OBS Streaming from 144Hz Single PC

Hey Folks,

I own a 144Hz Gaming Monitor and would like to stream Games from one PC. I am trying to use OBS but I'm experiencing Render Lags/Stalls. How can this be eliminated ?

My system has Ryzen 7 2700X and Nvidia RTX 2080 with 16GB DDR4 RAM.

I'm attaching OBS Logs for you to see my settings.
My system is set with VSync on Adaptive.

Log.txt

The issue is that you're streaming at 144 fps in OBS. That is way too many frames for it to render. I'd recommend dropping it down to 60fps. It won't impact your game's framerate, only the stream's. Youtube and Twitch don't even support anything over 60 fps (as far as I'm aware) so the viewers won't even notice.

1.) 3500bitrate is less than ideal for streaming 720p60FPS, you're doing it at 720p144FPS.

2.) The NVENC encoder in Turing cards is better at low bitrates than CPU x264 encoder. Use NVENC instead. 

3.) Try to run games in true full screen mode instead of windowed or borderless. That may help a lot with stutters. 

27 minutes ago, Warlockben said:

The issue is that you're streaming at 144 fps in OBS. That is way too many frames for it to render. I'd recommend dropping it down to 60fps. It won't impact your game's framerate, only the stream's. Youtube and Twitch don't even support anything over 60 fps (as far as I'm aware) so the viewers won't even notice.

So I changed the fps value from fractal to common and locked it at 60. The render lag and stall is still there.

For e.g. In Apex Legends or Resident Evil 2 I don't have VSync enabled since my Desktop is already on Adaptive through Nvidia Control Panel. Render lags exist in this situation.

Coming to Forza Horizon 4 then I have locked both my Monitor's Refresh rate and Ingame fps at 60 and I see no Render Lags/Stalls in that case.

As you would know I really need those FPS in Competitive Games so I have no problems in locking down Resident Evil 2 and Forza (I locked Forza due to its rubber banding issue and not OBS, I would hate to lock a game just because of OBS) but I can't really lock Apex Legends (or Six Siege  CSGO PUBG) to 60fps as it then defeats the purpose of 144Hz Monitor.

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

1.) 3500bitrate is less than ideal for streaming 720p60FPS, you're doing it at 720p144FPS.

2.) The NVENC encoder in Turing cards is better at low bitrates than CPU x264 encoder. Use NVENC instead. 

3.) Try to run games in true full screen mode instead of windowed or borderless. That may help a lot with stutters. 

I set it to 3500 since my upload averages around 6500-8000... What rate would you recommend ?

I can change it to NVENC no problem I will try that.

The games I run are on true full screen. If it goes Borderless then I change it back to full screen.

Read the message above this one for some more details

Just now, MoNeY2TechTips said:

I set it to 3500 since my upload averages around 6500-8000... What rate would you recommend ?

I can change it to NVENC no problem I will try that.

The games I run are on true full screen. If it goes Borderless then I change it back to full screen.

Read the message above this one for some more details

4000bitrate is the lowest recommended for 720p60FPS for games with no rapid movements. For something like Apex 6000bitrate would be recommended. But that's for CPU x264 and VeryFast preset. 

Slower presets would improve the quality at lower bitrates but CPU usage goes up. 

That said, you can get away with 3500. Just try to experiment. 

Obviously, hither bitrates means that viewers also need to have faster internet to view your stream. 

In OBS, Advanced options, try to lower the process priority for OBS as well. 

In Windows, try to increase the process priority for the games trough task manager. 

Hey Guys,

So I set my Common FPS Value to 60 and changed my encoder from x264 to NVENC with Low Latency High Quality preset and High Profile. I also read somewhere that disabling the Preview also helps so I have disabled Preview too.

I ran Apex legends and I am still getting around 30% of Render Lags/Stalls. Here is the recent Log.

Please advise

Log 15th Feb.txt

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 1:11 PM, MoNeY2TechTips said:

Guys can anyone help !!!

Well mate, the true is if you go over 95% GPU utlization you'll get rendering lag and that is going to look horrible to the end user, unfortunately there's no way to fix it other than limiting the framerate with riva turner to lower GPU utlization using a framecap, other options are dual streaming setups, but those require a second pc and capture cards, so if you want to 144hz at 1440p you're out of luck, but at 1080p you shouldn't have those issues, just use VSYNC or cap the framerate.