Where is Ivan and Luke

raden.fauzan
38 minutes ago, This_guy1998 said:

YOU GUY GET OFF FOR HOLIDAYS???

I say that because it still blows my mind you guys are required to be off on standard holidays. Here in the US the only people that are get off for standard holidays are government employees, banks (I guess because technically the FDIC is closed on holidays), and usually people that work education (if the school or such is closed). The private sector isn't required to be off (this varies by state). Working retail for the last 2.5 years has ruined holidays for me (I may be off of school, but then that typically means I am working) (my employer is only closed on Christmas).

It also blows my mind that maturity leave is so long up there too.

In Canada, for a Statutory (Mandatory) Holiday, you either:

1. Get the day off, or

2. Get paid 1.5x your normal wage

Each province has their own set of Statutory Holidays - but they pretty much all have the same 6-8 base holidays, with minor variations here and there. For example, In BC, Remembrance Day is a Statutory Holiday. Whereas where I live, in Ontario, it's a non-statutory holiday. Very few (if any) places are closed, and no one gets bonus pay.

On the flip side, Ontario is the only province that observes Boxing Day as a Statutory Holiday.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Uh... tight completion deadlines don't have to be accompanied by tight release timelines. You can have one without the other.

You're assuming that an editor doesn't have 5+ other videos to work on during any 14-day span, which would be a false assumption.

And you're also assuming zero variance in workflow. We release videos within 24-48 hours of shooting at events like CES. We often receive products on a Tuesday which have an embargo date of Friday of that same week.

I'd urge you to think a bit more critically before making sweeping judgments on how "easy" someone else's job is. I assure you that everyone here works long hours and wouldn't call their job "easy."

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

For sure. This isn't really direct to you, but hey here's a general reply for anyone interested:

To give you an idea of what makes up our editors' days, here's a very quick & dirty breakdown.

We currently have 4 full-time editors on staff. So 160 editing manhours per week.

We publish 6-7 LTT videos, 3 Tech Quickies, and 3 TechLinked videos per week, so 12-13 videos.

On top of that, we create videos for brands that don't ever see the light of day on LMG-owned channels, and sometimes don't see the light of day outside of closed platforms (for internal training & education purposes). Let's say we do 2 of those per week - tough to give an exact number, but 2 is a pretty safe average.

So at the very simplest level, if all videos are considered the same and require the same amount of time spent on editing, we have 10-12 hours to spend on each video.

So 10-12 hours to spend on each video, that's pretty good... but that has to include rendering, exporting (2 versions - 1 for Floatplane without sponsors, and 1 for YouTube with sponsors), and uploading to our publishing platforms - this time varies video by video, but can easily take 2-3 hours for an average video.

This also doesn't consider QC & review. All of our videos are reviewed by the writer, who can request changes or fixes to an edit, and a manager (typically myself or Linus) who can also request changes or fixes to an edit after the writer review changes have been implemented. The writer review is there to essentially ensure that the intent of the video is being translated in the final version, there are no blatant errors (eg. the wrong name is used for a product, a graph is being used at the wrong time, etc.), and that all necessary b-roll shots have been added to fully communicate our message. The manager review is mainly in place for branding, "channel fit," and policy implementations (eg. are we listing these specs in a way that makes sense based on the way that we list specs across the rest of our videos, are all swearwords censored, are we using any copyrighted materials that could cause us to get flagged on YouTube, if so are we using them in a way that aligns with the Fair Use designation, etc.).

And once those 2 reviews are done and the finished version is exported, it's reviewed a THIRD time by an edit supervisor to ensure that no technical mistakes were made, and no software bugs impacted the final export (eg. the dreaded red "file not found" Adobe screen).

All of this can easily take 1-2 hours in total for an average 10-15 minute video.

And on top of all of that, we observe all standard holidays in BC (10 workdays per year, or 320 manhours per year if we're looking solely at the effect to the editing workflow), and each editor is entitled to 2 weeks of paid vacation per year as defined by law in BC (10 workdays per editor per year, or another 320 manhours per year).

So yeah... if it ever seems, at a glance, that we don't do that much work, or that the amount of people we have working here doesn't make sense... just know that there are a lot of behind-the-scenes factors that you may not be considering that make a massive difference at the end of the day :)

Right, and I also never said they only have one, I said it is doubtful they would in brackets, I know for a fact a editor at LMG would have multiple projects going on with tight deadlines. However compared to others out there the jobs they do are easy. My point is the time per minute of rendered video that gets posted is a lot lower than what some fan based or other productions have and in compared to timelines a lot looser. Equally I only stated for editors not what happens after for QA if QA issues arise I would expect that to be included in their total time working on said video, so yes I would expect each video to be done before the 2 weeks is up.

You also assume a lot about me it seems and that I know nothing about video editing, which is false. I understand a lot of QA goes into your videos and I hate issues that adobe spits out after you finish editing which I've seen and you could spend hours just trying to fix them because when one is fixed another might happen at no fault of anyone. My point to the person I quoted is yes it's hard work but it's far from what I would classify as absurd deadlines. One of your videos should be able to be edited in a day depending on complexity of the shoot and what's required which is within your 10-12 hours.

