Looking for my first smartphone(I know I'm late to the party), looking for info

Halazar

I was watching some review videos and they stress how the Pocophone F1 is better especially regarding the CPU and when it comes to games.. but I wont game at all on the smartphone, like maybe Tetris or Sudoku sometimes, certainly not PUBG mobile, I've got my 8700k/1080ti for that(I mean not the PUBG mobile :P).

Does it also mean for a better experience overall/does it justify the 100€ difference with lets say, the Note 6 pro, which has 2 less ram?
Does it make for a big QoL difference that its noticeable?
Is the better processing power and RAM really gonna mean it'll perform nicely for a longer period of time, or will I have to replace them both around the same time?

I'm just trying to see if the difference in price is worth it, because the Pocophone does seem good, but the Note 6 seems to be very similar in terms to spec, idk if I can justify the price difference; heres the comparison https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9293&idPhone2=9333

I've also heard that the Note 7 should come out soon and still be around the 200€ price range with the 4gb edition, do you think its worth waiting for if I don't want to go for the F1?

Even outside of Gaming, you can feel the difference between a Snapdragon 636 (or even 660) and a 845 - if you're somewhat of a poweruser, switching between multiple apps, etc. There will be noticeable less slow downs. 

I for example switched from an Galaxy S7 Edge with Exynso 8890 to a Oneplus 6t with Snapdragon 845. Some simple things, like sharing anything into a Whatsapp Chat message, there are no slow downs anymore. It just flies through, every animation is smooth, and there is no unneccessary Lag. While the S7 Edge sometimes needed the one or other second to think :P

And the Exynos 8890 is quite faster than a Snapdragon 636, like 30-40% faster.

Also, 6gb Ram vs. 4gb Ram: Much more space for apps to keep in memory, so they don't have to reload.

My 8gb Oneplus 6t right now has 1.7gb free Ram, 5,9gb used Ram, and total 7,6gb (some 100 mb are reserved for System).

Android-OS (the Process) Takes 1.9gb in average, Google 900 mb, System-UI 300 mb, etc. But also mainly, because the Ram is there. On a 4gb phone it won't take as much, but all the Android-OS related things, that are permanently in the Ram, can easy take up 2gb+ in total, leaving you with <2gb remaining gb to use them for Apps alone.

4gb is fine for the <200€ region, but you can easy notice it, when you have 6 gb instead of 4 gb.

The thing is... While the Pocophone does give you more performance (even if you just say: More performance for the next years), it also costs more.

It is perfectly valid to get the Note 6 Pro, and save the Money. Basic Smartphone Tasks will be absolute no Issue at all. And the Money you save here, you can start saving up for an earlier upgrade in the Future, if you need it.

But if you call yourself an enthusiast or anything, and you hate every little tiny bit of Lag/slow down, you will be happier with the Pocophone.

Also, the Pocophone uses fast UFS 2.1 Storage, while the Note 6 Pro uses the older, slower (and cheaper) emmc 5.0 Storage. So this higher read/write speed of the UFS 2.1 storage could also help with apps starting faster.

If you don't go for the Pocophone F1, in my opinion i would wait for the Note 7, or even Note 7 Pro (better Camera. still 48MP, but the Sony sensor, which is superior to the Samsung 48MP Sensor, that is used in the Basic note 7. Also, the  Sony 48MP Sensor is the same, that's used in the Xiaomi Mi 9, their brand new 2019 Flaggship). The first Camera comparisons didn't gave it a better rating than Note 5 or Note 6 Pro, but maybe the Design, Price, and Performance could be worth it. It will be all Glas and Metal body, while the Note 6 Pro still uses some Plastic.

Next week, Xiaomi will most likely launch their Note 7 Pro event.

16 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Oh man I really don't know what to do. I'll wait for Note 7 pro global release I guess, check the reviews, and if it comes out with 6 gb of ram at still under F1 price with good reviews, then I may buy it

The Nokia 7 Plus is an awesome phone that's quite cheap, and it has a successor now that's a slight spec bump. 

That's an F in the profile pic

9 hours ago, Froody129 said:

The Nokia 7 Plus is an awesome phone that's quite cheap, and it has a successor now that's a slight spec bump. 

Yeah but 260€ for a 4 gb RAM smartphone feels bad when I could get a like the Note 7 for 180€, does it have other features that set it apart? I don't really care for aesthetics

Nokia 7 Plus does have Android One, which means it will get most likely a bit quicker Updates (but xiaomi is quite fast with their MIUI). But it does give you stock android experience.

Also, the Camera is quite good, it's a quite durable Phone, and easy to repair (check out Jerryrigeverything's Award Video!), and ultimately, it does have NFC.

Of course, when the Note 7 does launch finally, it will be different again, because the Nokia 7 Plus is now a 1 year old Phone, while the Note 7 is brand new. That also means, Nokia 7 Plus has 1 less Year left for Updates.

Btw: February 28th, Xiaomi will show their Note 7 Pro (better Camera sensor, more storage/Ram options available), which will probably be a VERY interesting Option for 200~ bucks.

If you are going for a xiaomi phone, consider that their stock miui apps contain ads. Yes freakin ADS. And their apps permission thing is weird. For example the weather app request access to my files and ability to making phone calls. So if you consider privacy to be an important thing, then you know the answer. How do I know this? Well I own a xiaomi phone.

20 minutes ago, Aldoarip said:

If you are going for a xiaomi phone, consider that their stock miui apps contain ads. Yes freakin ADS. And their apps permission thing is weird. For example the weather app request access to my files and ability to making phone calls. So if you consider privacy to be an important thing, then you know the answer. How do I know this? Well I own a xiaomi phone.

Yeah I already have a friend that will guide me throu the process of putting LineageOS once I decide which one I go for

• 2 months later...

Ok SO not to be a necromancer but I tought it was pointless opening a new thead for this:
I only now know (after 1+ month of this information being out) that the Xiaomi Note 7 Pro will not have an european/italian version, so I waited for nothing I guess. Are there any news I should be aware of? The only thing that held me from the pocophone is the quality of the camera, I saw some videos and it doesn't make pretty videos, but the pictures are fine