Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjji

Best headphones for Music and Gaming

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone!

 

I've been using Astro A50's as my daily driver for about 4 years now. I'm sick of them.

I would like an amazing pair of Open Ear Headphones, since I talk really loud when playing games. But I wouldn't care if their closed ear either.

Watching youtube and listening to spotify is what I do majority of the time on my computer.

My budget is $200AUD so about 150USD, but willing to spend a bit more if needed.

The headphones need to be comfortable. The A50's hurt my head, as the headband isn't really that great.

Will I also need a amp or something external to use the headphones? I currently have a ASROCK B350 Pro4, has ELNA audio ports.

 

Edit: I'm almost certain I have a massive head. Each pair of headphones I've ever owned, I've had to adjust to the largest size. Would prefer if the headphones were big and not tight around the head/ears. 

Thanks alot,

Ben.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: SilverStone Strider Essential 500W | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown/Corsair K70 MX Speed | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte White)/Logitech G Pro Wireless/Razer Lancehead TE | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im very happy with my Beyerdynamic - DT 990 Pro 250, if you can find them in your price range i highly recommend.
 


Killer G1
4790K / ASRock Killer / GTX 1070 G1 / ASUS MG279Q
 
 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Hey everyone!

 

I've been using Astro A50's as my daily driver for about 4 years now. I'm sick of them.

I would like an amazing pair of Open Ear Headphones, since I talk really loud when playing games. But I wouldn't care if their closed ear either.

Watching youtube and listening to spotify is what I do majority of the time on my computer.

My budget is $200AUD so about 150USD, but willing to spend a bit more if needed.

The headphones need to be comfortable. The A50's hurt my head, as the headband isn't really that great.

Will I also need a amp or something external to use the headphones? I currently have a ASROCK B350 Pro4, has ELNA audio ports.

 

Thanks alot,

Ben.

You can get a external HP amp unless your sound card or on board audio pleases you enough.  Do you want stereo HP's or Virtual Surround 7.1 HP's.  WIth stereo HP's you will get a much better sound.  You say you want it for gaming as well, so you must compromise.  SteelSeries make some nice gaming headsets.  The Razer Tiamat 7.1 is a good gaming headset as well.  You have lots of choices but we must know you want stereo or surround ?


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

Im very happy with my Beyerdynamic - DT 990 Pro 250, if you can find them in your price range i highly recommend.
 

i have them too and paired with hesuvi (for games) they are stellar headphones.


Spoiler

CPU: i5 8600k @ 5GHZ 1.4v

GPU: 1070ti +515mem +160 core

HDD: Seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm

RAM: 16GB ddr4 3200mhz gskill trident z rgb

HEADPHONES: DT990 pro 250ohm limited edition black

MONITER: BenQ xl2536

CASE: s340 elite hyperbeast

KEYBOARD: Razer Blackwidow V2 (green switches)

MOUSE: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition

MOUSEMAT: Razer Firefly (the hard one ( ͡◉◞ ͜ʖ◟ ͡◉) )

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

Im very happy with my Beyerdynamic - DT 990 Pro 250, if you can find them in your price range i highly recommend.
 

I've heard a few people say that they're tight around the head. Have you had issue?

Do you also use a amp with them too, or just plug them straight into your mobo

Thanks


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: SilverStone Strider Essential 500W | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown/Corsair K70 MX Speed | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte White)/Logitech G Pro Wireless/Razer Lancehead TE | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

You can get a external HP amp unless your sound card or on board audio pleases you enough.  Do you want stereo HP's or Virtual Surround 7.1 HP's.  WIth stereo HP's you will get a much better sound.  You say you want it for gaming as well, so you must compromise.  SteelSeries make some nice gaming headsets.  The Razer Tiamat 7.1 is a good gaming headset as well.  You have lots of choices but we must know you want stereo or surround ?

I would like stero. And I'm not really wanting those gaming type headsets. 


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: SilverStone Strider Essential 500W | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown/Corsair K70 MX Speed | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte White)/Logitech G Pro Wireless/Razer Lancehead TE | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Benjji said:

I've heard a few people say that they're tight around the head. Have you had issue?

Do you also use a amp with them too, or just plug them straight into your mobo

Thanks

byers 990s are really comfortable right out of the box, no clamp issues whatsoever (unlike the HD600 which clamps like hell when unboxed).

 

Byers 990 250 ohms do benefit from an amp, but there's also a ~30ohm variant which doesn't.

 

The 990s main problem is treble as they can be really sharp/annoying - the high notes will be really dominant and the mids aren't as forward/clean as I would like. For some people this isn't an issue and if that's the case, I would say it's a wonderful open-back headphone.  Another thing to note is that it doesn't have a removable cable, but I don't see how this would be an issue. 

 

Byers 990 or HD558 are probably the best openbacks at that price point.

