Cherry Browns vs Reds for Typing

Maximusfoximus

Red or Brown for typing?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you type better with?

• Red
    • Brown

I currently have a corsair k95 rgb platinum, but i do not like the size of it and it makes it hard for me to do school work. I am currently looking into getting a tkl keyboard, the one i am leaning towards is the CM mk730 tkl. My k95 has browns and I love them, but I find that there is more diversity among keyboards in the Cherry red category. I primarily use my computer for school work and typing essays and I like the feel of a mechanical keyboard; for all those who have used cherry reds or browns please tell me which one you think is better for typing since I have never used reds and they have the same actuation force as browns.  

4 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

I currently have a corsair k95 rgb platinum, but i do not like the size of it and it makes it hard for me to do school work. I am currently looking into getting a tkl keyboard, the one i am leaning towards is the CM mk730 tkl. My k95 has browns and I love them, but I find that there is more diversity among keyboards in the Cherry red category. I primarily use my computer for school work and typing essays and I like the feel of a mechanical keyboard; for all those who have used cherry reds or browns please tell me which one you think is better for typing since I have never used reds and they have the same actuation force as browns.  

If you want a combination of comfort plus that type writer feel the Red will do fine.  The brown would be fine as well.  Is there a store you can go to like Fry's or best buy to use it so you know what your getting yourself into ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

4 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

If you want a combination of comfort plus that type writer feel the Red will do fine.  The brown would be fine as well.  Is there a store you can go to like Fry's or best buy to use it so you know what your getting yourself into ?

Yeah, I have felt reds before but I can't judge how fast I can type at the store because they are just plugged into a USB outlet and not into a computer. I was just wondering if anyone who has used either/or had any experience onto which one was better wpm wise.

You won't find a noticeable difference between the two when it comes to typing speed. The only difference between reds and browns are that browns have a small tactile bump. If you prefer the tactile bump you'll prefer typing on browns. I type just as fast on Cherry blues, browns, reds, IBM beam springs, and even good scissor switches, I just prefer the feel of some over others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

It's all personal preference!!

Because of the lack of a bump, reds are regarded as less of a typing and more for gaming, and I tend to agree.

Reds feel boring to me, but moreover, if you type for a while on browns you learn to stop after the bump and not smash the keys down all the way. I think that would be hard to do on reds.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Imo I would say neither although it all comes down to personal preference, cherry switches are a bit scratchy feeling, and mx browns are often discouraged in keyboard communities due to their minute and unsharp tactility. 

I prefer browns to reds. I'm using reds on a Corsair k65 lux after using blues for 5+ years and I honestly am having issues getting used to typing on it due to the lack of feedback. I honestly type better on even a cheap logitech membrane keyboard because its more tactile 

I like the small tactical bump on my brown's.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB