Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, I finally got fed up with windows 10 and decided to switch over to linux because the update that I had (that was forced upon me without my permission, even after applying the DWS and Spybot anti-beacon programs back-to-back to which didn't work apparently) slightly corrupted it's own partition as well as screwing up the networking functions.  Not to mention some programs don't work properly anymore.

I installed linux and yeah, so far so good.  One problem:  The touchscreen's HID function is f***ed.    Every time I boot up into linux now I have to log in, and open up the terminal to run the command: sudo xinput disable <device id here, 10> and after 4 minutes it re-enables itself so that I have to re-run the command.  It's getting so annoying.

I now decided that I have no use for the touchscreen's HID function and so I will remove the module that enables the touchscreen's HID function to work instead!  But, one teensy-weensy little problem:  I don't know how to do that.   So I do ask kindly if anyone can help me and walk me through the steps of doing that?  Thank you so much in advance! :)

16 minutes ago, Bendy_BSD said:

The touchscreen's HID function is f***ed

Big oof. yeah, this is actually the reason I haven't done my laptop over to Linux yet, my use case for it is touch dependent. What distro u got? I hear Ubuntu hurts less for this sort of thing, others are more hit or miss.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

37 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Big oof. yeah, this is actually the reason I haven't done my laptop over to Linux yet, my use case for it is touch dependent. What distro u got? I hear Ubuntu hurts less for this sort of thing, others are more hit or miss.

Ubuntu 16.04.5 w/ kernel upgrade (UKUU).

And, define: "hurts less". XP

Every 3-4 minutes the mouse cursor goes sporadic like a crackhead, twitching around without me touching it.  So i Have to bother with running that same command over and over again.  XP

That and my desktop's IPMI management doesn't work. (another topic I posted about.)

2 minutes ago, Bendy_BSD said:

And, define: "hurts less"

as it, it tends to work (just tends to though), although Linux and touch support go together as well as dog food and Cuban cigars, at least for now.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

17 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

as it, it tends to work (just tends to though), although Linux and touch support go together as well as dog food and Cuban cigars, at least for now.

In that case, the HID function of the touch screen is the dog food of my laptop the cuban cigar.  XP

8 hours ago, Bendy_BSD said:

So, I finally got fed up with windows 10 and decided to switch over to linux because the update that I had (that was forced upon me without my permission, even after applying the DWS and Spybot anti-beacon programs back-to-back to which didn't work apparently) slightly corrupted it's own partition as well as screwing up the networking functions.  Not to mention some programs don't work properly anymore.

I installed linux and yeah, so far so good.  One problem:  The touchscreen's HID function is f***ed.    Every time I boot up into linux now I have to log in, and open up the terminal to run the command: sudo xinput disable <device id here, 10> and after 4 minutes it re-enables itself so that I have to re-run the command.  It's getting so annoying.

I now decided that I have no use for the touchscreen's HID function and so I will remove the module that enables the touchscreen's HID function to work instead!  But, one teensy-weensy little problem:  I don't know how to do that.   So I do ask kindly if anyone can help me and walk me through the steps of doing that?  Thank you so much in advance! :)

what does the dmesg say?

btw I think that would require recompiling the kernel, but I think solving that bug is a better thing to do

you could also try disabling the touchscreen module by blacklisting it or remove the x.org driver, are you using x.org right?

also 16.04 is pretty outdated for x.org drivers... would you mind try a live USB of Manjaro just for excluding any bug fixes even if not kernel related?

also, some touchscreen may require the firmware and could be the reason why it acts strange

One last thing. Why are you using xinput? Touchscreen should also be displaying as an xrandr display device

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, Bendy_BSD said:

Ubuntu 16.04.5 w/ kernel upgrade (UKUU).

You might want to try 18.04, 16.04 is almost 3 years old.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

You might want to try 18.04, 16.04 is almost 3 years old.

Fair point, but mainly its just for compatibility reasons, at least in my case.

11 hours ago, Lukyp said:

what does the dmesg say?

btw I think that would require recompiling the kernel, but I think solving that bug is a better thing to do

you could also try disabling the touchscreen module by blacklisting it or remove the x.org driver, are you using x.org right?

also 16.04 is pretty outdated for x.org drivers... would you mind try a live USB of Manjaro just for excluding any bug fixes even if not kernel related?

also, some touchscreen may require the firmware and could be the reason why it acts strange

One last thing. Why are you using xinput? Touchscreen should also be displaying as an xrandr display device

dmesg? 

The thing is that I don't want the touch screen functionality. 

The reason why I have been using the xinput command is that there's no one else with the same problem as I do so I have to search for a different term to go by and of course for whatever reason it works and isn't permanently disabling the HID function. The HID hardware aspect of the screen is screwed however the actual display panel is just fine.  

21 minutes ago, Bendy_BSD said:

dmesg? 

The thing is that I don't want the touch screen functionality. 

The reason why I have been using the xinput command is that there's no one else with the same problem as I do so I have to search for a different term to go by and of course for whatever reason it works and isn't permanently disabling the HID function. The HID hardware aspect of the screen is screwed however the actual display panel is just fine.  

fine, you may want to identify the touchscreen driver by using "sudo lspci -vv" and find the driver it is using, by just finding the device name and the "kernel module in use" name, then you can blacklist it

if you give me the lsmod output I can probably tell you what module to disable, if you can't find it

10 hours ago, Lukyp said:

fine, you may want to identify the touchscreen driver by using "sudo lspci -vv" and find the driver it is using, by just finding the device name and the "kernel module in use" name, then you can blacklist it

if you give me the lsmod output I can probably tell you what module to disable, if you can't find it

Sweet! :)

Give me a few, I have some things that I need to do and I'll give you the output.  :)  And thank you so much for helping me man.  ^^

For xorg things, you can try and experiment with a file in /etc/X11/xorg.d/ (I might be wrong with the path here) for the touchpad config.   I've done that before with mouse settings to turn accel etc off.  Might be worth looking into.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

1 hour ago, bloodthirster said:

For xorg things, you can try and experiment with a file in /etc/X11/xorg.d/ (I might be wrong with the path here) for the touchpad config.   I've done that before with mouse settings to turn accel etc off.  Might be worth looking into.

Thanks man.  :)