Problems with power supply

AxilDuke

Hello,

Since I got my new sapphire RX580 whenever I play demanding games, my pc restarts automatically.

My specs are a i5 6500K with a NH-D14 cooler, 16GB ram and the aforementioned RX580 8gb

and currently it's supplied by a corsair VS650 Watt which I bought, like, around early 2014.

I have checked the temperatures while playing and I'm sure that neither the cpu or gpu is overheating.

The only thing that's left (as far as I know) is that the power supply is either dysfunctional or insufficient.

So I was hoping to get your opinions on the matter, should upgrade my psu and if so what would you recommend.

Thank you very much for your responses. 

Do you mean windows actually restarts of the system suddenly loses all power and begins to turn back on?

If its the latter, I would say its an issue with insufficient power. Wattage wise though, that PSU should be plenty. If you have access to another PSU you could quickly test it make sure that is the issue that would be helpful.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Do you mean windows actually restarts of the system suddenly loses all power and begins to turn back on?

If its the latter, I would say its an issue with insufficient power. Wattage wise though, that PSU should be plenty. If you have access to another PSU you could quickly test it make sure that is the issue that would be helpful.

The whole system suddenly loses all power and begins to turn back on.

Sadly I don't have another psu to test out

5 minutes ago, AxilDuke said:

Are you able to check temperatures using something like MSI afterbunrer for GPU and CPU? I would say its either shutting off because of insufficient power, or its overheating and turning off to protect itself. I would think its more likely a loss of power. Without another PSU to test though, its not something anyone can 100% diagnose as the problem.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Are you able to check temperatures using something like MSI afterbunrer for GPU and CPU? I would say its either shutting off because of insufficient power, or its overheating and turning off to protect itself. I would think its more likely a loss of power. Without another PSU to test though, its not something anyone can 100% diagnose as the problem.

I've checked the temps using afterburner and their always in safe margins below 60.

2 minutes ago, AxilDuke said:

I've checked the temps using afterburner and their always in safe margins below 60.

Well sitting at desktop is one thing, once you start playing games it turns into a entire different story for temps. Even a system with a liquid cooler with a dead/dying pump can idle for quite a bit without issue but once you start playing games it immediately spikes temps.

4 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

it sounds like one of your power cables are not fully seated

Does that mean that any cable can be unplugged and the problem would still persist?

i.e. one of the cables from the gpu not being seated properly.

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Well sitting at desktop is one thing, once you start playing games it turns into a entire different story for temps. Even a system with a liquid cooler with a dead/dying pump can idle for quite a bit without issue but once you start playing games it immediately spikes temps.

Yeah I meant I've measured it during gameplay and the temperature was normal

Just now, AxilDuke said:

Does that mean that any cable can be unplugged and the problem would still persist?

i.e. one of the cables from the gpu not being seated properly.

Yeah I meant I've measured it during gameplay and the temperature was normal

yes I have had this issue before  I was using cable extensions and once the system drew enough power the computer would shut down randomly while playing games.  

2 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

yes I have had this issue before  I was using cable extensions and once the system drew enough power the computer would shut down randomly while playing games.  

Thanks man I'll check it out.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If anything is overclocked, try disabling it. 

Yeah I've already done that.

1 hour ago, AxilDuke said:

Hello,

Since I got my new sapphire RX580 whenever I play demanding games, my pc restarts automatically.

My specs are a i5 6500K with a NH-D14 cooler, 16GB ram and the aforementioned RX580 8gb

and currently it's supplied by a corsair VS650 Watt which I bought, like, around early 2014.

I have checked the temperatures while playing and I'm sure that neither the cpu or gpu is overheating.

The only thing that's left (as far as I know) is that the power supply is either dysfunctional or insufficient.

So I was hoping to get your opinions on the matter, should upgrade my psu and if so what would you recommend.

Thank you very much for your responses. 

If you have the older VS650, you need a new PSU.

The sudden load is probably causing the voltages to drop.  It's not shutting the PSU off because the voltages are probably not low enough to trip UVP but are enough for the graphics card to lose its shit.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you have the older VS650, you need a new PSU.

The sudden load is probably causing the voltages to drop.  It's not shutting the PSU off because the voltages are probably not low enough to trip UVP but are enough for the graphics card to lose its shit. 

Thanks a lot man I'll definitely take it under consideration.

Just a question, is 650 Watt enough for my build?

1 hour ago, ELSknutson said:

So cable extension are bad?

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

13 minutes ago, AxilDuke said:

A good 400W is already plenty. A good one, not a random one. 

:)

47 minutes ago, AxilDuke said:

650W is more than enough.  It's not a matter of not enough power.  It's a matter of having a double forward PSU that doesn't like transient spikes. 

44 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Very bad.  Ohms law. 

28 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

650W is more than enough.  It's not a matter of not enough power.  It's a matter of having a double forward PSU that doesn't like transient spikes. 

Is double forward really the cause for high transient response time?? Because Tom's Hardware doesn't show high transient response time with the CXM. 

4 hours ago, AxilDuke said:

You need a new PSU.

Your VS might be a bit old and not up to the task.

So replace it with a better quality PSU, Wattage is not relevant. A good 400-450W PSU is more than sufficient. Emphasis on GOOD, not Watt.

For example: Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Is double forward really the cause for high transient response time?? Because Tom's Hardware doesn't show high transient response time with the CXM. 

The PSU is not tested in a thorough enough way to reflect what you're experiencing.  Transient response spikes from graphics cards can be less Tha 10ms, and some repeat in cycles that are too fast for the supervisor IC to react. 

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Very bad.  Ohms law. 

Are u joking or serious I couldn’t tell, cause I was thinking f buying some pls let me know?

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

47 minutes ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Are u joking or serious I couldn’t tell, cause I was thinking f buying some pls let me know?

No, he's not.

Especially the additional connections are bad.

You might get away with it in some cases, but especially with already modular cables, it is an issue and will cause Problems in the right situations.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

no but sometimes they can cause issues

16 hours ago, vjizzle2384 said:

Not joking.

You're adding an additional connector and added cable length.  This adds resistance.  This resistance causes votages to drop.  Cable extensions are bad.

27 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Not joking.

You're adding an additional connector and added cable length.  This adds resistance.  This resistance causes votages to drop.  Cable extensions are bad.

K thank you for education me.  

My PC:

My Kids PC: