Metro Exodus Benchmarks

CarlBar

Gamers Nexus has theirs out so here we go.

Written Article:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3440-metro-exodus-rtx-benchmark-built-in-vs-game-tests

There's a real lack of good quotable text in the article so i'm going to settle for a few images, hopefully thats not outside posting guidelines:

A look at 4K performance across all settings with a 2080Ti. Red line is in-game, blue is the games benchmark:

1_metro-exodus-bench-vs-game-scaling_all

Needless to say the benchmark isn't great at representing real world performance.

The next graph is 1080p Performance with Ultra graphics high RTX:

6_metro-exodus-bench-rtx-1080p-ultra.png

And 1440p with the same settings:

7_metro-exodus-bench-rtx-1440p-ultra.png

I think the main takeaway here is somthing we'd sort of realised allready. BFV's implementation of RTX was really poorly optimized. I mean in a slow enough paced game i'd say even the 4K Ultra/High RTX preset is playable. I don't know how fast paced Metro Exodus is so it may not be adequate for 4k in that. But overall i think these numbers do a lot to sweep some of the criticism of RTX aside. Which isn't to say there isn't still a  big performance hit involved. But They're getting playable frame rates at a variety of resolutions with all hardware.

GN's visual comparison video so you can see when and where the differences are.

Metro is slow paced if you sneak, fast paced if you don't.

I need performance metrics for a 1080ti damnit. I hope this shit will run in 4k this weekend.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, CarlBar said:

I mean in a slow enough paced game i'd say even the 4K Ultra/High RTX preset is playable.

4K Ultra + RTX High looks to be very playable framerates and decent minimums, a lot of the 'you need high fps for play shooters' is kind of bunk. Sure it makes a difference, game dependent, but it's not the difference between unplayable and playable nor not enjoyable and enjoyable.

Even when I used to play competitive COD4 framerate was never the critical factor in how well I personally performed, I was never better than 'decent' in that realm of players and I never felt my sub par old as hell computer was holding me back from getting better. In fact when I massively upgraded I played worse, at that point I had enough anyway so didn't care.

Edit:

*Not that I'd personally play using 4k, happy with 2560x1600 as it is.

1 hour ago, CarlBar said:

A look at 4K performance across all settings with a 2080Ti. Red line is in-game, blue is the games benchmark:
Needless to say the benchmark isn't great at representing real world performance.

Not surprising. Previous Metro Benchmarks have been rather demanding, more-so than the game itself. Looking at the previous games benchmarks, they appear to be designed to be very intensive to push the system as hard as possible. Wouldn't surprise me if the new Metro benchmark was designed the same with a million particle effects and lighting effects all on screen at once along with dozens of enemy AIs and physics simulations happening. I consider them to be more of a benchmark tool rather than a way to gauge actual expected gameplay performance. Credit to Gamers Nexus for distinguishing between benchmark and gameplay results though, as if one review outlet used the benchmark and is saying "We got 45FPS in Metro" and another used gameplay and is saying "we got 70FPS in Metro" it could lead to confusion amongst the audience.

56 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I need performance metrics for a 1080ti damnit. I hope this shit will run in 4k this weekend.

As a 1080ti owner and person who enjoyed the previous Metro games, 1080ti benchmarks would be nice... But let's face it, I'm not going to be playing this game anyway after what the publishers did regarding Epic Game exclusivity and giving the proverbial finger to customers.

51 minutes ago, leadeater said:

4K Ultra + RTX High looks to be very playable framerates and decent minimums, a lot of the 'you need high fps for play shooters' kind of bunk. Sure it makes a difference, game dependent, but it's not the different between unplayable and playable nor not enjoyable and enjoyable.

IMO Metro is one of those games where it's better to crank the settings up to ultra, take the FPS hit, and just enjoy the visuals, detail and atmosphere. Since it's single player and not a competitive online shooter*, having a really high framerate isn't as important or beneficial, and as long as you're getting something that you would consider 'playable' (>60fps) you'll be fine.

(*That's assuming that this new Metro doesn't come out with a fricken Battle Royale mode...)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Metro knows its audience by having a harsh built-in benchmark. It's really cheap advertising.

Verdict so far is that DXR is working well, but DLSS is broken. We'll see if that's just DLSS itself issue or Metro's implementation. 

Though it should probably be noted that the game can't really be run effectively at 4k Extrema with RTX On. That's a bit on the Developers for that weakness, unless the Extreme setting was left there just so it's going to be benchmarked for the next 2 years. I'm sure someone has done analysis on long-term sales vis a vis common Benchmarks, so I'm curious if we'll see some more of the Crysis Approach again.

Metro has usually looked quite the part and people are generally willing to crank up the settings to as high as they can to enjoy the visuals since it's generally a slower paced game compared to a typical multiplayer game. 

Kind of a shame that we only have one place to get it from until next year. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

better cool your GPU with vodka.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

60 FPS minimum at 1080p, RTX high with a 2060 look promising for RTX having a more-than-gimmick future.

Something I just noticed looking at the RTX On/Off comparisons: what type of monitor you have is really going to matter. You need pretty high contrast for RTX, at least Metro's Global Illumination approach, to actually look better. Most lightning systems are designed to look good on TN panels, which is part of why IPS and VA look so much better in comparison. With RTX, I'm not sure a lot of the extra illumination effects work well without that high contrast.

