Discussion on Mobile Emergency Alert, People's Reactions, & The Hypocrisy

kaddle

This thread is for the purpose of discussing an emergency alert i received on my phone a couple of nights ago. maybe some of you are familiar with the situation. it's been on my chest as i've been getting exceedingly curious about the alert itself (in the context of why the alert was sent in the first place) as well as people's reaction to the alert and people's reactions to some people's reactions to the alert.

This situation occurred a couple of nights ago when the alert was first sent via mobile text. i was sleeping and my phone was on silent so i did not see anything about it until i woke up in the morning. first some background on the emergency alert system. the first alert i received was a test alert was on november 28th which is not too long after i got my new phone, and it absolutely scared the shit out of me when the ringer for the alert rang through my earphones. i forgot exactly what it sounds like though. apparently these alerts are supposed to be province wide (i live in ontario). whomever is interested can check the website details for their selves, but apparently the point of these alerts is supposed to be for public awareness, spreading info on potentially life threatening or saving emergencies for safety purposes.

so the alert that was sent to me on the 14th was regarding a police investigation into a kidnapping, and seems to have been sent by the police. the alert sent out detailed information on the suspect and the victim, including their last known location and possible vehicle. the alert was actually sent twice within the same minute. when the victim was located they sent out another alert notifying this. this is all fine obviously. i assumed that this is the way the emergency alert system was supposed to be used from the beginning. my confusion with this alert is that i've seen a lot of news articles on multiple kidnappings and other situations around the same severity or worse ever since i received the first test alert (with similar or more details available on the situation), but none of those situations have been sent through the emergency alert system. why is only this situation being sent as an alert? i don't think i would take such an inconsistent system seriously. if i am victimized one day will my life not be important enough for an alert to be sent out to help me? who decides whose lives are important enough to send out an alert seeking to help them? instead of being hypocritical, there should be alerts for every issue of victimization that occurs in the province (provided that there are details for people to be aware of), or no alerts of this nature at all.

after i got online i saw articles regarding the situation. the victim was found dead. now, this is the other source of my confusion on this situation. everyone seems to be making a big deal of the situation in some way or another:

• first there are people whining over the victim being dead. now i understand that the situation is very unfortunate, but i think most of these people are being hypocritical or virtue signaling. i might be a bit biased when i criticize these people because i don't have any tolerance for liars, hypocrites, or virtue signalers.
  • then there are people whining about being bothered by the alert, when this is supposed to be the main purpose of the alert. i don't know if there is a way to deactivate these alerts, but simply having a compatible phone is essentially when they signed up for this. i don't know if they weren't briefed on it when they were getting the phone/service or whatever, but still.
  • then there are people complaining about the people who are complaining about the alert. and this is mostly people from the first group. calling them monsters or whatever.

again, i heard the alert alarm for a test alert on november 28th. that shit almost made me jump like a cat spotting a zucchini. i can't remember how it sounds but it might be a bit accurate to imagine an unexpected air horn blasting in your face. from what i can tell, a lot of the people from the third group are just made that the alarm scared them while at the same time waking them up. i was first aware of this by posts on my facebook page, but i found an article that allows commenting and the comments show a great example if anyone is interested you can check in the link below.

https://nationalpost.com/news/11-year-old-ontario-girl-subject-of-amber-alert-found-dead-police-say

i still think that most of the people in the first and third groups are virtue signaling hypocrites, unless they live in a perpetual state of sorrow and grief at the millions of people who are horribly victimized daily. acknowledging that the situation is unfortunate is fine, but there are people using this situation as a way to get attention (no, this thread isn't to get attention. just to get my thoughts on this situation off of my chest, and maybe have a discussion about it). they also try to make it an even bigger deal because the victim was an 11 year old girl. why? the value of a human life never changes from person to person regardless of age, gender, or anything that person has done or will do throughout their life. anyone who views a certain group of people as having more important lives than another group is a hypocrite, whether they know it or not.

i guess the people who have authority to send out these emergency alerts are hypocrites too for not sending out alerts every time a similar situation occurs within the province. the law and the emergency alert system exists to protect everyone equally and should be used as such. anything less is hypocritical. otherwise the alerts should not be used in this way at all, ever.

it's stupid that people started calling the police just to complain that alert woke them up lol.

for the sake of the discussion, does anyone have alerts like these in other countries or provinces? what do you think of this situation and the hypocrisy?

I got the alert but because I'm not retarded I put my phone on DND when I go to sleep. Everyone complaining about the alert is not only a dipshit because they found the girl because of the amber alert, but also stupid because they leave their ringer on when they sleep.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I got the alert but because I'm not retarded I put my phone on DND when I go to sleep. Everyone complaining about the alert is not only a dipshit because they found the girl because of the amber alert, but also stupid because they leave their ringer on when they sleep.

Well there are people like me who, have to leave our ringers on because I can get called into work for an emergency. Same thing with my last job, I was a key holder and was 3rd or 4th in line to respond to the alarms going off. But I don't have a smartphone so I don't get these alerts. I'm fine with that tbh. I know I disabled it on my gram's smartphone, so it is possible to turn off entirely. 

But to the OP, I'm not quite sure what there is to discuss here (I'm tired so it's possible I'm missing something). People always complain when these alerts go out, it always disturbs someone, scares someone, etc. Now I don't know about Canada, but at least here in the US, most of the time those alerts don't sound unless it's really really bad. Sounds like they threw an alert out because the guy was armed with intent to kill. I don't recall amber alerts going out unless the same thing, where the suspect is armed with intent to harm/kill. It tells people to NOT engage, but to simply get to safety and call the police. That perhaps is the reason you get "inconsistent" alerts like that. The alert system probably is there for when a war happens, people can be notified of imminent danger with more detail, rather than in the old days where you just had an air raid siren sound (granted, people were taught to get into cover, but at least with the alert system today you can know when it's safe). 

I'm not a fan of government programs sending mass communication to private phones with no choice.  Ever.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 hours ago, kaddle said:

but simply having a compatible phone is essentially when they signed up for this. i don't know if they weren't briefed on it when they were getting the phone/service or whatever, but still.

Wrong. You must sign a contract allowing carriers to forcibly forward these messages. Unless it has changed VERY recently, carrier ToS and EULAs do not cover this, meaning that we didn't agree to this.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't recall amber alerts going out unless the same thing, where the suspect is armed with intent to harm/kill.

Amber alerts are basically anything that would be on the back of a milk carton 20 years ago. That means if someone went missing 24 hours ago, on the opposite end of your state, with NO indication that there is reason to consider them heading your way, you can still get an amber alert.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Amber alerts are basically anything that would be on the back of a milk carton 20 years ago. That means if someone went missing 24 hours ago, on the opposite end of your state, with NO indication that there is reason to consider them heading your way, you can still get an amber alert.

Interesting. I wonder if amber alerts work differently by state? My dad keeps his alert stuff turned on and never gets anything unless the person is said to be in danger of harm/death. That or there's so many happening, they can't keep up.