haven't really had any issues with either of them so far.

For the time being I'd like to stick with my GPU with the intent to replace it one or two more generations down the line. Currently I don't see the merit in having ray tracing support whereas getting a 16XX card seems like not too much of an upgrade for the money.

Are there any red lights in this build or am I good to go with this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

if you have priority about intensive cpu game, i5 9600k(oc @5Ghz) /i7 9700k(future) you should go.

ryzen 3700x little not good

On 2/16/2020 at 1:53 PM, m777y said:

if you have priority about intensive cpu game, i5 9600k(oc @5Ghz) /i7 9700k(future) you should go.

ryzen 3700x little not good

Sorry but that is just nonsense.