Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xengri

Can I disable AMD Vega 8 GPU on a Laptop?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought an Asus laptop which came with a Ryzen 5 2500U and a GTX1050 with 8GB RAM, I want to know if I can disable de Vega 8 integrated graphics in the Ryzen CPU since it does nothing but use RAM. Also, I would like to know if it could be done the other way, can I disable the GTX 1050? I would like to do it because it would improve battery life when I'm doing lite work on the go as the Vega GPU is enough for that and I don't need the RAM. If not, I would like to know how to disable the Vega 8 and get the 2GB out of 8GB of RAM it is using free. I won't be using 2 GPU's at once so I want to know if I can disable either of them.

If your laptop is working properly, the Vega 8 or 1050 will automatically switch depending on the task. For gaming it'll use the 1050 and for light web browsing it'll use Vega, no need for you to disable anything.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

If your laptop is working properly, the Vega 8 or 1050 will automatically switch depending on the task. For gaming it'll use the 1050 and for light web browsing it'll use Vega, no need for you to disable anything.

The main thing I would like to do is to get those 2GB of RAM free, battery life, after all, won't improve that much, but I want the 2GB of RAM back, I thought that disabling the Vega 8 would do the trick.

7 minutes ago, Xengri said:

The main thing I would like to do is to get those 2GB of RAM free, battery life, after all, won't improve that much, but I want the 2GB of RAM back, I thought that disabling the Vega 8 would do the trick.

Start the laptop with F2 pressed and you should enter BIOS, there you could look for the iGPU framebuffer setting at 2G and lower it to 128MB?

On 2/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, Zagna said:

Start the laptop with F2 pressed and you should enter BIOS, there you could look for the iGPU framebuffer setting at 2G and lower it to 128MB?

the BIOS on the laptop is so simple it doesn't offer anything apart from boot order and some usb and sata settings

On 2/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, Xengri said:

battery life, after all, won't improve that much

Your battery life would get considerably worse disabling the iGPU, so uh... It kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop...

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

2 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Your battery life would get considerably worse disabling the iGPU, so uh... It kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop...

Well, I think I will just let it as it is, getting 1GB of RAM won't do much anyways, I am better of just using the iGPU and disabling the dedicated graphics.