Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Twilight

(UPDATED - Claim has been removed) The Linux Gamer's response video to LTT got claimed by Fullscreen

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

You seem to be misinformed. There's a HUGE difference between a copyright claim and a takedown notice resulting in a copyright strike.

Copyright claims, which is what has happened here to The Linux Gamer are often an automatic process where Content ID detects that a portion of your copyrighted content has appeared in another video on Youtube, and will issue a copyright claim on the video. The video remains public and viewable by the viewers, however any ad revenue generated by the video may be redirected to the original copyright holder. There's no punishment for the channel when a copyright claim is made against them, they will just lose the revenue for the video.

Copyright strikes or takedown notices, which is what The Verge did, are when they manually issue a legal notice that a video is infringing on their copyright and that they demand the video be removed from the platform. The channel will then receive a copyright strike against their channel which comes with punishments for the channel, such as losing their ability to live stream or perhaps no longer being 'recommended' or promoted in the search results or feed which can severely hurt the channels traffic and views. If they are issued with multiple copyright strikes, their channel can be removed completely.

(snip) 

This is an excellent explanation of how these things work. 

I'd like to add that as long as the creator who gets the automated claim disputes it in a timely manner, there is no lost revenue during the period while it was "claimed". 

I've been down at IBM Think for the last couple of days and this thread is the first I'm hearing of this issue.. Aaaand it's already resolved. 

So, as far as I can tell, everything is working as it should...ish

We have noticed a significant uptick in copyright claims in the last couple of weeks, though, with some of them being in really really old content which suggests youtube has made some kind of change to ContentID and we've been trying to figure out how to address it.

We are generally pretty supportive of the creation of derivative works by our community and we want to make sure that they aren't being algorithmically claimed, but this change has caused other issues for us too. I woke up the other morning to a handful of claims made against Tech Quickie by LTT... Can't have that. 

I'm sure this will be resolved, but it's probably going to take some time for youtube to get their crap in order, as usual. 

What a strange sequence of events... This is why people were so afraid of Content ID when it first rolled out. At the same time, that it's not legally binding and is so quickly reversible is quite a relief, though I guess if LTT took Techquickie's adsense dollars it really wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things... :P Either way, I think Linus nailed our position on this one: We're not trying to silence anyone here, directly or indirectly; This was a glitch in the Matrix.

Anthony @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP             

I'm a handsome man with a charming personality. - Gabe Newell

They should copy strike all the stupid youtube ads. I lost count of how many impeach Donald Trump ads I've seen whenever I view a youtube news channel. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

This was a glitch in the Matrix.

Oh God... that means they've changed something...

206351159_agentcat.jpg.6782d87cb9d0ba46193506a78645cf12.jpg

img source: http://donthatethegeek.com/another-glitch-in-the-matrix/

10 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

oh is that what it means? lmao what has that to do with this??

Yeah hence my post... I'm not sure what perjury has to do with it either.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

On 2/15/2019 at 7:39 AM, Misanthrope said:

For legal purposes that's what a DMCA claim is. Just because they've taken it back or because they might say they're sorry or they might want to claim Fullscreen doesn't represents them doesn't means it's not falsely reporting a crime when they know well one wasn't committed other than being critical (misguided as it might be) of their content.

Sorry but if all of you lost your shit when the vergue did this to Kyle probably under extremely similar circumstances (Someone or some firm legally representing them acting in an overzealous matter) Yet when Linus Media Group is (directly or indirectly as it might be) doing it to somebody else all of the discussion on this thread is just character assassination of the guy who's on the receiving end. 

This is a double standard and you're all too biased towards Linus to want to acknowledge than none of what is being discussed here is any fucking excuse for this strike.

To be clear bud, a youtube contentid claim isnt acutally a dmca takedown, or even legally binding, its a youtube thing not backed by any law, dmca doesnt even have stuff for covering what content id does.

8 minutes ago, Adama said:

To be clear bud, a youtube contentid claim isnt acutally a dmca takedown, or even legally binding, its a youtube thing not backed by any law, dmca doesnt even have stuff for covering what content id does.

Except even a ID claim can be a big deal,  the creator no longer gets any monetization on a contentID claimed video. There needs to be a better way of disputing the claims for stuff that isn't obviously ripping off someones content.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Except even a ID claim can be a big deal,  the creator no longer gets any monetization on a contentID claimed video. There needs to be a better way of disputing the claims for stuff that isn't obviously ripping off someones content.

People don't really realise there isnt a better option, if youtube doesnt do this hollywood and the music industry will either setup external systems for automatiicaly suing people, or drive google to shut youtube down.

This also has nothing to do with what i said.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, wasab said:

They should copy strike all the stupid youtube ads. I lost count of how many impeach Donald Trump ads I've seen whenever I view a youtube news channel. 

I'm paying youtube good money to specifically show these ads to you personally.

Looks like Content ID is back at it again.

Carey Holzman got 7 copyright claims that were supposedly from LTT (claimed automatically by Content ID) because he used Heaven Benchmark in a few of his videos.

If you're replying to someone then quote/tag them, otherwise they won't see your response.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier ListX99 Xeon/i7 Discussion

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

16 minutes ago, Adama said:

People don't really realise there isnt a better option, if youtube doesnt do this hollywood and the music industry will either setup external systems for automatiicaly suing people, or drive google to shut youtube down.

This also has nothing to do with what i said.

They actually started doing this because of said people (aka not by choice but by force), they where going (or did) to sue Google/YT for copyright infringement much like how download sites got hit hard over the years. So instead of having to deal with potentially hundreds if not thousands of claims against said videos and having to issue clientele information Google/YT decided to go this path which imo is a lot easier, cleaner and causes less disruptions. If they said F it and did nothing and said "hey if one of our asshat video makers use your song legally or not we will forfeit their information and let them deal with it" imagine not just the amount of work they themselves would have to do but the legal issues that come with it and not just for disclosing personal information either but having to have a legal team on the ready all day every day. This system is not perfect but it works far better than the other options. I've had claims in the past (no strikes) and truth be told I don't care, simply because I don't monetize my videos

I have seen a lot of creators on YT have actually said F adsense because of the adpocalypse, the best examples I have seen are NerdCubed and Explosm. First one is now making 7K a month where as a year ago they where only pulling in 3.5K, the second is making at least 4K a month. Both have been fucked by ads in revenue, and then there is the more recent Trainer Tips and Mystic7 channels that got boned for a day. That said the system is a big pile of steaming crap but trust me it is infinitely better than the other options.

Youtube had to have changed something with all this crap recently going on, so if anyone wants to blame anyone BLAME YOUTUBE OR BETTER YET BLAME EU CHAPTER 13.

9 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Looks like Content ID is back at it again.

Carey Holzman got 7 copyright claims that were supposedly from LTT (claimed automatically by Content ID) because he used Heaven Benchmark in a few of his videos.

Already another thread discussing this.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I got one of these content claims today on one of my videos. As my video predated the LTT one by almost a year I put it down Youtube being Youtube and Youtube is a dick. I disputed it through Youtube system and I'll let Youtube sort it out. I don't have any issue with LTT or any of the team. Automated content screening is really dumb and I think everyone should know this by now.

I got a copy claim ID thing on my channel as well.

Did I do something wrong? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_IWwOreZo

I really have no idea.  I just post videos very rarely.  I didn't use any of Linus's stuff so I am confused.

Just now, Ryein Goddard said:

I really have no idea.  I just post videos very rarely.  I didn't use any of Linus's stuff so I am confused.

No, it is YOUTUBE'S broken algorithm doing this. The ContentID system got changed for some reason and it's being REALLY heavy for some reason.

From reading this and watching the stream it's been blown out of proportions, Linux Gamer should have sent an email to LTT explaining the situation and got it resolved that way, it could have taken 10 mins tops to get sorted. YT's automated screening is useless, I've had videos up on youtube and have then reported by the auto systems and what was the most amusing thing is that I was being reported to myself, I had infringed on my own copyright according to youtube.

YT needs to relook at how they deal with matters like this in future.

Fats

Mine was a video comparing Windows and Linux, where I ran Valley benchmark. LTT's video was a hardware video where one of the test run was the Valley benchmark. So large parts of the video were almost identical for some parts as both videos.

1 minute ago, Ryein Goddard said:

I haven't looked at your video, however in the past few days there have been a large number of false-positives generated by Youtube's automated ContentID system. If you believe that you are not infringing on LTTs copyright, then please file a dispute on the claim.

The copyright claims should be handled by LTTs MCN Fullscreen, however you can also reach out to the team at LTT using the email address found on their Youtube About page, or send a private message to @LinusTech or @nicklmg (click their names and it will take you to their profile, where you can then hit the Message button to send them a message) here on the forum and they may be able to assist you in the process or expedite the dispute.

If your video is monetised, then any monetisation will be held by Youtube for a period of time to allow you to dispute the claim, and if the claim is disputed and found to be non-genuine, you should not lose any ad revenue as a result of this.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, PendragonUK said:

I got one of these content claims today on one of my videos. As my video predated the LTT one by almost a year I put it down Youtube being Youtube and Youtube is a dick. I disputed it through Youtube system and I'll let Youtube sort it out. I don't have any issue with LTT or any of the team. Automated content screening is really dumb and I think everyone should know this by now.

1 minute ago, PendragonUK said:

Mine was a video comparing Windows and Linux, where I ran Valley benchmark. LTT's video was a hardware video where one of the test run was the Valley benchmark. So large parts of the video were almost identical for some parts as both videos.

That has been a common issue where Heaven's Valley benchmark is being flagged. It's a fault in whatever changes YouTube made to the Content ID system. As you have already done, dispute the claim and within a few days it should be resolved. If you need to reach out to the team at LTT, refer to the above post for ways of contacting them.

Just now, Spotty said:

The copyright claims should be handled by LTTs MCN Fullscreen, however you can also reach out to the team at LTT using the email address found on their Youtube About page, or send a private message to @LinusTech or @nicklmg (click their names and it will take you to their profile, where you can then hit the Message button to send them a message) here on the forum and they may be able to assist you in the process or expedite the dispute.

I posted this idea on the live stream Linus just did, but thought I'd get a better audience here.

I honestly don't know if it's something about the internet bringing thing's out in people or just giving them a megaphone, but people really love to be angry/complain/cause drama.

I'm getting back into World of Tanks and went to watch the release video from WG about the Frontline mode....... And of course one of the top comment's was a guy bashing the game because he doesn't have enough time to play it to get the rewards........ I mean seriously? You have work and family obligations so the maker of the game needs to cater to you and you're going to pound your spoon and raise your pitch fork?  Your to busy to game, freakin own it.

Anyways far to many people have attitudes like this about many thing's.  I'm just a little worried that most of the world is literally that dumb and/or selfish.

10 minutes ago, DasGanon said:

really find it hard when he himself was a part of censorship at his own event, feels hypocritical.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

in case anyone missed it

1 hour ago, Psittac said:

And of course one of the top comment's was a guy bashing the game because he doesn't have enough time to play it to get the rewards

yeah this is one of the people who would walk into a gituar school and scream "I HATE GITUARS" had it not be off the internet ._.

This is all completely uninteresting and boring. Why don't we focus on the more important stuff, why isn't WAN show up, and why can't I even watch it on floatplane?

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

28 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

really find it hard when he himself was a part of censorship at his own event, feels hypocritical.  

explain?