Advise on Cooling Fan 3x120 vs 2x140

Khan92
Go to solution Solved by Tristerin,

If it were me I would look at all the fans in my budget range, compare CFM to the dBA ratio, PWM vs DC functionality, if my motherboard can support that many fans or do I need a splitter or two etc

In the end, size usually indicates decent CFM and lower noise (potentially) so 2x140mm may move a little less than 3x120mm...however the level of noise 3x120mm puts out is a much higher delta between them than the CFM performance between the two.

EDIT - or if I didn't care about noise, check out Static Pressure fans, get PWM ones so you can control the speeds (or you will hate the noise) as those move the most air direct.  Meant for pushing air through Radiators in PC cases etc.

Hi Guys, I just recently build my 1st PC (previously just own gaming laptop).

My build is using Cooler Master Master Box MB500 TUF Gaming Edition ATX Gaming Case come with Three 120mm RGB Fans.

2 of the fans in the front for intake and 1 at the back as exhaust fan.

I'm thinking to add more fans for the cooling my system as I'm planning to Overclock my GPU(Vega 56) and upgrade my CPU to the 3rd gen Ryzen CPU once it's out.

Do u think I should have 3x120mm for intake and 3x120mm for exaust OR  2x140mm for intake and 3x120mm for exaust is better for the air flow?

I'm still new in this area & your advise is much appreciated.

English is my 3rd language sorry for the grammatical error .

Thanks,

Khan 

CP.jpg

neither, spend that money on a better CPU cooler or GPU cooler. the fans will have a pretty minimal impact on temperatures

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@Khan92 depends if the total CFM and dBA ratio is what you are looking for.

If you wanted all SP fans...boy you could move some air, and also want to wear ear plugs when its on.  

"Its not the size of the boat, its the motion in the ocean" can apply here to

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

If it were me I would look at all the fans in my budget range, compare CFM to the dBA ratio, PWM vs DC functionality, if my motherboard can support that many fans or do I need a splitter or two etc

In the end, size usually indicates decent CFM and lower noise (potentially) so 2x140mm may move a little less than 3x120mm...however the level of noise 3x120mm puts out is a much higher delta between them than the CFM performance between the two.

EDIT - or if I didn't care about noise, check out Static Pressure fans, get PWM ones so you can control the speeds (or you will hate the noise) as those move the most air direct.  Meant for pushing air through Radiators in PC cases etc.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

Thank you so much for the advise...i will look into CFM and DBA even more .. more research needed from my side to understand on this things..
U been very helpful..

Have a great one ,Bless your soul :)

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

neither, spend that money on a better CPU cooler or GPU cooler. the fans will have a pretty minimal impact on temperatures

Interesting ...but im still to scare of water cooling solution..perhaps maybe after a few years of training building a PC i should be able to do it :)

11 hours ago, Khan92 said:

Interesting ...but im still to scare of water cooling solution..perhaps maybe after a few years of training building a PC i should be able to do it :)

Just an air cooler that isn't the stock AMD one is going to bring down temperatures quite a bit and reduces noise. Same for the GPU, there are several air coolers that you can slap on there to make it quieter

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016