Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobbinM

The U.S. government and Facebook are negotiating a record, multibillion-dollar fine for the company’s privacy lapses

SansVarnic

Please remember that political banter or bating will be removed.

Message added by SansVarnic

Posted · Original PosterOP

RARLYLRIYAI6TEDOTVK3MRI6WQ.jpg

The Federal Trade Commission and Facebook are negotiating over a multi-billion dollar fine that would settle the agency’s investigation into the social media giant’s privacy practices, according to two people familiar with the probe.

The fine would be the largest the agency has ever imposed on a technology company, but the two sides have not yet agreed on an exact amount.

Article on the Washington Post

Why does it seem to me that they are haggling over the price of peoples privacy?

Why does this make me feel that Facebook will be paying an accaptable price for something so priceless? This fine should hurt Facebook, not make it giggle.

No signature found

I have to have a Facebook account, so if the FTC could just tack that on to my tax return that would be great.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's not how fines work. They shouldn't be negotiable. You screw up you pay. Try to screw up less. Otherwise they serve no purpose.

Ya, but this is Murika.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB Liquid Cooling(EK-Supremacy sTR4 RGB - Nickel, EK-CoolStream SE 280, EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black x 2, EK-XRES 100 SPC-60 MX PWM (incl. pump), EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm - Red (6-pack), EK-DuraClear 9,5/12,7mm 3M, and Scarlet Red Premix) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition(Replacing with a Radeon VII | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Blackout Edition with Cherry MX Silent Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Mass Drop Editions(Replacing with k712s) | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Surtr:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 Ryzen 7) | CPU Cooling: Wraith(Dark Rock Pro 4 when I get the 3700x or 3800x) | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GBs (2x8) DDR4-3200 | Storage: PNY - BX500 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 770 2GB /02G-P4-2770-KR(Temp/getting a Navi card later this year) | Case: Corsair - SPEC-DELTA RGB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | CPU Cooling: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawki | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial - BX200 240 GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC | Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB511 | PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Rosewill - NEON K85 RGB BR | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition 

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's not how fines work. They shouldn't be negotiable. You screw up you pay. Try to screw up less. Otherwise they serve no purpose.

but fine are variable, must laws have a from amount and the courts decide how hi to goes.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

but fine are variable, must laws have a from amount and the courts decide how hi to goes.

At which Facebook shouldn't have any say...

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Tech news in a year or two : "Facebook admits that US government gained full access to all users' data as part of 2019 deal"

The NSA has this little thing called "access terminals at all major US Network Hubs". They haven't really needed to ever ask.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

No, they *are* negotiable because national security is at risk as well. Microsoft went through the same thing way back then. I'm pretty sure part of the negotiations will include giving round-the-clock access and feeds to intelligence agencies. China has long had similar arrangements with its own mega-corporations, and America would be a fool to let such a chance slip by to rein in Facebook and remind them of their duty to their nation.

Allowing a technology company to run amok and disregard national considerations is recipe for trouble across the centuries. Speaking purely from the perspective of national interest, I don't think it's sensible to allow Facebook off with merely financial consequences from their series of actions.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

That's not how fines work. They shouldn't be negotiable

Nah it's like when the cops pull a hot girl over and she "negotiates" her way out of it with a low cut shirt.

Now that I think about it,

Image result for mark zuckerberg hot

No wonder Zucc is doing some "negotiating"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)