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Take numbers from vanilla RTX 2080 without RTX. That's what GTX 1080Ti will get. Plus, 1080Ti has more VRAM so it might even have an edge there.

BF V ray tracing implementation was poorly optimized because at start you got either max ray tracing or very little ray tracing, nothing in-between. Eventually detail levels were lowered to give more playable frame rates. 

Meanwhile, it seems like Exodus implementation of ray tracing is half baked, so it doesn't hit the frames as hard as BF V did. Tho DLSS is pretty much trash at the moment

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

10 minutes ago, PrinceNorris said:

Epic games need epic hardware. But really, who cares about reflections in the dirty ground or eyeballs in a story driven game.

Eye candy is always welcome on story driven games for immersion, but RTX was never needed to make ambient lighting any more realistic than you could do with common rasterization, just look at how awesome lighting works in Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I would enjoy charts for the game running with RTX off and comparing AMD's offerings alongside Pascal, probably gonna need to wait on Hardware Unboxed for this one.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Currently at work, can't read or watch the video. What type of ray tracing they implement in M:E? Reflection? Ambient Occlusion? Shadow? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Currently at work, can't read or watch the video. What type of ray tracing they implement in M:E? Reflection? Ambient Occlusion? Shadow? 

Global illumination. lighting basically.

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Something I just noticed looking at the RTX On/Off comparisons: what type of monitor you have is really going to matter. You need pretty high contrast for RTX, at least Metro's Global Illumination approach, to actually look better. Most lightning systems are designed to look good on TN panels, which is part of why IPS and VA look so much better in comparison. With RTX, I'm not sure a lot of the extra illumination effects work well without that high contrast.

Hmmm, quite possibly. I can certainly spot the difference no issue on mine, but i remember when i first got this monitor being shocked by the difference it made.

7 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Verdict so far is that DXR is working well

Is it working well? Performance is acceptable with this title, but honestly the comparisons I've seen DXR is adding very little visual fidelity.

51 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Hmmm, quite possibly. I can certainly spot the difference no issue on mine, but i remember when i first got this monitor being shocked by the difference it made.

With good IPS or VA, you'll get the contrast in the shadows. There's a gamma mode in the settings, so most will need to tweak settings to be able to see anything in the shadows with RTX on.

31 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Is it working well? Performance is acceptable with this title, but honestly the comparisons I've seen DXR is adding very little visual fidelity.

It's not causing crashes, hitches or strange artifacts. So it is "working well". Doesn't mean it adds a lot, but it is working.

54 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Cool, basically proper lighting(almost). To bad it didn't affect shadow though and with RTX off AO look super broken. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

9 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

You ain't the only one who is complaining about the 1080Ti being left out of the benchmarks.

Though, by looking at the RTX2080 with RTX off, that should give an idea of what the 1080Ti can do.

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

As a 1080ti owner and person who enjoyed the previous Metro games, 1080ti benchmarks would be nice... But let's face it, I'm not going to be playing this game anyway after what the publishers did regarding Epic Game exclusivity and giving the proverbial finger to customers.

Same.  I'm skipping the game for now.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Cool, basically proper lighting(almost). To bad it didn't affect shadow though and with RTX off AO look super broken. 

Oh shadows are part of that..

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Hate to say it but i think @Taf the Ghost has it right, it's going to depend on your monitor. To me in most scenes there's a very clear difference between the two.

Note i have now added GN's prior RTX visual comparison video to the OP.

1 hour ago, CarlBar said:

Oh shadows are part of that..

Hate to say it but i think @Taf the Ghost has it right, it's going to depend on your monitor. To me in most scenes there's a very clear difference between the two.

Note i have now added GN's prior RTX visual comparison video to the OP.

Metro has a gamma mode setting to handle some of it, but it's going to take work if you don't have a VA or corrected IPS panel.

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Metro has a gamma mode setting to handle some of it, but it's going to take work if you don't have a VA or corrected IPS panel.

If you have a tn panel you probably shouldn't have rtx on anyways.  

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

If you have a tn panel you probably shouldn't have rtx on anyways.  

One of the high quality TN panels that came out in 2018 should be fine, but it's an issue with RTX for now. Or several years, actually.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

One of the high quality TN panels that came out in 2018 should be fine, but it's an issue with RTX for now. Or several years, actually.

That's like saying 4k is an issue because it doesn't show on a 1080p monitor. At some point you need a good monitor to properly show certain advances in gaming. I can't run HDR10 on my 1080p tn monitor so I guess HDR10 has issues. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

That's like saying 4k is an issue because it doesn't show on a 1080p monitor. At some point you need a good monitor to properly show certain advances in gaming. I can't run HDR10 on my 1080p tn monitor so I guess HDR10 has issues. 

Considering there's almost no true HDR monitors on the market yet, HDR has issues for a while.

Main thing is monitors are the last thing that people tend to upgrade. By the time RTX won't have issues, DXR should be pretty standard. I guess that works. But it's "interesting" tech for another 2 generations.