GTX 1050 DELL optiplex 3010 no signal

kcns

installed a gtx 1050 low profile card in my dell optiplex 3010 SFF (i5-3470, 4gb ram,500gb hdd, 240W PSU model). The machine boots normally and is completely functional if i remove the GPU and connect the HDMI to motherboard directly

With HDMI plugged into the 1050, pc boots, all fans spin but no signal to monitor. I've updated BIOS to latest A19 version, set boot mode to UEFI, converted windows install to gpt already. I've heard the 240W PSU might be a bit underpowered for running a 1050 alongside the other stuff in the case while gaming, but I dont think this is the issue here as I have never had the entire system completely be able to boot but not display a image at all like this. correct me on this if im wrong though

EDIT: Tested the 1050 in another pc, the card is fine

Anyone have any further ideas how to fix this thing?

Yep, tested it with a i7 6700k/z170x setup and it worked fine. That's what really stumps me right now. The card and the PC both appear to be fine, but putting them together = not fine

8 hours ago, kcns said:

installed a gtx 1050 low profile card in my dell optiplex 3010 SFF (i5-3470, 4gb ram,500gb hdd, 240W PSU model). The machine boots normally and is completely functional if i remove the GPU and connect the HDMI to motherboard directly

With HDMI plugged into the 1050, pc boots, all fans spin but no signal to monitor. I've updated BIOS to latest A19 version, set boot mode to UEFI, converted windows install to gpt already. I've heard the 240W PSU might be a bit underpowered for running a 1050 alongside the other stuff in the case while gaming, but I dont think this is the issue here as I have never had the entire system completely be able to boot but not display a image at all like this. correct me on this if im wrong though

EDIT: Tested the 1050 in another pc, the card is fine

Anyone have any further ideas how to fix this thing?

ya i think you might want to replace the psu. i suggest something like a 450w seasonic focus gold

Damn....

Yea i was leaving that to a last resort, guess time to try another psu. Is it normal for the pc to boot, with all fans spinning etc and just the gpu not work due to lack of power? I havent personally seen this before tbh, and it is definitely booted because when i connect the hdmi to onboard graphics with gpu installed, the screen gets a signal and error message basically saying 'plug the cable into your graphics card'

18 minutes ago, kcns said:

Yea i was leaving that to a last resort, guess time to try another psu. Is it normal for the pc to boot, with all fans spinning etc and just the gpu not work due to lack of power? I havent personally seen this before tbh, and it is definitely booted because when i connect the hdmi to onboard graphics with gpu installed, the screen gets a signal and error message basically saying 'plug the cable into your graphics card'

Sadly, you're screwed.

The PCI-E Slot does not output 75W as a standard PCI-E slot does. It only outputs 35W, which is not enough for a GTX 1050. So what I would do is harvest your CPU, RAM, HDD, and GPU and buy a new Mobo/Case/PSU.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :*(

Also even if I were wrong good TFX power supplies are basically nonexistent and the thermal properties of a dell SFF system are compatible to all of LMG's attempts at homebrew air cooling so you arent at a loss for much.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

well thats new I wasnt aware this thing only outputs 35W, is there any place I can read into this a bit more? Do you know how this guy is able to make a 1050ti work with the exact same model(optiplex 3010/i5 3470)? Any idea if it would be possible to power this thing with either a power cable like you do on a 1070, or perhaps with a powered pcie riser?

2 minutes ago, kcns said:

well thats new I wasnt aware this thing only outputs 35W, is there any place I can read into this a bit more? Do you know how this guy is able to make a 1050ti work with the exact same model(optiplex 3010/i5 3470)? Like am I missing a power cable to the gpu or something weird?

You know. I really do wish I could tell you how he made that work, because there is literally 0 reason it should. I was wrong, it is 50W but that still isn't enough.

It depends what chassis type of 3010 you have. The Mini Tower PCIe x16 slot supports up to 75W, whilst the Desktop and Small Form Factor both support up to 50W. 

Source: https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/Dell-Optiplex-3010-PCI-E-Port-Power-Capabilities/td-p/6035310

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Ok thanks for the info. Have you had any experience with powered risers before by any chance? I've only seen them used in mining rigs before but I'm wondering if one of those could solve the power issue if i were to supply the required power to the riser then popped the 1050 in it

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 12:58 AM, kcns said:

Ok thanks for the info. Have you had any experience with powered risers before by any chance? I've only seen them used in mining rigs before but I'm wondering if one of those could solve the power issue if i were to supply the required power to the riser then popped the 1050 in it

Not to sound rude but. If the PCi-E is outputting less than the required power for the 1050ti LP then how will you turn 50w into 75w, it's not physically possible unless you buy the standard 1050ti that has external power connectors, that card isn't going anywhere with the optiplex