PSU cracking noise

WereCat

Hi, I was just browsin LTT right now and suddenly my PSU started making cracking noise like static. It was not very loud but it was audible. I quickly opened up OCCT to check voltages but everything seemed fine. I turned off PC turned switch off then unplugged cable from PSU for a while, popped it back on and turned on PC and noise is not there anymore.

I have no idea what it was, should I be worried or is it possible that power cable got somehow loose so it caused that cracking?

I would take the psu out and run some tests with some old shitty components.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

something might be stuck to the fan

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I would take the psu out and run some tests with some old shitty components.

I have none and I dont know about anyone who got some.

something might be stuck to the fan

That may be possibility. Because the first thing I checked was exhaust fan on the back, it really reminded sleeved cable hiting fan blades.

EDIT: sorry i messed up edit.. it resulted in two posts :/

That may be possibility. Because the first thing I checked was exhaust fan on the back, it really reminded sleeved cable hiting fan blades.

EDIT: sorry i messed up edit.. it resulted in two posts :/

It could be just the quality of the PSU. What brand is the PSU, because some brands are more reliable than others.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It could be just the quality of the PSU. What brand is the PSU, because some brands are more reliable than others.

Super Flower Golden Green 550W 80+ Gold it is quality wise compared to Seasonic. All capacitators are japanse rated for 105 degrees. So I would say its really good. (Not common in US though).

Super Flower Golden Green 550W 80+ Gold it is quality wise compared to Seasonic. All capacitators are japanse rated for 105 degrees. So I would say its really good. (Not common in US though).

I say, if it makes weird noises, you should RMA it if it continues to make noises like that.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I say, if it makes weird noises, you should RMA it if it continues to make noises like that.

Yes, I did some diagnostics with few programs and everything looks fine so far. I hope that it was not serious problem because I just got PC back from RMA my MoBo after over month...

(MoBo was not damaged because of PSU but I messed too much with BIOS over Windows :/)

your psu might be overheating. put your nose to the back of the psu and take a sniff. if you smell burned electircal. then you need to replace it. i speak from experiance. i had a cheap off brand nearly catch fire on me. it started with cracking noises then a smell then my computer wouldnt boot.