AT 2020 Extreme background static

zconflictz7
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
7 minutes ago, zconflictz7 said:

The mic isnt clipping. the static is heard when listening on the computer. I wasn't able to use direct monitor since i don't have headphones to plug into it. is it possible that its most likely interference from my computer? 

It's possible. Any number of things can cause interference on the computer end. Is it plugged in to the front case USB port or the motherboard USB port? Maybe try a different USB port and see if that helps. Also check the sound settings for the device in your OS to see if there's any settings there you may need to change.

If you're interested you can get 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters on amazon etc for a few dollars. That will let you plug 3.5mm devices in to the 1/4" jack on the mixer.

5 hours ago, zconflictz7 said:

Any time I bump or touch my mic arm it has a static attack.

Loose cable perhaps? Check the XLR cables are firmly secured in place and fully inserted.

I have an AT 2020 condenser mic with a Behringer UMC22 2x2 mixer. In the background, there is extreme static and computer interference sounds. Sometimes my mic will have like a stroke and start blasting static killing my friend's ears. Any time I bump or touch my mic arm it has a static attack. The only way to stop the static is to unplug the xlr connection on the Mic, sometimes that doesn't even fix it. Im trying to figure out if the problem is my computer, Mic, or mixer. Thanks

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Are you using phantom?

Is that the 48v setting on the mixer? or is that a program?

sorry, its been a while since I set it up. 

1 hour ago, zconflictz7 said:

Is that the 48v setting on the mixer? or is that a program?

sorry, its been a while since I set it up. 

48V on the mixer 

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

48V on the mixer 

Yea its on. The static happens when its on or off. 

If you use the direct monitor is the static still there, or only when listening to it through the computer?
What's the gain set on the mic? Is it clipping?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

If you use the direct monitor is the static still there, or only when listening to it through the computer?
What's the gain set on the mic? Is it clipping?

The mic isnt clipping. the static is heard when listening on the computer. I wasn't able to use direct monitor since i don't have headphones to plug into it. is it possible that its most likely interference from my computer? 

7 minutes ago, zconflictz7 said:

It's possible. Any number of things can cause interference on the computer end. Is it plugged in to the front case USB port or the motherboard USB port? Maybe try a different USB port and see if that helps. Also check the sound settings for the device in your OS to see if there's any settings there you may need to change.

If you're interested you can get 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters on amazon etc for a few dollars. That will let you plug 3.5mm devices in to the 1/4" jack on the mixer.

5 hours ago, zconflictz7 said:

Any time I bump or touch my mic arm it has a static attack.

Loose cable perhaps? Check the XLR cables are firmly secured in place and fully inserted.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

Thank you for your reply. I'm gonna use what you mentioned to see if that works. 

-= Moved to Audio =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER