LG monitors = no OLED . Samsung monitors = QLED ?

Turtle Rig

Ok I have done my research on OLED vs QLED.  One of the things I learned is QLED goes up to 2000 nits … while OLED gives 1000 nits of brightness.  Also OLED is prone to bleeding.  I understand QLED is as filter and OLED is actual physical new tech from LED LCD tv's.

Here is where I am stumped.  Why doesn't LG sell OLED monitors but yet Samsung has QLED monitors.  What is holding LG back from selling OLED monitors ?  Also I heard for gaming QLED pownz, How about if you want the best of both worlds ?  QLED ?  BTW I saw a QLED TV at Best Buy running demos of some games and showing off Battlefield 5 with HDR and the Q pure color and QLED and let me tell you it looked wicked sick and amazing.  I have yet to understand the real difference between TV's and monitors.  How come monitors cant have motion rate or smooth motion or whatever the company calls it where they make the 60hz tv feel like a 120hz or 240hz uses the motion technology.  No 4k TV right now has 120hz they are all 60hz with the motion tech to make it look like a 120hz or 240hz.  Also why the heck do monitors cost a arm and leg while TV's are so much lower in price and offer more.  Thanks for reading all this, some insight would be great.  :)

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Isn't LG famous for their OLED? I remember back when the LG g5 came out Linus said that "LG has been blowing the OLED drum for years now"

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

OLED = OLED

QLED = LCD

Yes, Samsung made 1 OLED TV and stopped because of the bleeding issue.  Also QLED delivers 2000nits of brightness while the OLED is 1000nits …  Also the blacks and light colors are more vibrant.  To my initial OP,  Im just wondering why LG makes all these monitors but none are OLED.  While Samsung gives you their TV technology QLED in a couple monitors they sell.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

LG sells high quality LCD. They just don't make the marketing bs calling them similar to OLED.

The problem with OLED is that they are less stable then LCD so you can not make them bright and long life.

Good info you rock James!

9 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes, Samsung made 1 OLED TV and stopped because of the bleeding issue.  Also QLED delivers 2000nits of brightness while the OLED is 1000nits …  Also the blacks and light colors are more vibrant.  To my initial OP,  Im just wondering why LG makes all these monitors but none are OLED.  While Samsung gives you their TV technology QLED in a couple monitors they sell.

QLED is just an LCD display with a special technique to make the colors better, but OLED is a completely different panel technology.

But the main problem with OLED monitors is that things, that are on screen for a long time (like HUDs) burn in, which means that you will always see a shadow of what's been burned in.

44 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Also OLED is prone to bleeding. 

What do you mean by that?

OLED can't have backlight bleeding because there is no backlight.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

In OLED panels each organic cell emits the light by itself ... so think of it as the higher the brightness, the faster that cell will degrade with time... they'll wear out.

OLED panels also have a problem with burn-in, the same way plasma tvs had ... if you have a Windows with a taskbar, shouldn't be surprised to see burn in after a few months or a year, depending on how much you use it.

QLED are LED backlit LCD panels, with some added stuff to the backlight that increases the color spectrum, making it possible to reproduce more colors with higher accuracy.

You can get higher brightness because you can just simply use more powerful leds on the back panel, and you can divide the backlight in smaller areas which you can overdrive the leds if needed or reduce the brightness to save power and so on...

Oh yeah yeah yeah, I remember now

It's a difference in what companies think is better for the consumer.

OLED in TV and monitors especially is risky because you can get burn in - that's when something that's been on display for a while basically gets stuck there. For example, Yvonne watches videos on her OLED screen not in fullscreen, so now Linus has a Windows logo etched permanently on his TV. 

LCD, while not as pretty, doesn't have that risk. I tend to agree with LG on this. Except for smartphones where the battery saving and features enabled by oled are significant enough

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

8 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Sorry my bad, I meant burn in not bleeding.

9 hours ago, James Evens said:

LG sells high quality LCD. They just don't make the marketing bs calling them similar to OLED.

The problem with OLED is that they are less stable then LCD so you can not make them bright and long life.

Yes I heard LG says their new TVs have a life of 100 thousand hours.  But what does that mean, no burn in ?  From my research the answer is NO!  You will get burn in and eventually the TV will break down once its past warranty.  LG OLED is simply put on stable,  they keep enhancing it every year but still the same issues.  QLED has no issues or burn in or breaking down.  Samsung sh*T will run for 20 years if you wanted it to.

8 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes I heard LG says their new TVs have a life of 100 thousand hours.  But what does that mean, no burn in ?  From my research the answer is NO!  You will get burn in and eventually the TV will break down once its past warranty.  LG OLED is simply put on stable,  they keep enhancing it every year but still the same issues.  QLED has no issues or burn in or breaking down.  Samsung sh*T will run for 20 years if you wanted it to.

That 100k hours is most likely a MTBF value, it's a "special" technical term.

In a super simplified way, they're saying that the average time between failures is that value... if you buy 100 TVs, they're saying you may see one fail or experience a problem in 100k / 100 tvs = 1k hours or 41 days of use. If you have 1000 tvs, then one may fail every 100 hours of use.. .and so on.

QLED has no issues or burn in or breaking down

That's not quite correct.  The problem with LEDs is they produce heat, and they degrade with excessive heat, and they can die.

Manufacturers often abuse the LEDs and make them work at their highest parameters, so they often die. Also manufacturers often set the default brightness to 100% so that TVs would look nice on shelves and sell product.. but it's kinda bad for the lifetime of the TV to have the brightness higher than around 80-90% in most TVs.

A lot of cheap TVs will have backlight problems within 1-2 years if you keep the light at near 100%.. even if the maker says 20 years or whatever number.