i7-9700K vs i9-9900K - Which Is Better For My Build?

JeffTutorialsYT

Hey everyone, so I keep debating with myself weather I should spend the extra $80 and get an i9 instead of an i7 for my build. I will be doing heavy gaming and moderate video editing in Adobe Premiere on the daily basis. Will I see $80 worth of performance if I opt for the i9 with this setup?

Here is my current part list with the i7:

If you are spending almost 2k on a setup like that you might as well pay the extra 80 bucks. It's like 5% more expensive for a significant boost. 

If you don't mind spending the extra money, then just get the 9900k. Also, get a better power supply.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, mxk. said:

If you don't mind spending the extra money, then just get the 9900k. Also, get a better power supply.

I don't mind spending extra money, along as it's not a ripoff lol.

And, you don't think that power supply is good? I've been told 850w is overkill anyways for this build.

Just now, JeffTutorialsYT said:

And, you don't think that power supply is good? I've been told 850w is overkill anyways for this build.

It's not the wattage, its the fact that the G3 Supernova isn't as good as the G2 or other PSUs from EVGA or just other PSUs from other brands. It has some issues (can't remember off of the top of my head atm).

850w is actually overkill. 750w should be fine even with a 9900k.

Use this list and get any PSU from tier A to tier B. Don't mind the fact that the G3 is Tier B... Just a different power supply is my suggestion.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

2 minutes ago, JeffTutorialsYT said:

If you were just gaming it probably wouldn't net you many benefits, but with video editing thrown in it should be a significant bump.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

23 minutes ago, JeffTutorialsYT said:

And, you don't think that power supply is good? I've been told 850w is overkill anyways for this build

Bitfenix formula gold 550 or 650.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

27 minutes ago, JeffTutorialsYT said:

Overkill is underated

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

1 minute ago, WihGlah said:

Overkill is underated

Overkill is overpriced

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Overkill is overpriced

He is spending 2 grand, an extra $20 is irrelevant. And might be cheaper in the long run.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

1 minute ago, WihGlah said:

He is spending 2 grand, an extra $20 is irrelevant. And might be cheaper in the long run.

How? it's just gold efficiency. If it was being spent on platinum or something the extra cost is justified, but more money for unused wattage wholly goes to waste.

Primary PC:

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

How? it's just gold efficiency. If it was being spent on platinum or something the extra cost is justified, but more money for unused wattage wholly goes to waste.

1) Because PSUs last more than one system - and the next one might need more. And don't tell me computers are getting more efficient so use less power - because that just isn't true.

2) Running a PSU at close to maximum output has a deleterious effect on it's durability.

3) Running a PSU at close to maximum output also puts it at the maximum limit of the chosen designed heat dissipation of the cooling solution. (which means they get noisy). If you get a larger capacity PSU, they have larger capacity cooling solutions - which means they cool passively most of the time given the same output. PSUs are most efficient at 50% output. Inefficiency in electrical systems  = heat.

4) Typically ripple increases exponentially as you approach the max output of a PSU. If you don't like ripple then don't do that.

5 minutes ago, WihGlah said:

1) Because PSUs last more than one system - and the next one might need more. And don't tell me computers are getting more efficient so use less power - because that just isn't true.

Unless OP will be running an overclocked 9900K and 2 RTX 2080 Tis he won't need any more than 700W. 650W is just fine for powering that system. 

People overestimate how much power their PCs really need nowadays.

5 minutes ago, WihGlah said:

2) Running a PSU at close to maximum output has a deleterious effect on it's durability.

3) Running a PSU at close to maximum output also puts it at the maximum limit of the chosen designed heat dissipation of the cooling solution. (which means they get noisy). If you get a larger capacity PSU, they have larger capacity cooling solutions - which means they cool passively most of the time given the same output.

Lol what? OP won't be running this system at 'close to maximum output'.

I've run the system specs through a PSU calculator (9900K, GTX 1070 etc.) and I got a result of 386W load output. 

Also, may I remind you, PSU calculators are known for overestimating things.

Even if that calculator was spot on, 386W is a long shot away from 650W. There's plenty of headroom left for overclocking and upgrades.

Just now, WihGlah said:

Now you are just making stuff up.

Ok well Steve from GamersNexus is too then I suppose

Primary PC:

-Thread cleaned-

Please keep comments on-topic and contributing, rather than derailing into useless arguments.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!