I also don't classify techlinked as much of a issue for editors as the style is meant to be a hack and slash style video which shouldn't take more than a 2 hours to edit. Equally I would assume you have more than just 4 editors on site, maybe not full time or their full time job but someone who can easily jump in to take over if/when needed therefor holidays and vacation time is a moot point, because then someone can equally say well this editor called in sick or that editor got into a accident on the way to work and will be out for a week, etc. So assuming 3 guaranteed full time editors for 40 hours a week that gives each editor 9 hours per video per week this includes re-edits everything, the second you throw a 4th editor into the mix it increases to 12 hours for editors alone, and yes I know you could have 2 extra videos a week like what linus said in his live stream and as you mentioned. So lets assume you do 20 a week total that still gives each editor a average of (based on 48 weeks of work) 7 hours and 15 minutes per video. Because LMG is organized and because editors typically only do editing one work day per video is far from hard work, it's not easy but it's not ridiculous, and remember that is a average not what really goes on, but that's assuming your editors do nothing for a whole month as well whether it be 1 day here or there or all in one shot and at 20 videos per week at 4 editors. Some videos like TL will take less time where as some videos like the IBM keyboard video would take forever the average editing time of a video should never exceed that 7 hours and that's including errors and issues.

Simply put your editors have easy jobs compared to what could be required of them for their time, personally I would never ask more of them as your quality will suffer as how I did the math a 7 hour timeline is perfect for editing and issues for the editing style, time and layout for LMG videos you could push it down to 4 hours maybe however I would expect to see errors to become more and more frequent. My point was for editing alone not what others after the editors have to do, if the editor has to view and fix the video before handing it off to whoever I would expect that to be included in the 7 hours, remember the 7 hours does not have to be consecutive and can be collective for each video. So the initial editing can only take 3 hours but tweaks and errors could take up to 4 hours on the editors part, what happens out of the editors time is not the point of my post as it is not their job, their job is to follow what is given nothing more nothing less correct? They don't have to worry about branding or errors on the video side where Linus did a oops and they didn't know about it(if they did I know there would be a procedure for that in place I would expect), their job is to edit a video following the guidelines outlined for that video by whoever it is who does that job whether it be you the writer or your neighbors pet dog, their job is to edit and fix errors based on those guidelines if any come up which I'm sure each video has usually one. 

45 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

In Canada, for a Statutory (Mandatory) Holiday, you either:

1. Get the day off, or

2. Get paid 1.5x your normal wage

Each province has their own set of Statutory Holidays - but they pretty much all have the same 6-8 base holidays, with minor variations here and there. For example, In BC, Remembrance Day is a Statutory Holiday. Whereas where I live, in Ontario, it's a non-statutory holiday. Very few (if any) places are closed, and no one gets bonus pay.

On the flip side, Ontario is the only province that observes Boxing Day as a Statutory Holiday.

I guess the US is about that money and time then. Some employers still do holiday pay but that is getting less and leas common here.

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

12 hours ago, This_guy1998 said:

I guess the US is about that money and time then. Some employers still do holiday pay but that is getting less and leas common here.

Here, employers have no choice. You want to stay open on a Holiday? Cool. Pay your employees time-and-a-half. Outside of retail/restaurants, most businesses will close on stat holidays in Canada.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Here, employers have no choice. You want to stay open on a Holiday? Cool. Pay your employees time-and-a-half. Outside of retail/restaurants, most businesses will close on stat holidays in Canada.

My state (veries by state but Alot of the 50 states have the same laws) basically says it's up to the employer and gives "suggestions." My state is also "at-will" meaning they can fire you anytime for any reason (no probation period). The only way around the "at-will" is have a union (which is frowned at by most employers now, I personally have mixed feelings on them myself).

Even other benefits/health insurance are kinda whatever too.

I think it's neat hearing about other countries laws you don't normally hear about. I'm kinda jealous of y'all now.

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

4 hours ago, comander said:

-snip-

My point was that unlike up there in Canada, US companies aren't required/pressured to do things like what happens up there. I know about finding a company that treats you well and such.

My college has career services for free that helps students/alumni with jobs, plus I know people that have given me/offered me advise for jobs.

Personal Rig:

Linux/test Box:

13" Macbook Air M1:

Home Theater Setup

Other Devices I use:

17 hours ago, comander said:

-snip-

Can you just tell me what you do?

Jeez man, I am a teacher trying to get outta the career, as it wasn't even my long term plan as it was, and I feel like I would trade my summer vacations for job 2 or 3 of yours. Lol.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

• 5 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, Egg-Roll said:

Tight? I think the tightest video I've seen is 3 weeks after filming, so maybe 2 weeks with float plane. LTT got serious gripe over posting a very outdated video about cryptocurrencies. Tight would be 1 week or less from the day of shooting and keep high production values.

This video was released on the 24th of march the computer displays March 3rd which means it took 21 days to hit youtube or 14 to hit FP. Now assuming shooting took a whole day which I really doubt (but loading all data on to the work server likely would have cause the delay) which makes it 13 days till release. This means assuming the overseer of editing has 1 day to crawl threw the video and the uploader has 1 day to do so and ensure everything is ok makes it so the editor has 11 days to edit, less weekends, so the editor has till the 15th to complete their job. This means if the editor has that one video for that whole time to edit (which is doubtful), this means they have 8 days to edit a video or about 64 hours of time to do so or about 5 hours per minute of video on FP/YT. I can tell you right now the first 3-12 hours will be watching the raw video files for the best parts to start and end edits following notes done when recorded. I would say being the editor at LTT is a fairly easy job if and only if you know what you are doing as their demands are nothing like this:

(Watch the video that dance is for, you should understand)

Is it hard work? Yes, but the timelines per editor are probably very loose as in if you are a day late you won't get fired because the company lost all ad revenue and the sponsor backed out for that one video, tho obvious a actual sponsor spot video (like the honor phones) would have weeks in prep with the best editors put onto the project or with plenty of time (likely a month).

They push out like 9 Videos a week tho....