Loud fan - resolution?

Randian

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some insight on a hardware problem I am having.

HARDWARE: I have the HP Omen Desktop.

PROBLEMYesterday I decided to move my desktop tower around in my room. Setting it down I ran into an issue: one of the fans is extremely loud. I've joked to my roommates my desktop is preparing to fire itself into space. I have not had this issue before.

The fan will become extremely loud even when I'm idling on the desktop.

WHAT I'VE ATTEMPTED: I have attempted to do a full system restore to see if a setting was changed. It did not resolve the problem. I opened the desktop and blew out the dust. No resolution. I didn't bump my computer when I moved it, so I'm not sure if the fan somehow got moved around?

WHAT I NEED HELP ON: I don't have any experience on these issues. Should I attempt to open the fan port and tighten screws? If that's how that works? I'm not too sure where to start, or if there's other things I can check.

Thanks everyone!

9 minutes ago, Randian said:

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some insight on a hardware problem I am having.

HARDWARE: I have the HP Omen Desktop.

PROBLEMYesterday I decided to move my desktop tower around in my room. Setting it down I ran into an issue: one of the fans is extremely loud. I've joked to my roommates my desktop is preparing to fire itself into space. I have not had this issue before.

The fan will become extremely loud even when I'm idling on the desktop.

WHAT I'VE ATTEMPTED: I have attempted to do a full system restore to see if a setting was changed. It did not resolve the problem. I opened the desktop and blew out the dust. No resolution. I didn't bump my computer when I moved it, so I'm not sure if the fan somehow got moved around?

WHAT I NEED HELP ON: I don't have any experience on these issues. Should I attempt to open the fan port and tighten screws? If that's how that works? I'm not too sure where to start, or if there's other things I can check.

Thanks everyone!

Well first off we have to figure out which fan is it.  A case fan or the CPU cooler fan or vide card fan.  You can open the case panel and with a soft object or your finger stop each fan until you see which one it is making the noise.  Just be careful don't cut your finger.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Oh, apologies.

It's the CPU cooler fan.

EDIT: The fan in the top left w/ the red box around it is the fan in question.

Exa.png

• 1 month later...

Just a bump,

My next step is to try to purchase a new fan for a replacement, but I can't seem to find the same fan.

Information listed on the fan:

Asetek, 

Serial: 23443161207204046

Product key: B63

VOltage: 120C

Power: 2.0W 

Any suggestions on how I can find the same fan, or otherwise find something to replace it with? I'm not very good at these type of things. Also, if there's any other ideas on what to try, I'm all ears.

Thanks!