The U.S. government and Facebook are negotiating a record, multibillion-dollar fine for the company’s privacy lapses

RobbinM
Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember that political banter or bating will be removed.

RARLYLRIYAI6TEDOTVK3MRI6WQ.jpg

The Federal Trade Commission and Facebook are negotiating over a multi-billion dollar fine that would settle the agency’s investigation into the social media giant’s privacy practices, according to two people familiar with the probe.

The fine would be the largest the agency has ever imposed on a technology company, but the two sides have not yet agreed on an exact amount.

Article on the Washington Post

Why does it seem to me that they are haggling over the price of peoples privacy?

Why does this make me feel that Facebook will be paying an accaptable price for something so priceless? This fine should hurt Facebook, not make it giggle.

No signature found

I have to have a Facebook account, so if the FTC could just tack that on to my tax return that would be great.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's not how fines work. They shouldn't be negotiable. You screw up you pay. Try to screw up less. Otherwise they serve no purpose.

but fine are variable, must laws have a from amount and the courts decide how hi to goes.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

but fine are variable, must laws have a from amount and the courts decide how hi to goes.

At which Facebook shouldn't have any say...

Look, funding for the Wall has to come from somewhere right?

Why not just hit up FB for a valuable contribution to Border Security.............

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Tech news in a year or two : "Facebook admits that US government gained full access to all users' data as part of 2019 deal"

The NSA has this little thing called "access terminals at all major US Network Hubs". They haven't really needed to ever ask.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

That's not how fines work. They shouldn't be negotiable. You screw up you pay. Try to screw up less. Otherwise they serve no purpose.

No, they *are* negotiable because national security is at risk as well. Microsoft went through the same thing way back then. I'm pretty sure part of the negotiations will include giving round-the-clock access and feeds to intelligence agencies. China has long had similar arrangements with its own mega-corporations, and America would be a fool to let such a chance slip by to rein in Facebook and remind them of their duty to their nation.

Allowing a technology company to run amok and disregard national considerations is recipe for trouble across the centuries. Speaking purely from the perspective of national interest, I don't think it's sensible to allow Facebook off with merely financial consequences from their series of actions.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

That's not how fines work. They shouldn't be negotiable

Nah it's like when the cops pull a hot girl over and she "negotiates" her way out of it with a low cut shirt.

Now that I think about it,

Image result for mark zuckerberg hot

No wonder Zucc is doing some "negotiating"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad