Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JLMazzella

Laptop guy deciding between external GPU and new PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

Ok guys I need help,

I have an ASUS ROG gaming laptop from about 4 years ago. This laptop is always hooked up to my 24” monitor or a 43 inch TV that I use for Sim racing. This laptop does everything I need it to do for the games I play and I am very happy with it. Here are the specs:

System Model: G752VL

Intel I7-6700 HQ

12 GB of Ram

Evo 970 Pro SSD 512G

Thunderbolt 3 port (with display)

+++GeForce GTX 965M+++

Now again I am able to play the games I like, Diablo 3,Over-watch and Heroes of the storm, and most importantly Iracing at a consistent 75 FPS on a 43 inch TV 1080p.

So the problem is I want to upgrade to VR for Iracing, So I would like the maximum possible resolution and frame-rate for that particular game. I love my system, and it does everything I need it to do, I just want to be able to VR off of it which I know isn’t going to happen off that 965M.  Do I spend 1500$ on trying to get a 2060 or 1080ish series desktop or get an External GPU for my laptop. This is a value question here, If I can get away with spending less on an external enclosure and not having 2 systems (my laptop will just collect dust at the house if I have a better system obviously rendering my laptop obsolete. I do travel A LOT for work so my laptop will still go with me then. 

Thanks guys lemme know what to do!!

I would go for the desktop personally, you don't need to spend $1500 on an 2060 system, grab a Ryzen 5 2600 and you can do the whole thing under $1k probably. EGPUs still aren't perfect and you won't be getting everything your GPU is capable of if you go that route.

2 minutes ago, snowfox99 said:

I would go for the desktop personally, you don't need to spend $1500 on an 2060 system, grab a Ryzen 5 2600 and you can do the whole thing under $1k probably. EGPUs still aren't perfect and you won't be getting everything your GPU is capable of if you go that route.

Thank you for response! Also forgot to add I still need to buy the Oculus Rift as well. So 1K for a system and another couple hundred for the rift just to VR, Or external GPU+Rift.

Please more people add there 2 sense im really at a loss!

Just now, JLMazzella said:

Thank you for response! Also forgot to add I still need to buy the Oculus Rift as well. So 1K for a system and another couple hundred for the rift just to VR, Or external GPU+Rift.

Please more people add there 2 sense im really at a loss!

Keep in mind an eGPU enclosure will run you probably around $300 + the cost of the card, so in the case of an RTX 2060 you're looking at a total of $650 for the iGPU setup vs $1000 or so for a full second PC.

1 hour ago, snowfox99 said:

That is actually a very good looking pc right there. Some of those things I already have from an older system, such as PSU and harddrives.

4 hours ago, JLMazzella said:

That is actually a very good looking pc right there. Some of those things I already have from an older system, such as PSU and harddrives.

So ive been clicking around this part picker for a couple hours now and ive messed it all up lol. If u dropped the SSD (I have a 960 pro already) and had a budget of 1,000.00 what would you change? Sorry if im making ya work but your way more better than I am. I was thinking a better ram solution and....?  

If you respond to this thanks alot youve been a big help.

6 hours ago, snowfox99 said:

So ive been clicking around this part picker for a couple hours now and ive messed it all up lol. If u dropped the SSD (I have a 960 pro already) and had a budget of 1,000.00 what would you change? Sorry if im making ya work but your way more better than I am. I was thinking a better ram solution and....?  

On 2/16/2019 at 5:27 PM, JLMazzella said:

Honestly, 16GB is plenty unless you're doing serious video editing/3d work/other content creation tasks, and 3000mhz should be sufficient... With a higher budget I'd maybe add in an R7 2700 to give you a bit of a CPU performance boost, but either way I'd definitely grab an aftermarket cooler so that you can do a bit of overclocking.