Will there be a big bottleneck?

NoahN.
Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

You'll be fine. Also hends=hence, small ssd=2.5" drive, big hdd=3.5" drive.

Have you already purchased these parts? Either way, enjoy your PC!

I'm not the brightest with bottlenecking(hends why I'm writing this) I need help to determine if there will appear any form of bottleneck or not in my setup. I know that it's impossible to avoid any bottleneck at all, but I want to avoid it as much as I can.

setup:

ASUS TUF B360M-E GAMING Motherboard - Intel B360 - Intel LGA1151 socket - DDR4 RAM - Micro-ATX = Motherboard

Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake CPU - 3.2 GHz - Intel LGA1151 - 6 Core - Intel Boxed = CPU

Inno3D GeForce RTX 2070 Twin X2 - 8GB GDDR6 RAM - Graphics card = GPU

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 C16 BK DC - 16GB = RAM

Crucial MX500 SSD 2.5" - 500GB = Small SSD

WD Red WD10EFRX NAS Harddisk - 1 TB - 3.5" - 5400 rpm - SATA-600 - 64 MB cache = "Big" HDD

Corsair TX550M Power supply - 550 Watt - 120 mm - 80 Plus Gold certified = Power supply 

17 minutes ago, NoahN. said:

@NinJakeI haven't bought the parts yet, why?

I was just asking because you obviously picked out that cpu and motherboard for a reason, but just in case you were unaware, getting a more expensive motherboard and a "K" series processor will allow you to overclock.

If you have the budget for it, mind as well get those clock speeds higher :P Otherwise as stated.. You're fine with what you have.

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I was just asking because you obviously picked out that cpu and motherboard for a reason, but just in case you were unaware, getting a more expensive motherboard and a "K" series processor will allow you to overclock.

If you have the budget for it, mind as well get those clock speeds higher :P Otherwise as stated.. You're fine with what you have.

yeah, I have thought of this before but decided that I don't wanna go for ANY risks with overclocking 

1 minute ago, NoahN. said:

yeah, I have thought of this before but decided that I don't wanna go for ANY risks with overclocking 

No risks, it’s much far more stable, I’d get it just to give your pc more value and stability

Just now, Juniiii said:

No risks, it’s much far more stable, I’d get it just to give your pc more value and stability

I've just heard a few people frying their CPUs because they tried to overclock them

I've just heard a few people frying their CPUs because they tried to overclock them

Depending on your motherboard, there may be built in overclocking tools that for the most part take care of all of the risk for you and can always revert back. It's as simple as changing a setting and saying. Turn on OC.

You can fry your CPU but that's if you try manually entering and tweaking all of your settings.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Depending on your motherboard, there may be built in overclocking tools that for the most part take care of all of the risk for you and can always revert back. It's as simple as changing a setting and saying. Turn on OC.

You can fry your CPU but that's if you try manually entering and tweaking all of your settings.

But if the motherboard that I order doesn't have an overclocking tool, what should I then do if I wanted to overclock safely? 

5 minutes ago, NoahN. said:

In my experiences, it hard to fry them unless you do stupid things like putting the voltage all the way up, normally if a overclock fails you’d only have to reset bios and no harm done. You might not even over lock but getting the k (which means unlocked) is something you should consider.

Just now, NoahN. said:

But if the motherboard that I order doesn't have an overclocking tool, what should I then do if I wanted to overclock safely? 

I would do some research and just look into the motherboard before you buy and see how their iteration of OC works. For example, my current desktop has a i7-6700K and I went with the Asus Maximus VIII (8) Hero board. You should be able to google that and check out the OC tools. I'm sure if you got an ASUS board it would be fairly similar if not more refined.

1 minute ago, Juniiii said:

In my experiences, it hard to fry them unless you do stupid things like putting the voltage all the way up, normally if a overclock fails you’d only have to reset bios and no harm done. You might not even over lock but getting the k (which means unlocked) is something you should consider.

I will 100% consider that when I order the PC parts. Thank you both for the help!

Just now, NoahN. said:

I can ensure you that your motherboard does have a tool, and if you want to do it safely it’s easy, increase the multiplier or ratio up a bit, if it starts to freeze or crash, increase voltage, find the max safe voltage and try not to hit the max. Find the sweet spot and done.

Just now, NoahN. said:

I will 100% consider that when I order the PC parts. Thank you both for the help!

I believe the K chip and board allows for faster stock speeds out of the box as well. But don't quote me on that one lol

Just now, NinJake said:

I believe the K chip and board allows for faster stock speeds out of the box as well. But don't quote me on that one lol

haha, yeah. I compared some of the CPUs that I was looking at and then I also tried to compare the K and non-K. The K HAS a faster stock speed unlesss I'm either blind or dumb lol

haha, yeah. I compared some of the CPUs that I was looking at and then I also tried to compare the K and non-K. The K HAS a faster stock speed unlesss I'm either blind or dumb lol

Also... idk if you have a water or air cooler for your build either, but I know for a fact Intel does not include a heatsink/fan for the CPU if it's a K series. Not sure about the non-K.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Also... idk if you have a water or air cooler for your build either, but I know for a fact Intel does not include a heatsink/fan for the CPU if it's a K series. Not sure about the non-K.

That is REALLY good to know(didn't know it) Damn, I would have sat there with a whole PC missing ONE THING! a CPU fan lmao

18 minutes ago, NoahN. said:

Usually, if you make sure to take precautions and follow an overclocking guide you should have no problems.

The majority of people fry their CPUs because they overclock it too high or they give the CPU too much power (1.5V is the max I would recommend).

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

It does, and it’s also a lot more stable

Build is completely balanced.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Usually, if you make sure to take precautions and follow an overclocking guide you should have no problems.

The majority of people fry their CPUs because they overclock it too high or they give the CPU too much power (1.5V is the max I would recommend).

That will help me a lot @1kv thanks!

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Build is completely balanced.

Already been said, we’re on a different topic

3 minutes ago, NoahN. said:

That is REALLY good to know(didn't know it) Damn, I would have sat there with a whole PC missing ONE THING! a CPU fan lmao

I would recommend an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO (if it's available). It got released about two weeks ago and as far as I can tell, it's a great cooler for the money.