Tax time upgrades...

Dxg1997

So, I've been meaning to upgrade, but haven't had the budget.

Currently running

CPU: AMD FX-8350

MoBo: MSI 970A-G43 (garbage tier, built on a budget, wouldn't recommend for any kind of overclocking)

Ram: G.Skill Sniper X 1666 mHz 24 gb

GFX: MSi Gaming X GTX 1070

Case: Phanteks P400S TG Silent Edition

Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL

My card/board are on the fritz. Not sure which, plugged the 1070 into a micro atx server PC I have and couldn't get video out of the card. Took car to a local shop, he plugged it into his test bench and it all worked fine. We'll chaulk that up to user error for now. 

I plan on upgrading my entire pc, but I'm wondering if I should just use my current graphics card.

Planning on going with

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X, will be overclocking

MoBo: Msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

Ram: 32 gb of G.Skill Trident Z RGB at 3600 mHz

GFX: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

Case: Deep Cool Gamer Storm New Ark 90SE

Cooler: Deep Cool Gamer Storm Captain 240EX

My main question is, is it worth it to upgrade to an RTX 2080 versus my current GTX 1070? 

Are there any other compatibility issues I'm missing? 

Will this system be able to run crysis? ?

I want a badass system right off the bat, considering I've pieced my current one together from sales over the years.

First time messing with Ryzen, and I love AMD so don't try and sell me on an Intel system please!

As someone who has gone from a 1070 to a 1080ti in the past I would say it is definitely a big step up in performance.

So it's safe to say getting Ray tracing is worth it as well too?

1 hour ago, Dxg1997 said:

cant tell right now. only 2 games have rtx support. only a few have dlss support. 

What monitor are you using? That is a big factor in choosing a gpu.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

11 hours ago, Dxg1997 said:

@Spudbilly I've got a 28 inch Acer 4k as primary. As well as a 24 inch 1080p Acer as my secondary

60hz on the primary? Gsync?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

RAM prices are down a bit, but why do you want 32gb? I haven't been able to use more than about 12gb with a game running on top of about 30 Chrome tabs, music player, and torrent client uploading and downloading all at once.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

@Spudbilly yes, 60hz on primary, with freesync. It's a CB281HK

@Kalm_Traveler1 mostly because seeing 4 RGB ram sticks would be awesome, and I tend to play Minecraft and let it eat most of my ram to load chunks miles ahead of me, with shaders and such

31 minutes ago, Dxg1997 said:

@Spudbilly yes, 60hz on primary, with freesync. It's a CB281HK

@Kalm_Traveler1 mostly because seeing 4 RGB ram sticks would be awesome, and I tend to play Minecraft and let it eat most of my ram to load chunks miles ahead of me, with shaders and such

The 2080 would handle 4k 60fps much better. 

On 2/16/2019 at 10:33 AM, Dxg1997 said:

You'll be paying the early adopter tax, however at the same time there are very few new features on the scale of RTX that have been a complete flop and they are the best performing cards on the market.  So you just have to decide if you are happy to pay premium dollars right now.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/15/2019 at 11:45 PM, Dxg1997 said:

GFX: MSi Gaming X GTX 1070

No need to upgrade that.

So I'd sugesst to buy a good PSU instead.

Like Be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Whisper M. Something like that.

Planning on going with

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X, will be overclocking

MoBo: Msi X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

Ram: 32 gb of G.Skill Trident Z RGB at 3600 mHz

No idea about the Board.

But you should read up on Ryzen Overclocking as that is completely different...

So what you really want to look for is a Motherboard that supports "P-State Overclocking", wich isn't that much.

As for the Memory: 3600MHz might be not that easy on Ryzen.

IIRC Asrock Taichi supports it.

As for CPU/Board: I have bad news, its rumored that the Ryzen 3000nm in 7nm might be released on 7.7.2019...

Wich means that you might want to save on the CPU a bit and go for either a 2600 or 2600X instead and save the money for GPU and CPU for that.

NAVI is also said to be released around that time.

Cooler: Deep Cool Gamer Storm Captain 240EX

I ain't no fan of AIO Water Coolers because they tend to break it seems.

Thus either a Noctua NH-D15 or be quiet Dark Rock PRO 4 would be my choice.

My main question is, is it worth it to upgrade to an RTX 2080 versus my current GTX 1070? 

Your GPU is already pretty nice. So I'd want to try it with that first before upgrading...

First time messing with Ryzen, and I love AMD so don't try and sell me on an Intel system please!

Why not go full AMD then? ;)

Radeon 7 is a bit early to get right now though...

Right now it is not, as we don't know much about it and its not really used anyway.

And, as always, the first implementations are usually really shit.

So I'd miss out on that, keep the GPU you have and just lay back and wait. 

Maybe you update the GPU in Summer/Fall, when Navi is out?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

So it seems I may just wait on the gpu and if I don't like how my 1070 does I'll sell it and get a 2080. 

@Stefan Payne I actually have a pretty good power supply already. It's an EVGA Supernova NEX750B. I've also been running my Cooler Master Nepton non stop for years and never had an issue. 

1 hour ago, Dxg1997 said:

I actually have a pretty good power supply already. It's an EVGA Supernova NEX750B. 

Sadly that's a rather bad PSU based on a Design, that was shitty when it came out back in 2005 or so...

Its based on a similar design thatn eh old be quiet Straight Power - E5 and E6 version from back in the day...

Here Pictures:

https://www.ozeros.com/2015/02/review-fuentes-de-poder-evga-600b-y-nex750b-supernova/3/

It doesn't have independant regulation of the voltages. 12V and 5V is regulated together, so high load on 12V and low on 5V might make one or the other rail go out of spec...

In short: Its NOT a good PSU: Many EVGA PSU are not good.

And only because a "reputable" brand is on the label, doesn't make it good.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I have no idea where you came up with 2005 because I bought it shortly after release in 2014 and it's been a fantastic power supply ever since. It's gone through an EVGA 8800 GTS, EVGA GTX 750ftw, and now powering my MSI GTX 1070, it's been an absolute tank through it all, running for sometimes weeks on end. If I were to get another psu for some reason it's going to be another EVGA because of the success I've had with this "cheap bad" power supply. I don't see the point in buying a be quiet one from a company that specialized in fans. Not to mention it would be nice if I could read anything on that link you posted