 

If you had more money or go for 2nd hand - I would say go for the HD600 (+amp) it is the best headphone i've heard and that includes the HD650, HD660s and HD800, but it's subjective I guess. But gosh do hd600 sound wonderful. Especially comparing it to my headset, I don't even know how I used to think that my old plantronics headset sounded good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
36 minutes ago, DotoreN said:

byers 990s are really comfortable right out of the box, no clamp issues whatsoever (unlike the HD600 which clamps like hell when unboxed).

 

Byers 990 250 ohms do benefit from an amp, but there's also a ~30ohm variant which doesn't.

 

The 990s main problem is treble as they can be really sharp/annoying - the high notes will be really dominant and the mids aren't as forward/clean as I would like. For some people this isn't an issue and if that's the case, I would say it's a wonderful open-back headphone.  Another thing to note is that it doesn't have a removable cable, but I don't see how this would be an issue. 

 

Byers 990 or HD558 are probably the best openbacks at that price point.

 

If you had more money or go for 2nd hand - I would say go for the HD600 (+amp) it is the best headphone i've heard and that includes the HD650, HD660s and HD800, but it's subjective I guess. But gosh do hd600 sound wonderful. Especially comparing it to my headset, I don't even know how I used to think that my old plantronics headset sounded good.

Yeah I'm actually really against treble. I've looked at the HD600's and I'm probably going to end up buying them in the future. 

Cheers mate


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: SilverStone Strider Essential 500W | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown/Corsair K70 MX Speed | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte White)/Logitech G Pro Wireless/Razer Lancehead TE | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Benjji said:

Yeah I'm actually really against treble. I've looked at the HD600's and I'm probably going to end up buying them in the future. 

Cheers mate

What headphone are you planning to buy now then as you're not a fan of the treble?

 

As far as hd558 go, I actually have a HD559 (apparently updated version) in my house that I haven't yet used as my brother uses it. I'll compare them to my HD600 in a bit and give an update.

 

Edit: 

Maybe this is more helpful than my advice as I'm not a real "audiophile". He has a really cool channel worth checking out if you're unsure about certain headphones.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Benjji said:

I've heard a few people say that they're tight around the head. Have you had issue?

Do you also use a amp with them too, or just plug them straight into your mobo

Thanks

Im using a small AMP with mine but its not needed, preference. They fit me very nice but I have a small head. Also, they do not have a mic just an FYI


Killer G1
4790K / ASRock Killer / GTX 1070 G1 / ASUS MG279Q
 
 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo HD 598SR ( Basically slightly better version of HD558 without foam behind the driver ) or Massdrop HE4XX.
HE4XX is better than 598SR ( and better than HD 650 for some ) in every way but amp is a must and after import tax ( if AU has these when buying from US ) it will be way over your budget, probs around $200-230 USD for headphones only and then u will need like 100AUD for amp such as DAC-X6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/16/2019 at 7:20 PM, DotoreN said:

What headphone are you planning to buy now then as you're not a fan of the treble?

 

As far as hd558 go, I actually have a HD559 (apparently updated version) in my house that I haven't yet used as my brother uses it. I'll compare them to my HD600 in a bit and give an update.

 

Edit: 

Maybe this is more helpful than my advice as I'm not a real "audiophile". He has a really cool channel worth checking out if you're unsure about certain headphones.

 

I have not yet watched the video, but I too am not a real "audiophile", but have you tried out the HD559's yet? 

Cheers


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G | Mobo: Asrock AB350 Pro4 | Ram: G.Skill Trident Z (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Intel 545s Series 256GB M.2 (SATA) SSD/Western Digital WD Blue 1TB/Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | Case: NZXT S340 Black Case | PSU: SilverStone Strider Essential 500W | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini White MX Brown/Corsair K70 MX Speed | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte White)/Logitech G Pro Wireless/Razer Lancehead TE | Headphones: Astro A50 Gen 2 | Mic: Rode NT-USB

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Benjji said:

I have not yet watched the video, but I too am not a real "audiophile", but have you tried out the HD559's yet? 

Cheers

HD559 sounded good (not as good as HD600 and not as comfy either), but def worth it for $70-80. In general you could say the HD600 has more detail and the HD559 has more soundstage (and thus better for gaming), although I find my HD600 fine for gaming.

 

Maybe look for the HD598/599 as they're about same price (atleast in my country) and a higher tier headphone.

 

Sennheisers are known for a certain "sound signature", meaning their headphones sound quite different than other headphones. So if you're willing to upgrade to a HD600 eventually, go for the HD558/HD598 (or the updated versions) to get a "feel" for the sound signature. They're also fine without an amp.

 

I really had to get used to the sennheiser sound coming from a completely different brand (logitech and plantronics) and actually disliked the sennheiser sound the first week. After giving it a good listen, I fell in love with the sound signature and I don't see myself going to another brand anytime soon.

 

I would just buy them and return if you don't like them. Most webshops allow 30 days to return for free.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×